Project Ripple [in development]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Caneri

#76 Post by Caneri »

Hi Dinky,

Here a link on my mirror in Florida.

http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux ... /test_iso/

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

aarf

#77 Post by aarf »

ripple_06.2
GPRS connect works but you must have a pup_save file active to see the "PGPRS Connect" and "PGPRS Setup" links in the network menu. If you dont have a pup_save file then you need to do as per the attached images.

from menu>Setup>wizard wizard>connet to internet>intenet by wireless GPRS modem> (now look at attached images gprs.internet.png) > then in a terminal/consol (now look at attached images pgprs-connect.png)
Attachments
pgprs-connect.png
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 1530 times
gprs.internet.png
(64.41 KiB) Downloaded 1533 times

aarf

#78 Post by aarf »

Ripple6.3 Emerald still needs to use the ctl+alt+backspace to do a selection.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 22 Nov 2008, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

LaneLester

#79 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:Hi folks! Test iso ripple_06-3.iso uploading now. This is my first attempt at integrating proprietry Nvidia & ATI drivers into Ripple. Testers please!

*Remember, Ripple won't work unless you choose the x24 resolution in the xorgwizard, REGARDLESS of what support your graphics card has. i.e., this would be 1024x768x24 NOT 1024x768x16.
No joy, dinky! The same as with 06-2, it recognized my nVidia card and offered to install the driver. But I still didn't have window manipulation stuff.

And this time I "remembered" to select 24-bit graphics. The quotation marks are because I failed to see that tip before.

Lane

dinky

#80 Post by dinky »

Hi Lane, I know you've done it before, but can you post your graphics card again? I'll do some research over the next wee and see what I come up with.

@aarf
Thanks for all that info! I'll reply soon.

~dinky

LaneLester

#81 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:Hi Lane, I know you've done it before, but can you post your graphics card again? I'll do some research over the next wee and see what I come up with.
I don't mind at all. I just know it as a generic 5500, but Ripple reports it to be a:
NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]
and it says it's going to install:
nvidia - 173.14.12
for the driver.

I know it's an older card, but the drivers exist since Ubuntu Intrepid will install a proprietary driver for it.

Later: I just found this on Wikipedia which is not encouraging:
The GeForce FX series is no longer supported by the binary NVidia drivers as of version 177.80. Owners of GeForce FX hardware now have to use the legacy drivers, which cannot be used at the same time as the regular drivers and will not be updated to work with newer Linux kernels or Xorg releases.

I may have to buy a new card, but I'm reluctant because I don't do any gaming, and I didn't like Compiz in Ubuntu. Essentially, it seemed too elitest, designed for people who didn't have a life and spent all their time tweaking their desktops. There were a zillion options and no clue as to what they did (in plain English) or what settings might be useful.

Off-topic remark: I found the 60-2 background much more engaging than the 60-3. The minute it popped on the screen I called my wife to come enjoy it with me.

Lane

aarf

#82 Post by aarf »

<removed false suggestion>
Last edited by aarf on Sat 22 Nov 2008, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

dinky

#83 Post by dinky »

@ aarf. I don't think so... but we can try. As far as I know the vmlinuz is made differently when rebuilt from unleashed, and the initrd.gz has also changed. It's not particularly hard to download an iso, so I'm unlikley to do that.

@ LaneLester
Try manual configuration, and choose the earlier card drivers (96.something-or-other) If you got it working in Ubuntu, we'll get it working in Ripple. Does wNOP or TigerPup work on that card? Yeah, I think I prefer the 06-2 config as well.. someone had mentioned a dockbar that didn't autohide, so I thought I'd play around with other settings. Cheers.

~dinky

LaneLester

#84 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:@ LaneLester
Try manual configuration, and choose the earlier card drivers (96.something-or-other) If you got it working in Ubuntu, we'll get it working in Ripple. Does wNOP or TigerPup work on that card?
I tried manual configuration, but when I selected nVidia, it immediately proceeded without offering me a choice of drivers.

I discovered that Ubuntu is using driver "173".

TigerPup works fine with all window goodies. I observed that it is using driver 100.14.19.

Lane

aarf

#85 Post by aarf »

Compiz Icon>configure compiz>General>general options>edge trigger delay needs to be moved above zero to say 2 or 3. With this setting both emerald and compriz management become easier in small screens. Double clicking the quit button in emerald is made possible.

dinky

#86 Post by dinky »

Thanks aarf. I'll have a look at the drivers shortly ane, no time for the next day or two however. Thanks for sticking with it, I'll try and get a fix happening. I'm sure we'll get it working. I'll answer all the above in more detail in the next few days. Thans for your enthusiasm folks!
~dinky

aarf

#87 Post by aarf »

until the graphic designers/artist do their magic:
attached GPRS icon.
Note that GPRS isn't supported in native Xandros on eeePC 701 so GPRS is a definite selling point for ripple.
Attachments
test2.png
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 1372 times

dinky

#88 Post by dinky »

Thanks aarf. Can you explain to me what gprs is? I'm woefully ignorant. Cheers.

~dinky

aarf

#89 Post by aarf »

@dinky Gprs lets you connect your laptop to the internet via cable or bluetooth to/with your mobile phone at any location you can use your mobile phone . Gprs/EDGE is a pre 3G technology that is still the only one used in large parts of some countries. The same connection scripts can also be used to do the same for 3G at least in Knoppix so I assume in puppy too.

dinky

#90 Post by dinky »

That's really awesome! I'll have to try it when I get a chance, though I'm not sure how to do it with my mobile. Data cable works fine... anyway... will have a play. That really makes the eeepc's extremely portable with Ripple. I'm wanting to integrate wep cracking software into Ripple's next release as well, to... um... test your own home secruity. I suppose this is the first real release we're working towards. Can you be in charge of the Gprs integration? I know nothing about it, and it would be great if someone else culd take this onboard. What this means is probably just creating some user docs for it, and helping integrate it into the user interface. Sounds like it could be good to have that icon you made on the dock bar.

I'd like to start pushing Ripple out more on other forums as well (there was a live cd starting up on the compiz-fusion thread.. we've just done it), but currently it comes down to time. I want to be developing this stuff, not talking about it to others. We aso need more testers for the latest beta version, to see if the cfwizard is working at al. Anyway, cheers for that.
~dinky

aarf

#91 Post by aarf »

@dinky
for GPRS to work it firstly needs a phone that is internet enabled. preferably with a gprs/3G package to reduce costs. then see my first attempt at documentation for GPRS pasted with images previously on page 6 in this ripple thread.
You will need to follow the instructions above before the launcher described below will function.
click on a vacant space the cairo-dock then select> "add manual laucher".> ***you need to type the image address because the "open" button will crash the window***.
here is a sample for the config of the launcher (attached). mine is now in utilities, before that i had it in stats next to wifi.
hidden text

Code: Select all

rxvt -title "pgprs-connect PRESS CTRL+C TO DISCONNECT" -e pgprs-connect
Attachments
launcherPGPRS Connect.png
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 411 times

dinky

#92 Post by dinky »

Hi Lane, try the 96.43 driver from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34001

It's in Ripple 06-3, but unless your card is recognised as needing it, it won't be the default for manual set-up. try installing this with Ripple, and see how you go. If this won't work, then try all the others. good luck, and let me know what works!
~dinky

aarf

#93 Post by aarf »

how do I recover from selecting "advanced" as opposed to "default" in simple CCSM, junk my pup_save and use my backup pup_save?

rhadon

#94 Post by rhadon »

Hi aarf,
in dockbar select Compiz icon -> Configure Compiz, then Preferences. There you can change Advanced to Default (in Simple CCSM it also didn't work for me). Go back, Ctrl+Alt +Backspace, run xwin and everyrthing should be fine. This worked for me.

Good luck
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

aarf

#95 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote:Hi aarf,
in dockbar select Compiz icon -> Configure Compiz, then Preferences. There you can change Advanced to Default (in Simple CCSM it also didn't work for me). Go back, Ctrl+Alt +Backspace, run xwin and everyrthing should be fine. This worked for me.

Good luck
Rolf
thanks rhadon. This work around probably offer to in into the wiki and bugs.