Project Ripple [in development]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Caneri

#61 Post by Caneri »

Ok...Ripple is ready here...sorry to take so long as my uploads are pitiful at home...grrr

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/Ripple/ripple_beta05.iso
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/Ripple/rip ... so.md5.txt

This only the beta.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

LaneLester

#62 Post by LaneLester »

Caneri wrote:Ok...Ripple is ready here...sorry to take so long as my uploads are pitiful at home...grrr

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/Ripple/ripple_beta05.iso
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/Ripple/rip ... so.md5.txt

This only the beta.

Best,
Eric
I understand that this is an earlier product than the ripple_05.iso that dinky is dangling in front of us, but not letting us get. :)

Lane

dinky

#63 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, here's the md5sum for ripple_05.iso (most recent beta version).
ab48adf79589716b6713f0f580c15138

Here's the one for ripple_beta05.iso: 465c046039cd083de09d959f375ee176

This iso is mirrored in the post above. They are almost the same, though the beta 05 lacks support for internal installations on the eeepc... it works, butnot in pupmode 13. The ripple_05 (in theory) fixes this issue.

Please keep in mind they are both beta versions, and are ONLY configured at this point to run automaticaly on Intel graphics cards. Other cards will be supported in the future, but aren't there yet. At tombh's instructions I'm simply using the cfwizard with a few simple hacks in Ripple. This automatically works for Intel cards. Tombh has outlined steps for getting the full gamit working, but I'm waiting to hear back from him again to go any further. For now, please have fun with these. For those not running intel cards, you'll need to follow tombhs instructions in the compiz-fusion thread to get it working. If you want a non-wobbly GUI, comment out line 5 ("e3 /root/.xinitrc" from command line) in .xinitrc. There are instructions in that file. Then run "xwin jwm" from the command line.

Ive made an extractable tar.gz file for Open Office 3 to be extracted in the root directory; it's just too big to use for a pet (needing a big pup_save file, etc). I might write a script to make this extraction idiot proof later on. I'll post it later today, so keep an eye on the packages section. It's a specific add-on as a program folder outside the pup_save, and faster than an sfs to load. Very awesome to use. The pets and add-ons I'm making for Ripple automatically add icons to Cairo Dock.

Ok folks, thanks so much for your enthusiasm! I better get off to work, teaching a theatre class this morning. Will check back tonight.

dinky

#64 Post by dinky »

Fixed the isos on my server... ready for download now. Forgot to set proper chmod setting. Have fun.

http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ripple/iso

Cheers!
~dinky

puppyluvr

#65 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Dinky,

Wow, is this fast...I D/L beta5 and am running live CD at the moment, but will Frugal in a minute ...
Solved lack of menu for now with a link to /usr/share/applications...
Whats with the Picture taped to the desktop..Its not part of the BG or the Pinboard??
I think this is the fastest Compiz Ive ever seen.....
Oh yea, xorgwizard autoconfigured my ATI mobility 7500 just fine...

A little sanding and you can polish this into a jewel...

@Edit...OK, how do I make the snapshot go away???
P.S. In that version of "Mirage" I painted his eyes blue...shh dont tell...
@ Edit again..LOL
OK I get it...Widget...now to configure it.... :D
@Edit the third.... :oops:
Pmount works, but takes like 2 minutes to mount a NTFS partition..Hotpup didnt see NTFS at all..

LaneLester

#66 Post by LaneLester »

I booted Puppy 4.1.1 on my main machine and used its UI to create the flash drive. The nice thing is that I could send it to the directory where the Ripple files were and make the boot drive directly.

The boot hung at this point:
Performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem...

I recall seeing another install hang at that point, but I don't remember the circumstances.

Lane

dinky

#67 Post by dinky »

Lol! You folks are too quick for me, I haven't even gotten a chance to write some devel files yet! Here's my idea. I'd indeed like to polish it, but I'm going to need some help. I'm planning on editing the startup page (click here for startup info) on bootup, and want to make it specific to Ripple, with a big user guide. It will be launchable again through firefox's speed-dial, which will display a selection of puppy-sites, etc. I need it to be very user friendly, which means.... lets find these bugs!!! We should set up a seperate place to document bugs, and another for main releases. I'd like to turn this latest version into the first release, then build in support for wider graphics cards with later versions.

So... first thing is to start exploring the system, and document everything you find. What's easy, what's not, what works, what doesn't work. After that we can start compiling really useful user docs, so it's a breeze for someone to use the system.

I've only got a couple minutes now, but here are some quick shortcuts:
- F9 brings up the compiz widget layer. Right clicking on any widget brings up the menu layer, left clicking will launch various actions associated with the widgets.
-MENU DOES EXIST!!! Hit F9, then left click the Penguin... there you go. I haven't configured it with icons, it's too much of a hassle. Perhaps later, but I think it's fine for now.
-Alt+left click moves the widgets, other wise they're locked.
-you can get rid of any widget by right clicking on it, and seeing it's menu. Any widget can be removed, taken off widget layer (on the desktop then, like the picture frame), or sent to the dock.
-cpu and ram widgets dock to the Stats icon on the system tray. Likewise, the wifi icon can be detached, and go to the widget layer.
-mouse to top right corner scales screen windows
-mouse to top left corner zooms out to expo. Ripple uses desktop wall rather than cube for ease of functionality.
-all compis bindings can be changed in ccsm, opened through compiz icon on dock.

That's it for now, gotta run. Will post Openoffice3.tgz file up later, it's configured for Ripple. Cheers!
~dinky

dinky

#68 Post by dinky »

Hi people, official release thread for Ripple now here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 779#248779

Lets keep this page for development. Anyone feel like creating a wiki page? Cheer!

~dinky

jtouso

#69 Post by jtouso »

tombh wrote:Sorry I've not been in touch so much, I've been using Debian!

I'm thinking of becoming less involved with Puppy :( What I'd like to offer here in this project though is the updated cfwizard script. I'll also be following the thread and give any advice where I can.

Basically I well impressed with where you're going with this dinky, sterling work :) It's all about the marriage of CF and CD really isn't it.
Why Debian?
LinuxMint or DreamLinux?
Pity :cry:

aarf

#70 Post by aarf »

Edit: now ripple6
Last edited by aarf on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

Caneri

#71 Post by Caneri »

Try this server....it should be faster and resides in Florida USA

http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux/tpp/ripple/

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

dinky

#72 Post by dinky »

Try this next iso folks. I've remastered again, and fixed some silly issues. Petget package manager works, along with a smaller iso (138mb) size.
There was a major issue with my last initfix... something went bodgy when I pasted in my patched init... this time I've rebuilt from unleashed, and it seems to be working fine. The next iso I post will hopefully be a test version that supports more graphics cards. Currently, only intel and ati-radeon drivers are supported. The current iso is ripple_06-2.iso, the previous releases have been taken off of my server to avoid confusion. The md5sum is on the server, and also here:
ripple_06-2-md5sum: cfe46ae5e84b0eb1726af874720da70a
The iso should be up and running within the hour. Good luck!
~dinky

Caneri

#73 Post by Caneri »

Ok ready in Florida

http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux/tpp/ripple/

I'll delete the old iso

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

aarf

#74 Post by aarf »

Edit: super ceded by ripple6

dinky

#75 Post by dinky »

Hi folks! Test iso ripple_06-3.iso uploading now. This is my first attempt at integrating proprietry Nvidia & ATI drivers into Ripple. Testers please! This should now run as an updated version of the compiz-scripts of wNOP, TigerPup, and eeetiger... then again, it is my first attempt. Testers please!

*Remember, Ripple won't work unless you choose the x24 resolution in the xorgwizard, REGARDLESS of what support your graphics card has. i.e., this would be 1024x768x24 NOT 1024x768x16.

http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... /test_iso/
I'll mirror it tomorrow on puppylinux.ca

Have fun!
~dinky

Caneri

#76 Post by Caneri »

Hi Dinky,

Here a link on my mirror in Florida.

http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux ... /test_iso/

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

aarf

#77 Post by aarf »

ripple_06.2
GPRS connect works but you must have a pup_save file active to see the "PGPRS Connect" and "PGPRS Setup" links in the network menu. If you dont have a pup_save file then you need to do as per the attached images.

from menu>Setup>wizard wizard>connet to internet>intenet by wireless GPRS modem> (now look at attached images gprs.internet.png) > then in a terminal/consol (now look at attached images pgprs-connect.png)
Attachments
pgprs-connect.png
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 1530 times
gprs.internet.png
(64.41 KiB) Downloaded 1533 times

aarf

#78 Post by aarf »

Ripple6.3 Emerald still needs to use the ctl+alt+backspace to do a selection.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 22 Nov 2008, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

LaneLester

#79 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:Hi folks! Test iso ripple_06-3.iso uploading now. This is my first attempt at integrating proprietry Nvidia & ATI drivers into Ripple. Testers please!

*Remember, Ripple won't work unless you choose the x24 resolution in the xorgwizard, REGARDLESS of what support your graphics card has. i.e., this would be 1024x768x24 NOT 1024x768x16.
No joy, dinky! The same as with 06-2, it recognized my nVidia card and offered to install the driver. But I still didn't have window manipulation stuff.

And this time I "remembered" to select 24-bit graphics. The quotation marks are because I failed to see that tip before.

Lane

dinky

#80 Post by dinky »

Hi Lane, I know you've done it before, but can you post your graphics card again? I'll do some research over the next wee and see what I come up with.

@aarf
Thanks for all that info! I'll reply soon.

~dinky