Want to reinstall Puppy! But WindowsXP is a HOG!

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage2

Want to reinstall Puppy! But WindowsXP is a HOG!

#1 Post by flamesage2 »

I want to install Puppy linux again, but on a seperate partition (preferablly P:, for puppy)

How would I go about resizing the NFTS (WindowsXP) partition, shaving off about.. 10GB? and making the 10GB into P: partition?

Anyone have any Windows / Linux tools to do this?

1ColdBeer

#2 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,

I just did what you have in mind last night. The free tool used was QTparted and it is on the Mepis Linux live cd.

I resized the ntfs, made a swap and 2 linux partitions, installed Puppy to hd with grub and rebooted. Grub poped up showing xp, puppy and the mountpoint for the empty linux partion.

Windows booted with no problem and so did Puppy.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: To get the swap to work with hd install i had to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add swapon /dev/hda3 (change hda3 to what your swap is) and reboot......

#3 Post by Guest »

Before you resize the XP partition, backup any files that you can't live without! :D

flamesage2

#4 Post by flamesage2 »

What is a swap partition really good for?
I never really felt it was useful.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

If you have low ram the swap file becomes cheap virtual ram - most of us have sufficient ram these days . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

edoc

#6 Post by edoc »

1ColdBeer wrote:I just did what you have in mind last night. The free tool used was QTparted and it is on the Mepis Linux live cd.
I resized the ntfs, made a swap and 2 linux partitions, installed Puppy to hd with grub and rebooted. Grub poped up showing xp, puppy and the mountpoint for the empty linux partion.
Windows booted with no problem and so did Puppy.
EDIT: To get the swap to work with hd install i had to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add swapon /dev/hda3 (change hda3 to what your swap is) and reboot......
QUESTIONS:

1. Is QTparted (img or iso and just the app) available as a DotPup?

2. People with trouble loading Puppy should be able to download QTparted from the Puppy site and not have to chase around to some other distro site.

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

#7 Post by Guest »

ok, I used QPartition and made a new partition with about.. 15GB in it.

When I went to install puppy, it said it was mouted / being used.
I unmounted it, tried again, came up with the same message.

(ALSO: Another annoying thing, puppy likes to save it's files in my Recovery Partition, thus screwing the recovery partition up sometimes)

Anyway, when I went back to WindowsXP, and looked in my Computer, This new partition drive wasn't there, only C: and D: (Recovery) but in QParted it said it had completed it sucessfully, and it even showed up on Puppylinux!

#8 Post by Guest »

Alright! Puppy is alive and well.
The only problem is.. when I tried to use Puppy-Installer for XP, and didn't like it, uninstalled it, and now whenever I try to boot WIndowsXP it tells me this hal.dll (is that it?) isn't found, and needs to be replaced.
Where can I get this? And where does it go?

1ColdBeer

#9 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,
Anonymous wrote:ok,
Another annoying thing, puppy likes to save it's files in my Recovery Partition, thus screwing the recovery partition up sometimes)
Adding the linux partitions on my laptop stopped Puppy from using the fat recovey partion.

Anonymous wrote: Anyway, when I went back to WindowsXP, and looked in my Computer, This new partition drive wasn't there, only C: and D: (Recovery) but in QParted it said it had completed it sucessfully, and it even showed up on Puppylinux!
In XP: start > Mouseover "My Computer" > right click > manage > storage > Disk Management (local)

Good luck

flamesage

#10 Post by flamesage »

Great!
Now if only I could get into my Windows XP.
=P (Please read above post)

1ColdBeer

#11 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,
Missed this post..... :-)
Anonymous wrote: now whenever I try to boot WIndowsXP it tells me this hal.dll (is that it?) isn't found
Try booting the xp disk and go to repair (r) . At the prompt run System File Checker with this command: sfc /scannow

Good luck

flamesage

#12 Post by flamesage »

Would this hurt puppy?
I just pimped out my puppy =P
(Note: I am not black)

#13 Post by Guest »

flamesage wrote:Would this hurt puppy?
No

#14 Post by Guest »

flamesage, it looks like you have your problem solved. I'm replying to the subject line
  • Want to reinstall Puppy! But WindowsXP is a HOG!
I agree, but I wonder why installed XP. A while ago you went to lengths to (re) install XP.

Recently, I had to install Windows in order to work on a project with someone. I have these versions of Windows:

95 OSR2
98 SE
Windows 2000

Probably the best option would have been to install 98SE, but because of my bias for lightweight operating systems, I choose 95 OSR2

It is also small enough that I actually run it in a RAM drive. This also makes it a very durable operating system because it disappears from existence every time I reboot. It wouldn't even matter if it got screwed up because it restores itself on the next boot.

The point I wish to make, but not meaning to be critical is: there are alternatives, even within the framework of the Windows OS for people like us, who are willing to get in and do our own setups.

kethd

un-housetrained pup

#15 Post by kethd »

Anonymous wrote: (ALSO: Another annoying thing, puppy likes to save it's files in my Recovery Partition, thus screwing the recovery partition up sometimes)
    I've long been upset that Puppy makes files on a hard drive without getting explicit permission -- All LiveCDs in general distribution should be Hard Drive Safe as a basic principle!
    But the fact that it is messing with your Recovery Partition makes the problem much more serious. (Though it is just the kind of danger a paranoid worrier would expect from a un-housetrained pup.)

Ian
    Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Ian »

When you boot from the live CD if you take option 3 and just press enter Puppy will not create a pup001 file.

If you read the instructions you will see that Puppy gives you the choice to select a partition and also name the pup file or just let Puppy load into RAM and run, if you have sufficient RAM, you can then remove the CD thus freeing up the CD drive for other use.