Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 03:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 3.01g Gold ISO 353M, Mariner SFS 150M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 8 [109 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Barburo

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 15:16    Post subject:  

@jmcgovern
Firstly welcome to the Puppy community.
Secondly in LHPup you've chosen a great puppy derivative to try. The pup_301.sfs file is essential for puppy to start.
If puppy cannot find it I would suspect that either your download somehow was corrupted or the burn process did not complete successfully.

I'm not sure what OS you are working from.
In linux you can check that the .iso file is correct using md5sum.
If you are working from Windows there are other solutions (?Download managers that verify the download - it's been so long I can't remember).
Try burning the .iso file again at a slower speed.

Also use the beginners section of the forum which answers many questions. Tazoc has his own site for LHPup: http://www.lhpup.org/
Hope this helps.
B.
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 17:42    Post subject: Re: "pup_301.sfs file is missing"  

jmcgovern wrote:
Ok, someone maybe tell me what im doing wrong here. I've downloaded, verified, and burnt the iso marked " LighthousePup-3.01g.iso 353M Bootable CD Image (3.01g Final based on Puppy 3.01)" which i would assume is the correct iso. every time i boot it tells me the pup_301.sfs file is missing, and drops me to a shell. Not sure what's going on...will give more information as needed.
Hi jmcgovern, First thing I'd try is booting into official PuppyLinux 3.01, put in the Lighthouse CD-Rom, mount it with Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter and click on the folder icon to browse the CD. One of the files there should be 'verify-md5-lhp'. Click on that to verify the files on the CD.

If that works ok, I would see if there are are any of those files from another Puppy at /mnt/home, or if it is a Windows partition maybe there is a file system-related error that might be mixing up the boot process. If so, boot into Windows and run chkdsk on the partition.
-TazOC

jmcgovern

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 20:11    Post subject:  

Thanks for the quick replies. I've downloaded the image a total of three times, and the md5sum has checked out all three times. I haven't tried to boot basic 3.01 yet, but 4.1.2 boots perfectly. I've tried burning it both in Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 (Dual boot PC) using Brasero, GnomeBaker, and InfraRecorder (windows). I have a feeling that im somehow getting the wrong download or the download is mislabeled or something. the iso i end up with after download is labeled LighthousePup-3.01g.iso. This is the correct image right? nothing should be missing?
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 20:38    Post subject:  

jmcgovern,
Yes LighthousePup-3.01g.iso is the latest. In Puppy 4.1.2 you can run the script 'verify-md5-lhp' which is located on your Lighthouse CD. That will verify the contents of the CD.

The main file that is loaded during Lighthouse boot up is 'pup_301g_lighthouse.sfs', but if there is another file named 'pup_301<anything>.sfs' on a local disk it might be trying to load that instead.
-TazOC

canezilla

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 21:50    Post subject: amarok help  

Hi. Lighthouse Puppy is great. My intel wifi worked out of the box. So let me say thanks!! BUT

I messed up amarok and need to know if there are any words of wisdom to get it working again.

I am running in super fast FRUGAL mode. Amarok DID work. I think I broke my system, did a 'clean' during boot-up and think it somehow broke something amarok needs. I tried to gslap my amarok but that didnt work. Next, I used BOOTMANAGER CONFIG and loaded without the LPH-301-2 ... no luck. Then I downloaded the older LPH-301-1.sfs and loaded it instead. No amarok (but I think it isnt in there anyway)... then loaded LPH-301-2.sfs again. But no amarok yet.

Should I scrap my pupsafe and start over again? Or is there something I can try? Thanks

Brian
tazoc

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 22:37    Post subject: Troubleshooting LighthousePup and Amarok  

Brian,
Boot up from the CD with 'puppy pfix=ram'. This is so you can check for errors with the drives unmounted. If your pup_save.2fs is on a Linux ext2 or ext3 partition check it in a terminal by typing 'e2fsck -vy /dev/hda2', substituting /dev/hda2 with your actual. (-vy means verbose and fix errors, if any. If it's on an NTFS partition, boot Windows and run chkdsk on it.) While still booted from pfix=ram, mount that partition with Pmount Puppy drive mounter and open a terminal in that folder e.g., 'cd /mnt/hda2' and check the pup_save for errors with 'e2fsck -vy pup_save.2fs', again substituting your actual pup_save name. Finally check the integrity of your frugal install by typing verify-md5-lhp. If that script is missing copy it over from the LHP CD.

Then reboot normally with your pup_save. If amarok still won't run, open a terminal and type amarok. If any dependencies are missing it should tell you.

[Edit]If amarok is not found try renaming your Mariner SFS so that it ends with '_301.sfs' or see that it shows up in KMenu | System | BootManager.

Hope that helps,
TacOC

canezilla

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan 2009, 15:57    Post subject:  

Thanks for the help. Here is what I get when I type amarok into the konsole:

amarok: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by amarok)

Does that make sense? Is that fixable?
tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan 2009, 19:29    Post subject:  

Hi Brian,
Confused Maybe these files are missing? Or incorrect version?
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
(The first is a symlink to the second.)
But I don't know. Anyone else understand this?

Assuming you have done the file system verification in my last post, I guess to get amarok going I would back up any personal files, type 'sync' in a console, rename your pup_save.2fs to pup_save.2fs.bkp or similar and reboot to start anew. I haven't been able to reproduce the error on my machine.
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb 2009, 00:22    Post subject: How Remove Superkaramba?  

Hi Taz,
I'm building a second LHpup-gold system and you'd think I would be able to remember how I turned off superkaramba but I can't!
Where does it get started? I looked in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and /root/.xinitrc but couldn't find it.
B.
tazoc

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb 2009, 17:03    Post subject: How to disable Liquid Weather/Superkaramba autostart  

Hi Barburo,
Good question! Move lwp-15.0.skz from /Autostart to /Autostart/DisabledItems. That will disable KDE autorun of Liquid Weather and Superkaramba. (In Lighthouse Mariner /Autostart is a symlink to /root/.kde/Autostart. For JWM & Icewm autoruns see /root/autostart or /root/.icewm/startup)
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb 2009, 16:28    Post subject: Deleting Whiteout files in LH Pup  

Thanks Taz,
Another question:
LHpup identifies then deletes whiteout files on exit.
Over time, the number of whiteout files .wh.* that LHPup detects but does not delete has grown. I now have over 500 files that do not get automatically deleted on exit. This increases shutdown or reboot times quite a lot.
Is there a reason that LHpup finds them but doesn't delete them?
Can I go ahead and delete them manually?
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 01:51    Post subject: Whiteout scan  

Hi Barburo,
Just tap 'Ctrl+C' to during the whiteout scan to speed shutdown. If you want to experiment, here's how to delete all whiteouts:
From forum member wow: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22236&start=120
Quote:
Troubleshooting
whiteout(.wh.*) files: This kind of file will give you problems if you're going to use SFS's. Run this command to get rid of them:
Code:
find /initrd/pup_r* -name .wh.* -delete -print
Good idea to reboot afterward.

The reason why my LHP 3.x shutdown excludes certain whiteouts is partly to speed up the process and also because certain folders e.g., /Autostart, /applications, need whiteouts to enable moving or deleting files that are present in the main file system pup_301g_lighthouse.sfs. Thus, removing all whiteouts may cause files you previously deleted to re-appear! Could be a good thing, though if the file was necessary.

A new Lighthouse 4.1.2 beta should be available soon. Barry's improved code in Puppy 4.x now scans for whiteouts during startup, and only if there is a change in the SFS layers. So the whiteout scan portion of my 'pup_dip' script at shutdown is no longer needed. Startup and shutdown are both faster. I'll reply here as soon as this new version is posted. A couple of screenshots: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36825&start=15
-TazOC

Bligh

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 04:22    Post subject:  

Lighthouse 4.1.2 that's interesting. I have been using 4.1.x a lot.
Cheers
Barburo

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 03:38    Post subject:  

Hi Taz,
I look forward to your next version of Lighthouse. I liked the screenshots.
I've experimented with 4.1.* versions - I have a dual core machine and the new kernel takes advantage of that. The only drawback for me is that I find it almost impossible to get my wireless bcm44x card to work in Puppy 4 and its variants. Dougal is doing great work on the new connect wizard, but I'll probably have to craft a new version of my custom connect script (the old one doesn't work in puppy 4).
B.
tazoc

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 23:38    Post subject:  

@Bligh,
Hello Bligh, good to hear from you!

@Barburo,
Interesting, I don't have any newer boxes, only single core ones. No laptops either. I've spent a good deal of time getting all my Lighthouse scripts and apps to work with Puppy 4.1.2. The only niggle I haven't worked out is shut down from a LiveCD/pfix=ram is flaky--drops to command line. But I found that by choosing to reboot instead of shutdown, creating a pup_save, then shutdown works fine! Strange isn't it? I noted some similar posts on the forum, but nobody seems to have a solution. Oh well, nothing is perfect I guess.

Take care,
TazOC

Page 7 of 8 [109 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: