Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 20 Apr 2018, 18:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 3.01g Gold ISO 353M, Mariner SFS 150M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 8 [109 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Bligh

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 08:38    Post subject:  

For me, the beauty of Puppy is not having to install it to have a fully functional linux os. AFAIK Puppy is the only one developing the potential of the live cd. I am still at the (I wonder what this does?)stage with Lighthouse and Puppy. I use hdd racks and laptops with easily swapable hdd's. I don't have any me or vista hdd"s. I run Puppy with the Linspire 5x hdd's installed hence no swap partition.although one could easily be created. I also have one laptop with xp installed, it has pup save files for Lighthouse 215, Pup 3, 4 and 4.1. It has only 256 mb so I will probably run lh2, lhc, or pup 4.1x on it.
I only have experience with win and kde desktops so LH is great for learning other desktops. Puppy is Great and Lighthouse is Outstanding
Nearly all of my hdd's have an os partition and a data partition, usually fat32. On one drive I saved the pup files to the data partition, pup does not seem to be able to access the os partition, which may be more secure.
Cheers
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov 2008, 13:03    Post subject:  

This is a very pretty desktop and even better, kde runs with good responsiveness. However, that is only on first boot, because when I reboot I get the message "Could not start kdeinit - Check your installation." This happens with both xorg and xvesa. When shutting down the first time, I create a 1GB pup-save. I have 256MB ram and a 512MB swap file. When it fails to start kdeinit I can then choose to switch to jwm and it starts and runs fine.
Barburo

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 00:31    Post subject:  Feedback  

Hi TazOC,
Here are a couple of screen shots of my set-up - iceWM and KDE.
Everything I use seems to be working (including scanning)
Thanks for all your work on this,
B.

tazoc

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 02:37    Post subject: Re: KDE won't start, JWM works
Subject description: 'Could not start kdeinit', feedback; screenshots

playdayz wrote:
This is a very pretty desktop and even better, kde runs with good responsiveness. However, that is only on first boot, because when I reboot I get the message "Could not start kdeinit - Check your installation." ...
Thank you, hmm not sure what to suggest... glad you can still use JWM and 'xwin starticewm' should work also. Let me think on that; should be able to fix it by deleting some cached KDE files I think. You might just reboot with
Code:
puppy pfix=ram,copy
rename your pup_save.2fs to 'pup_save.2fs.save', then shutdown creating a new one, say 256M or 512M to see if that helps. You can always re-size it later with the 'Resize personal storage file' in System or Utility menu.

@Bligh & Barburo,
Thank you for your encouraging comments and insight. Nice screenshots Barburo! Is that Audacious? skinned or default? I want it! Glad your scanner is working... I wasn't able to get Xsane to detect my Agfa USB Snapscan--no biggie I don't use it much anyway.

tazoc

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov 2008, 01:18    Post subject: New Lighthouse Mariner SFS
Subject description: For Lighthouse 3.01c

Lighthouse Mariner SFS 132M for Lighthouse 3.01c
Includes Amarok, Gslapt, Opera, Xscreensavers & 75 games

Details 1st post of this thread and http://lhpup.org/download.htm#SFS

Bugs: Amarok sometimes pops up a little message "The script 'Default' exited with error code 127" at song change. [Edit 11/14] Fix: Use Gslapt to install ruby-1.8.7_p72-i486-1. Next update of Mariner will include ruby. Instead of closing it I just minimize it and then it doesn't come back. If anyone knows how to fix it, let me know. Still Amarok is a great app with an amazing feature set and attention to detail--the audio is rock solid.

Its been quite an experience putting this together. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
-TazOC

Last edited by tazoc on Fri 14 Nov 2008, 13:27; edited 1 time in total
Barburo

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov 2008, 02:55    Post subject:  

Yes it's audacious with a winamp skin "Nucleo_NLog_v102_.wsz" my son found somewhere. I tried uploading it but the forum won't allow .wsz extension so I renamed it to .zip.
To make scanning work I found I needed to download front-ends and back-ends for Sane.
I used these pets:
sane_backends 1.0.17
sane_frontends 1.0.14
Nucleo_NLog_v102_.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  Nucleo_NLog_v102_.zip 
Filesize  131 KB 
Downloaded  369 Time(s) 

Barburo

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov 2008, 04:04    Post subject:  

Hi TazOC,
I just downloaded the new SFS pack and I admire your installation tools. I'm looking through all of the menus and both KDE and IceWM have things in the right place. Thanks for Amarok - I also get the pop-up error you mentioned. More later if I find anything.

I have a bug with Glipper in IceWM (from before the new Mariner SFS): The system tray looses the "Glipper" icon each reboot.
I have to go into the GUI (desktop .. Glipper), click "disable glipper"
exit and repeat, but click "enable glipper" ... and the icon is in the system tray.
Next reboot it has disappeared.
B.
tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2008, 02:24    Post subject: Glipper fix  

Hi Barburo,
Thank you for the cool Winamp skin and sane info. I will try them. Glad Mariner is working for you so far.

A Glipper bug! Good work. Seems okay in JWM so here's what I did.

Open /root/.icewm/startup in a text editor.

Copy and paste the following two lines into the bottom (end) of the startup script:
Code:
pidof glipper && killall glipper
[ -e ~/.glipper_on ] && glipper &
Save the file, log off and restart X. I'll try to get it into the next update or service pack for LHP3.01c.
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2008, 18:23    Post subject:  

I tried your fix for Glipper - doesn't make any difference on my machine (Notebook) - still the same problem.

I have an outstanding problem with volume control in iceWM that has persisted through all versions of LHPup3.01.
In KDE the volume application that sits in the system tray area controls many different things and it works just fine.
In iceWM's Zmixer there are sliders for Master, PCM, CD, line and mic. For me all of these sliders are frozen at minimum except PCM which does allow me to vary the volume. However if I've set the "Front" slider in KDE to say about 50% then that is the maximum that I can increase PCM to in iceWM. If I go into KDE, set the slider to 100% then return to IceWM I have full volume control through the PCM slider.
So there's two things going on here. KDE seems to control the maximum volume for IceWM and I don't know why the other sliders in Zmixer are locked out.
B.
image1.png
 Description   Screenshot of volume control in iceWM
 Filesize   12.8 KB
 Viewed   1335 Time(s)

image1.png

tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2008, 19:47    Post subject: Re: Glipper, zmixer bugs  

Barburo,
Can you check gPS to see if Glipper is running when it should be? Also, open Rox and see if '.glipper_on' exists in /root. If that file is there, then Glipper should be running in IceWM. And paste the bottom half of your IceWM startup file up here so I can read it, please. We need to look at the lines that have icewmtray and glipper.

Try 'kmix' from Multimedia menu or console, instead of zmixer. If it works better we can figure out how to start it in the tray in IceWM.
-TazOC

tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2008, 00:12    Post subject: Glipper, Kmix  

Barburo,
After some more testing it looks like we need a three second delay or so like this:
(bottom of /root/.icewm/startup)
Code:
pidof glipper && killall glipper
pidof kmix && killall kmix
[ -e ~/.glipper_on ] && sleep 3 && glipper & #Barburo noticed Glipper wasn't in the tray
sleep 3 && kmix & #alternative to zmixer
You can play around with the sleep delays, maybe 2, 4 or 6 works for you...
Note I added kmix as well--it also needs a delay to dock into the tray. If the mixer itself starts, in Kmix click Settings | Configure Kmix | check 'Dock into panel' | OK | and close Mixer.
-TazOC

Barburo

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2008, 03:57    Post subject:  

Thanks TazOC,
Looks like that does it! I'll start using kmix now.
Barburo.
nobles

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 20:18    Post subject: Lighthouse Screensaver Configuration  

This seems like a very stable and functional operating system. Can anyone tell me where the settings are for the screensaver that is included in this Lighthouse version? I cannot find it in any of the menus or KDE control panel menus.
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 22:11    Post subject: Lighthouse screen saver settings  

Hi nobles,
For the Lighthouse 3.01 base ISO, there are 7 screen savers (plus random and blank) in KDE: Kmenu | Settings | Control Center | Appearance & Themes | Screen Saver

If you have the Mariner3.01 SFS add-on package, the above method also works, but you'll have more screen savers if you un-check 'Start automatically' above, then:
Kmenu | Settings | Screensaver, which launches the XScreensaver Preferences panel, with >200 screensavers. For Mariner SFS, XScreensavers should also work in IceWM and JWM.

More about Mariner at http://lhpup.org/download.htm#SFS
Hope that helps,
TazOC

nobles

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov 2008, 22:39    Post subject: Lighthouse Screen Saver Settings  

I have no screen saver menu option under the Appearance & Themes - if you go to Theme Manager there is a screen saver button but it does not do anything.
Page 3 of 8 [109 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: