Puppy 4.2 - Desktop and Artwork

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#31 Post by Béèm »

zigbert wrote:image deleted
Please be kind to those who don't have a large display.
On my monitor the picture is too wide.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

dogone

Stardust shines

#32 Post by dogone »

I must say it again, Zigbert. Stardust is looking very, very good. That is one classy desktop that will stand well up against any other Linux release. Keep up the great work!

WhoDo

#33 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Image
Very cool, Sigmund. 8) You certainly could use red in the conky display including the calendar title. My problem with the red was in the menu highlight bar and icons, not on the desktop.

All in all this is becoming a VERY attractive, clean and strong Puppy look! Well done!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

nic2109

#34 Post by nic2109 »

Guys; this is becoming seriously good!

The brushed metal dark-grey backgrounds look really classy and contrast well with the wallpaper. Have you noticed that Lightroom and the latest Photoshop versions from Adobe look like this as does Aperture from Apple so we'd be in high-end company if we adopt this look. So please go for it.

I too prefer burnt orange to red for the text, as red is just too bold and alarming. It works for the calendar though, giving today just enough emphasis.

We'll need to be careful with the wallpaper as it needs to look right when "stretched" to fit from 800x600 to 1600 x 1200 and beyond as well as resolutions like 1440 x 900 which have a different aspect ratio. That'll be tricky but I hope not insurmountable. Perhaps a sample of each aspect ratio built in for selection.

I'm already looking forward to this and will happily join in with "testing" when it's ready. Funny, but I recently decided to stop all this trying out new versions and just stick with 4.1. Well; that's already out of the window. This will be too good to ignore.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

cb88

#35 Post by cb88 »

drop the analog clock.... I can read it but digital is faster

don't care about the launch bar...

calendar is nice...

conky could replace freememapplet since i can display ram usage with gradiets i might add as well :-)

+1 on the background

on the red... black is probably better for the text the conky theme could probably use some more spice however...

a conky config wizard would be really nice (although editing it manually is far more powerful)
this should be included too... IMO the best puppy wallpaper to date it is fun (NOTE THE WORD FUN... not just blingy which the rastapax tends to ever so slightly) and nice to look at as well

http://webpages.uncc.edu/~carayfie/carayfie/sky1.jpg

a screenshot of my recent jaunt into slitaz land http://webpages.uncc.edu/~carayfie/slit ... ike-it.jpg

Also if any body cares the Wii-Black Gtktheme could use some TLC like some fonts are hard to read (in pidgin firefox etc... messes up openoffice?) http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=45829
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

zigbert

#36 Post by zigbert »

See main post for pic of complete desktop
Sigmund

DaveS

#37 Post by DaveS »

Looks REALLY cool. I went this way in 4.1, using the tray as a quick-launch bar, and with the desktop background from Xubuntu :-)

SirDuncan

#38 Post by SirDuncan »

alienjeff wrote:The bigger question is who is going to teach users born after 1985 how to read an analog clock?
You mean my school was the only one that kept their clocks from back in the 50s? If you wanted to know how much longer it was until lunch, you had to read an analog clock just like your father did. In fact, it may have been the same clock.

@Zigbert:
I agree with the others, toss the widget clock. I really like the line-art icons for the menu.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

dogone

#39 Post by dogone »

Zigbert, those menu icons are absolutely cutting edge. I love them 'em. They're clean, modern, understated and the orange just works. 4.2's wardrobe is looking very good!

HairyWill

#40 Post by HairyWill »

nice one sigmund,
I really like your work.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#41 Post by Lobster »

cutting edge
I think this is a great default scheme and hopefully we can swap
it for the 'tangerine dream' (or 'citrus cut' theme) that is currently in Puppy.
(there are 5 themes in 4.1.1)

I would suggest that the blue icons on the desktop do not meld well with the current theme
but the menu icons are both minimalist and obvious (very hard to achieve). Well done. Coming along very well.
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#42 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Image

See main post for pic of complete desktop
Sigmund
Ah, much better IMHO. Well done, Sigmund! 8)

I agree with Lobster about the blue desktop icons. There's a set of red icons in EZpup-4.0 that might look good on that desktop and I've got a set of very classy orange icons in my kit that might be worth a look too. I have included a small sample for your consideration.
Attachments
drive-optical.png
Optical drive icon
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 1662 times
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

drongo

Hey I like analogue clocks

#43 Post by drongo »

One vote here for keeping the clock. Both variants in fact. They are easier to read from a distance if you don't happen to be glued to your computer.

Love the theme. I don't really mind about the colours. (Mind you I liked Barry's bright yellow and peach efforts, so you can probably ignore my colour preferences.) Is everything high enough contrast for those with "senior" eyesight?

A MOHAMMAD ALI

SCSI harddisk

#44 Post by A MOHAMMAD ALI »

sir,

Puppy 4.1 is excellent for debugging and repair of high end workstations.
I have repaired one workstation using your Grub boot loader utility having IDE HDD.
Thanks for that.
At present puppy 4.1 is not detecting scsi hdd.

will puppy 4.2 detect scsi harddisk ?
Please include all drivers needed for for scsi harddisk detection.

A. Mohammad ali
ONGC
Chennai India

dogone

#45 Post by dogone »

WhoDo wrote:...I've got a set of very classy orange icons in my kit that might be worth a look too. I have included a small sample for your consideration.
That optical drive icon looks great. When/where can we can see the rest of them?

WhoDo

#46 Post by WhoDo »

dogone wrote:
WhoDo wrote:...I've got a set of very classy orange icons in my kit that might be worth a look too. I have included a small sample for your consideration.
That optical drive icon looks great. When/where can we can see the rest of them?
I'll make up a dotpet of the set compatible with the desktop icon changer. Can't promise when but it will be in time for 4.2a1, I hope.

zigbert

#47 Post by zigbert »

Yes, I have tried some orange icons, and it could be the match.
Please let us try more.

I have made a widget manager (see pic).
Very simple, - for the user, not for the geek. They will hack the config files anyway ...

Things are moving slowly, but I feel it's in the correct direction. The widgets is working fine at the moment, but
there are 2 issues I haven't solved, so please help.

1. When starting xonclock (the analog clock), I have to mouseclick on the desktop to see the clock.
(in other words: I have to click clock :D ) Have I missed something, or are there any way to refresh desktop with a command?

2. Look carefully at the picture. The 'Puppy Space' widget and the 'calender' is rendered by conky. With this wallpaper it is easy to see that the conky background doesn't match the wallpaper. It is somehow displaced. What am I doing wrong?

In the following code I upgrade the wallpaper and my widget 'Puppy Space':

Code: Select all

killall conky

TMP="`cat /root/.config/wallpaper/bg_img`"
cp "$TMP" /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg
xli -fillscreen -onroot /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg

conky -a top_right -x 40 -y 30 --config=$HOME/.pwidgets/conky_puppyspace_rc &
And the conky config file looks like this:

Code: Select all

background no
own_window yes
own_window_type override
#own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_colour hotpink
double_buffer yes
total_run_times 0
update_interval 3
minimum_size 140 5
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
stippled_borders 2
border_margin 4
border_width 1
default_color white
default_shade_color 333333
default_outline_color red
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
use_spacer none
#font fixed
use_xft yes
xftfont monofonto:size=16

TEXT
$alignc${color #9C8F5B}Puppy Space
${color #777777}${fs_size /} $alignr ${color #499D3A}${fs_free /}
${color #777777}${fs_bar 10 /}
Thanks for any help
Sigmund

Pizzasgood

#48 Post by Pizzasgood »

Getting the wallpapers to sync is a real pain sometimes. I've considered attempting to hack ROX to just make it transparent to the "real" root-window. I have no idea how feasible that would be.

I think the most surefire way to do it is to resize the image to match the screen res, and then use the resized image in both Rox and the root-window. This can be done by writing a custom wallpaper-setter, but it makes the built-in wallpaper setter in Rox not integrate properly. Rox could probably be hacked to disable that, or better, to add an option to the options panel to either use Rox's built-in program or to run a user-defined command.

You could use a wallpaper that has a solid color on that general area. Not ideal.

You could drop Rox as far as icons go and use something else that allows the root-window to show through, but that isn't a very happy solution.

Getting Xli to just resize it in the same exact way as Rox would work, but I've been unsuccessful with that. (Was messing with it during spring with Gentoo.)

EDIT: Pizzasgood <3 orange icons.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

Orange icons as requested. I have supplied only 48x48 size but have them as SVG and will upload those to a common FTP server if required. Scalable versions take the file size up to 17Mb!

**CAUTION**

This is NOT an icon theme for Dingo. I haven't yet developed that. It is merely an icon sampler for tronkel to try with his desktop design.

WhoDo

#50 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:2. Look carefully at the picture. The 'Puppy Space' widget and the 'calender' is rendered by conky. With this wallpaper it is easy to see that the conky background doesn't match the wallpaper. It is somehow displaced. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know what you are "doing wrong", but it looks to me like each widget is being treated as a window and the false transparency is resizing the nominated background image to fit that window rather than picking up the location coordinates and filling only with that section of the background image.

Have you thought about using Rainlendar Lite as the calendar? I suppose that would complicate the widget manager though. Just a thought.

Hope that helps.