Puppy 4.2 - Desktop and Artwork

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
nic2109

#106 Post by nic2109 »

Looks good to me on an eyeball-test - but if you could attach the actual image for downloading then we could tell you for sure.

I'd like to see something like 'Puppy 4.2' somewhere below the "face" (in a discrete intensity) so we show the world just what we are running. When you have something this good you really want to brag about it. This could be present in the iso file, but not in the image if made available separately. Just a thought.

Best wishes.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

smokey01

#107 Post by smokey01 »

Zigbert, How difficult would it be to make the connect process part of the initial startup configuration like keyboard and graphics?
It would probably be better to make it fully automatic but then that limits your choice if you have eth, modem or WLAN.

The desktop icon is not biggie as it's easy to delete. Simplicity is what Puppy needs. The less a new user has to do to get the OS working the more popular puppy will become.

DaveS

#108 Post by DaveS »

smokey01 wrote: The desktop icon is not biggie as it's easy to delete. Simplicity is what Puppy needs. The less a new user has to do to get the OS working the more popular puppy will become.
As a new user, it might be interesting for me to say that I prefer having a readily accessible route to setting stuff up, like the 'connect' icon, rather than having it all fully automated. It kinda seems easier to figure it out if it does not work straight off that way. The problem with automation is, it has to be bullet-proof.

disciple

#109 Post by disciple »

The problem with automation is, it has to be bullet-proof.
That's right - Puppy now has several automated things that need work because they aren't bullet-proof - e.g. the automatic hardware detection can be very bad if you have on-board sound but use a separate sound card - every time he boots he sets up the first sound card he finds, and you have to run the alsa-wizard to fix it. Until you know to blacklist the module.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pizzasgood

#110 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'd like to see something like 'Puppy 4.2' somewhere below the "face" (in a discrete intensity) so we show the world just what we are running. When you have something this good you really want to brag about it. This could be present in the iso file, but not in the image if made available separately. Just a thought.
I'm all for having the version number visible, but not on the wallpaper. Putting it on the wallpaper messes up people who want to use it for other versions, and requires modifying it for every new version. Using a graphics editor that has layers and posting the "raw" formatted file for that editor so that anybody can update it for their needs would help, but I still wouldn't call that ideal.

I think a better solution is to include it in the Conky display, along with kernel version. That way it can be totally automatic - Conky can just read it from /etc/puppyversion and automatically insert the decimal point.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#111 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:I tried it and it didn't work on 4.1, CHtheme just disappears, But thats ok, when I looked at the package it had lots of goodies, So if you want when I get home from work tonight in about 12hrs, I'll rip it apart and tryout somethings
Go for it, ttuuxxx. I haven't tried it on any 4.xx series yet. There were several Gtk-2.0 themes that worked fine in 3.01 but won't work in 4.x for some reason, and that could easily be one of them. If you find out why, let me know, because the others are pretty nice too and it would be good to include them in EZpup-4.1 which will be coming out soon.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

disciple

#112 Post by disciple »

Code: Select all

The desktop icon is not biggie as it's easy to delete. 
The only problem is that these days the icons come back when you add an .sfs or something.
"Too much automation"
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#113 Post by zigbert »

Thanks to pizzagood, Pwidgets now got a Puppylinux widget.

iscraigh

#114 Post by iscraigh »

I vote for having connection automatically, or at least the wizard start up on first boot.

Craig

ttuuxxx

#115 Post by ttuuxxx »

I made 5 Browser Search files, They work on seamonkey and firefox :)
Murga Forum
Puppylinux.ca
Sourceforge
Freshmeat.net
Gnome files
Below is a pet for seamonkey, you have to enable it in the prefrences :)
then to use it, just type a word in the url bar like VLC
then click search
:)
ttuuxxx
Just the bottom 5 :)
Attachments
search.png
(41.61 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
FirePup-0.04.3search.png
(13.62 KiB) Downloaded 1060 times
SeamonkeySearch.pet
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Wed 12 Nov 2008, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nic2109

#116 Post by nic2109 »

Pizzasgood wrote:I think a better solution is to include it in the Conky display, along with kernel version. That way it can be totally automatic - Conky can just read it from /etc/puppyversion and automatically insert the decimal point.
That's a much better idea so I'm glad zigbert has already adopted it!
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

zigbert

#117 Post by zigbert »

What about something like this ????

WhoDo

#118 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:What about something like this ????

That's a big YEP from me! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

DaveS

#119 Post by DaveS »

Gorgeous. Cool orange corners :-)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ttuuxxx

#120 Post by ttuuxxx »

I went to Luna Park yesterday which is across from the Sydney Opera House and snapped a few pictures of the Opera house. Here's one.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
OperaHouse.jpg
(151.29 KiB) Downloaded 405 times

zigbert

#121 Post by zigbert »

Can we start to work on / collect icons together?

I have started to work on a new orange/dark icon theme, but it needs a lot of improvements. Let's start with the 48x48 icons. I have mentioned in a previous post that I have made a program-to-desktop adder. This forced me to define a Puppy icon-set.

Using this adder could give a result as below. I am rather pleased by the left icons, while the right ones needs a lot more.

Following shows all programs in the Puppy menu with its icon.
Do you have any opinions, - great. But most great if you post us your better icons. Thanks.

Puppy also really need better 16x16 icons. If you have some good-looking, please share. Remember that JWM cuts the right/bottom pixel, so in fact we really need 16x16 icons which uses only 15x15 pixels.

Also we need some 24x24 icons for the new utility traybar. I think this bar will end up statically, so we do not need a complete theme, - only the one we want to add to the utility bar (see main post).

The menu also uses 24x24 icons, but this is a unique theme. See main post. This is almost finished.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Sigmund

ttuuxxx

#122 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi Zigbert

Nice Start, :)
Just wondering something, when I made my last icewm release, I removed 80+ 16x16 icons and replaced them with 80+ 24x24 icons the reason why is, the smaller 24x24 details are way to small, plus its strange to have a menu with 24x24 and a sub menu with 16x16.
Couldn't we just have 2 icon sizes? 24x24 & 48x48 Also another thing, rox is usually setup to find icons in
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons
with this it uses .desktop files, and when making a .desktop file you just have to type say home.png as the icon, butttttttttt if the icon is located in
/usr/share/pixmaps then you have to type into the .desktop file
/usr/share/pixmaps/home.png
now shouldn't the /usr/share/pixmaps directory also be made as a part of the .desktop search path for icons so you wouldn't have to specify the whole icon path instead of just the name?
ttuuxxx
Attachments
menus.png
(62.97 KiB) Downloaded 1974 times
24+24.png
24x24 menu icons
24x24 sub-menu icons
(62.75 KiB) Downloaded 1890 times
24+16.png
24x24 menu icons
16x16 sub-menu icons
(55.08 KiB) Downloaded 1918 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sun 16 Nov 2008, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

`f00

Copperdust?

#123 Post by `f00 »

p.8 (theme)
Very nice gtk. Maybe lighten the active tab-button's bg a bit (sometimes the active-accent colorstrip is a bit too subtle when working with many similar content tabs). Orange foreground (text, etc) for the active jwm and it's a nice pair.

p.9 (icons)
Opinion here, fwiw. Some tend to be conservative for icons as visual clues (setup as white wrench in red circle as an example) and care not so much how they look in detail as long as they follow more-or-less consistently. Everyone has their own take. As long as the user can get a clue the rest is fine tuning. Scaling can be tricky if it gets automated (like the drive icons).

WhoDo

#124 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Can we start to work on / collect icons together?
Sigmund this is just an idea for a "shortcut" in the short term - have a look at the Darkfire icon set from the Dingo Icon Themes Exchange. It should be possible to tweek the colour from red to orange relatively easily and then you would have a black/orange set rather than a black/red set. Even mix and match with the OLM-Orange supplied earlier if you like. They're both GPL so that's perfectly ok, although you would need to be careful picking icons that matched in terms of design and not just colour.

In the meantime, I've been playing with some black/orange icons myself. I'll send you a pack soon.

Cheers,

zigbert

#125 Post by zigbert »

I have updated main post with more info and new screenshots. The gtk-theme and jwm are now brothers of look. There is now nothing blue left in theme.

If it all feels good after some days of use, I will upload some more goodies.

Sigmund