(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 26 Oct 2020, 14:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.1 network wizard hangs when using ndiswrapper
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
valpy

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008, 08:06    Post subject:  Puppy 4.1 network wizard hangs when using ndiswrapper  

I'm having difficulty with the network wizard in Puppy 4.1 when using ndiswrapper: it looks like there is a bug in the dialogue.

The card involved is a Netgear WG111v2 (usb). My network uses WPA.

In previous Puppy versions, I haven't had success with the native Linux driver: it never seemed to work with WPA. However, using ndiswrapper with Windows drivers did work.

I know that there has been a lot of work put in to the new network wizard and drivers in Puppy 4.1, so I tried the native driver again (detected as rtl8187). Unfortunately, this still wouldn't work, so I decided to try ndiswrapper once more.

I clicked the 'Load Module' button in the wizard, and then on the 'Ndiswrapper' tab.
Then I clicked on the 'Use Ndiswrapper' button.
This gave a dialogue box which suggested that I should unload the current module for the interface - I clicked on “wlan0”, and blacklisted the rtl8187 module using the “Blacklist” button

I have attached a screenshot of the resulting dialogue.

There doesn't seem to be any way of progressing beyond this – if I click OK, then the dialogue box vanishes, the mouse pointer turns into a clock, and the dialogue just hangs – it never comes back to offer me the choice of .INF file.

So, I suspect a bug in the wizard dialogue.

The same issue exists in the network wizard in Puppy 4.1 retro version.

Any thoughts/fixes welcome!

Thanks in advance
valpy
snapshot.png
 Description   screenshot of dialogue box
 Filesize   29.13 KB
 Viewed   1912 Time(s)

snapshot.png

Doglover

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008, 08:32    Post subject: Same problem
Subject description: ndiswrapper hangs when looking for driver

Same issue with ndiswrapper, I'm trying to load Mrv800c.inf

No trouble with 4.1 beta.

But an Xorg issue, installed the full Xorg drivers in order to use mencoder, and it will crash when using firefox and gxine at the same time.
valpy

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008, 13:32    Post subject:  

Seems to be a known bug, which is being worked on.

See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31522&start=360 around p24 and p25 of the thread, 10th & 11th October 2008.
squashpup

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2008, 21:15    Post subject: Anyone have a workaround for this?  

I get the same error. I tried to drop to a command line and configure ndiswrapper manually, but the interface never shows up when I do ifconfig from a terminal. Even after a reboot, Puppy refuses to recognize my INF file, which I am using right now in Mint Linux without issue.

It would be nice to get this working! Anyone have a quick fix that will get me back on track?
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2008, 03:25    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34293
take a look at this guys

PS. Thanks again MU
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2008, 07:26    Post subject:  

Better still, 01micko has the WG111v2 working with Puppy's inbuilt rtl8187 module, which is a true Linux driver -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=242796#242796

Why use ndiswrapper when a native driver is available?
Come on guys, ndiswrapper was extensively used back in 2003 when Linux wifi drivers were not broadly available. It's late 2008, and the situation has changed dramatically.
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2008, 07:52    Post subject:  

I should have mentioned I got my wg111v2 to work with rtl8187. My problem was in my configuration after the module was loaded. Much simpler than NDIswrapper! I'm just waiting for someone to develop a module for my pcmcia card for my lappy. It too is netgear with the Marvell chipset. Smile
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2008, 08:10    Post subject:  

Unfortunately, the Marvell 88W-series is one of the few wifi chipsets not supported by a native Linux driver.
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2008, 16:47    Post subject:  

I did try though with the mrv8k module, a .pet is available for 2.14, but I am running 4.1 (compatibility issue?). It wouldn't install. Seems, after some research, that mrv8k is a work in progress, very slow progress! Rolling Eyes
Works fin with NDISwrapper though
Doglover

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2008, 21:19    Post subject: Marvell does support wpa
Subject description: I use Marvell because Puppy won't support wpa on rt2500

The reason I need to use ndiswrapper is because the card I use(Airlink) can support wpa. It is really strange that Puppy will not support wpa on the rt2500 minipc when it is fully supported on windows. I cannot get the rt2500 to work on sidux, either. I can post the windows exe if desired, why is it so hard to get wpa to work on the rt2500 minipc on Puppy?

The Airlink card uses the Mrv8000c.inf. Only $9 at Fry's. You can't get a better card for the money.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2008, 03:12    Post subject:  

Doglover wrote:
It is really strange that Puppy will not support wpa on the rt2500 minipc when it is fully supported on windows.

Are you talking about Puppy 4.0 or 4.1?
The situation is completely different between 4.0 and 4.1 in regards to Ralink RT2500 support.

Puppy 4.0 has the old "rt2500" Linux driver. This driver is not compatible with wpa_supplicant, that's why you cannot configure WPA encryption via the Network Wizard.
But the rt2500 driver does support WPA ... by using manual commands, as explained here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=159339#159339

Puppy 4.1 has the new "rt2500pci" Linux driver. This driver does support WPA via wpa_supplicant, so WPA connections should work OK using the Network Wizard.
pukadog

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct 2008, 11:16    Post subject:  

.[/quote]
Are you talking about Puppy 4.0 or 4.1?
The situation is completely different between 4.0 and 4.1 in regards to Ralink RT2500 support..[/quote]

To talk to the outside world I have to use a D-link DWA-142 USB that works good with ndis and Puppy 4.0. Hope there is continued support in 4.2 as the clock of death was no fun.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 05:31    Post subject:  

pukadog,
your DWA-142 has a Marvell chipset, so there's no point in quoting my post about the Ralink RT2500 chipset.

Your chipset is the USB variant of the Marvell 8388, and it should be supported in Puppy 4.1 by the usb8xxx module, which is a true Linux driver.

Try to load it in the Network Wizard.
pukadog

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 12:50    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
pukadog,
your DWA-142 has a Marvell chipset, so there's no point in quoting my post about the Ralink RT2500 chipset.

Your chipset is the USB variant of the Marvell 8388, and it should be supported in Puppy 4.1 by the usb8xxx module, which is a true Linux driver.

Try to load it in the Network Wizard.

Tried. Usb8xxx loads but doesn't see the adapter like ndis in 4.0 does. I'm also using the old 11.27.06 inf driver from d-link if that helps. The newer drivers don't seem to stay locked on to the ap as long (days vs minutes)
valpy

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov 2008, 17:14    Post subject:
Subject description: progress with native driver

@Tempestuous

Sorry I haven't replied to your earlier post, I've been away for a couple of weeks.

I had always had to use ndiswrapper with on a WPA networks on Puppy 3 and earlier (no rtl8187 in 3.00), but encouraged by 01micko's success and your post I had a another attempt to use the native rtl8187 driver (WG111v2 usb card) in Puppy 4.1 with the 2.6.25 kernel.

Results were mixed at first.

1. No problem connecting to an open network.
2. No problem connecting to a WEP network.
3 Could not connect to a WPA network at all via the wizard.

I spent a lot of time banging my head against a brick wall - eventually I could get connected if I ran wpa_supplicant from rxvt or from a script (as I used to have to do with ndiswrapper back in the Puppy 2.13 days), but I had no success with the new wizard at all.

Then I noticed something while running 'top' during an attempt to connect with the wizard: wpa_supplicant was running with the 'ipw' driver, whereas my successful attempts from the command line had used wext.

So I edited the WPA config file for my card in the /etc/network-wizard/wireless/profiles directory (something like 00:55:BC:94:E0:A0.WPA.conf) and changed the WPA_DRV="ipw" line to read WPA_DRV="wext".

Then, I could load the profile in the network wizard, configure the connection and save it for the next boot.

Success - a network connection that is rock solid, and comes up after every boot.

The only thing I mustn't do is to re-scan or re-save the config, because that re-creates the card config using ipw rather than wext - and then it won't work.

Tried this workaround in Puppy 4.1.1 and it is successful there too.

So, it appears that the problem I was having is that the wizard isn't setting the WPA driver for the rtl8187 correctly - in my case it seems to need wext, not ipw.

Does anyone else have experience of running rtl8187 with WPA on Puppy 4.1 with the 2.6.25 kernel?
If so, is wext needed - or does ipw work?

If there's a common glitch with rtl8187 and WPA then maybe we can request a change to the wizard for future releases to use wext?

(Still can't get ndiswrapper working for the card in 4.1 - but I don't need to now!)

Thanks
valpy
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: