Psword-0.7 gtkdialog bible reading software

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
KF6SNJ

#16 Post by KF6SNJ »

All it does is keep trying and trying and trying. The only error message is connection time out. It does connect to the crosswire site. That is about the best I can tell you. I am uncertain that a screen shot will be of any additional help.

Any rate, I have to get going. I have to get to work. I drive forklift for a living.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

plinej

#17 Post by plinej »

I'm really not sure why it won't work for you. It would be really helpful if you could start psword from rxvt and post all the messages that are in the terminal when you try to download a module. What is the path shown in the box "Select your sword module directory"? To get the ESV module the command that will be executed is:

Code: Select all

#wget www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/packages/rawzip/ESV.zip
That will download to /tmp and will be extracted to your sword module path.

I'll be implementing a different way to download newer or beta modules that will parse the rss feeds at crosswire. I'll work on that today and will hopefully have a 0.4 version out sometime soon.

plinej

#18 Post by plinej »

0.4 is up.

This version will parse crosswire's rss feeds for new and beta modules.

You guys will have to help me out with the map request since I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Maybe post a link to a map?

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

plinej

Psword-0.4 program looks promising, thanks,
Jim

steve_s

#20 Post by steve_s »

This is a little old thread, but hopefully it is still somewhat live.

plinej: I love this idea! I've used esword before, so very glad to see a puppy version...

I downloaded the "pet's" but they download as .exe files...am I doing something wrong?

Also, if want to manually add a sword module, do you have a recomended site to download those? Thanks!

plinej

#21 Post by plinej »

I'm not sure how downloading the dotpets would make them ".exe" files. The are certainly dotpets and not windows executables. I don't have any sites in mind for other sword modules. Are there other repositories besides crosswire?

steve_s

#22 Post by steve_s »

plinej wrote:I'm not sure how downloading the dotpets would make them ".exe" files. The are certainly dotpets and not windows executables. I don't have any sites in mind for other sword modules. Are there other repositories besides crosswire?
Hmmm....don't know why it did, either. I was using a different version of Linux when I downloaded it last time...I just now downloaded it and it worked fine, so no worries.

Crosswire was what I was trying to find out from you...is this the place to get new modules? Just confirming.

Since I will be installing the modules manually, is there a particular folder that I need to put them in? Or can the program find them ok if I just save them all to one folder? Thanks.

plinej

#23 Post by plinej »

Psword will download and install modules from crosswire from within the program. The default location for modules is /usr/share/sword/ but you will see that you can change that from within the Psword gui.

KF6SNJ

#24 Post by KF6SNJ »

ttuuxxx wrote:
plinej wrote: Oh by the way do the map files work on here also like Bibletime,? I don't use them, but I'm sure others might.
ttuuxxx
A map can be helpful while working on a good exegetical study. Do you realize how many people don't know that Bethlehem is really in Palestine and not Israel? Maps are useful for things like that.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

tom4jesus

#25 Post by tom4jesus »

I hope this project is still alive, any new versions or development? :D

My suggestion would be for it to somehow display the text within the width of the screen, like word wrap.
On my screen the verses are one long sentence and I have to scroll over to the right to read it all. It would be easier to just scroll up and down.

It is a nice simple reader and I really like it for a quick way to read the word.

One other thought maybe an option to use different fonts and sizes.

Blessings in the Lord,
Tom

steve_s

#26 Post by steve_s »

tom4jesus wrote:I hope this project is still alive, any new versions or development? :D

My suggestion would be for it to somehow display the text within the width of the screen, like word wrap.
On my screen the verses are one long sentence and I have to scroll over to the right to read it all. It would be easier to just scroll up and down.

It is a nice simple reader and I really like it for a quick way to read the word.

One other thought maybe an option to use different fonts and sizes.

Blessings in the Lord,
Tom
...I don't know about development directly on the puppy psword part of it. As far as the text wrapping, I had just cut and pasted it to abiword...I agree that some setting on that would be helpful, but it's a good tool to have either way...nothing like having quick easy resources on my little laptop regardless of whether I'm online or not...

plinej

#27 Post by plinej »

I haven't done any development on it since version 0.4 but I agree about the text wrapping. I've got some ideas to try out.

plinej

#28 Post by plinej »

In the meantime you could just click on the export button which will export the output to abiword. It is designed so you can print from there but it will display without having to scroll to the right.

dawnsboy

#29 Post by dawnsboy »

haven't done any development on it since version 0.4 but I agree about the text wrapping. I've got some ideas to try out.
That would be fantastic! I don't have Abiword anymore (small disk volume and I use google docs most of the time anyway). I greatly appreciate a word wrap feature. Thanks for sharing this great little app.

plinej

#30 Post by plinej »

I've made another option that will allow to view in geany which automatically wraps lines. I'm trying to figure out how to make it wrap in gtkdialog though.

plinej

#31 Post by plinej »

0.5 is up. I've added a "view" button on the display screen that will send the output to geany. You will only see this button if geany is installed on your system. Geany will wrap the lines in its display. I can't figure out how to wrap lines in an "edit" window using an input file within gtkdialog. Maybe someone reading can figure it out. You'll find the code in version 0.5 at /usr/sbin/psword on lines 560 thru 565.

dawnsboy

#32 Post by dawnsboy »

Thank you very much. I have installed it and it works quite well.

plinej

#33 Post by plinej »

Hey, no problem at all. I'm happy someone is using the program. It serves its purpose for me and keeps me from installing any of the big java/kde/gnome dependent programs.

tom4jesus

#34 Post by tom4jesus »

I have the new version and it is working great with Geany.
And, yes, your program is definitely being used.
I really like it for daily reading without loading a big program, it is just right.

Thanks so much for updating it! :D

Blessings,
Tom

Libretto100ct

#35 Post by Libretto100ct »

I've been using it since you released it. Great study tool. I will try the new version too.