Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
tempestuous

#46 Post by tempestuous »

MU wrote:ok, compiled this "madwifi-hal" with Kernel 2.6.27.
raffy wrote:it (ath5k) works well in 2.6.27 and eeePC 701 (based on my test of MU's compile of 2.6.27)
Then Eee users (and others with the Atheros AR5007EG wifi device) have a choice of two different drivers, and can test to see which is the best.

tempestuous

#47 Post by tempestuous »

If anyone wants to compile the Eee-compatible asus_acpi module under a different kernel, here is the asus_acpi source file taken from 2.6.25.16 kernel source, and hacked by me to match an earlier version of this file from the ASUS website.
Attachments
asus_acpi.c.gz
(11.92 KiB) Downloaded 1104 times

tempestuous

#48 Post by tempestuous »

For the Acer Aspire One:
here is a patched version of the ALSA snd-hda-intel driver to support the Aspire One's internal microphone.
The patch was obtained here -
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-ker ... 3861e83e4b
After installing this dotpet, reboot.

UPDATE Nov 8 2008
Forum member iscraigh has reported success with this driver.
Attachments
aspireone-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1
(118.96 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 08 Nov 2008, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#49 Post by tempestuous »

The Realtek rtl8187se wifi driver has just been updated in the earlier post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 747#237747
This updated driver is compiled from source code forked by "coffelius" from the buggy proprietary Realtek source code.

Dpup

Puppy 4.1.1

#50 Post by Dpup »

Installed the ASUS Eee mods from this forum on a new ASUS Eee 1000HA with Puppy 4.1.1 final on USB flash drive dual boot with XP. The internal wifi connects to my WPA2 TKIP wireless fine, also consistently reconnects on re-boot. My older Eee 4G would not reconnect on re-boot, so something appears to be different with the new Eee 1000HA internal wifi. Curious if anyone has idea of what that may be.

Audio and flash video also checks fine in Eee 1000HA.

I do like the Eee 1000HA with Puppy 4.1.1 with its 10 inch screen and larger keyboard and recommend it over the ASUS 701. The Eee 1000HA also runs very quiet.

Dpup

magerlab

#51 Post by magerlab »

is it possible to have OSD when using Fn keys any how in puppy?

Dougal

#52 Post by Dougal »

magerlab wrote:is it possible to have OSD when using Fn keys any how in puppy?
There's a package named "asus-osd", which was available from their source repo, which handles that. I don't know if tempestuous compiled it or not...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

tempestuous

#53 Post by tempestuous »

OK, here is the "asusosd" application. I have no idea how it works.
Eee users, I suggest you you just see what happens when you launch it -

Code: Select all

asusosd
Attachments
asusosd-eee.pet
(23.95 KiB) Downloaded 1047 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 08 Nov 2008, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

magerlab

#54 Post by magerlab »

i'll try tonight
thank you !

tempestuous

#55 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the latest e1000e driver for Intel 82571/2/3/4 & 82566/7 PCI-E gigabit network devices.
EDIT: It should be obvious, but I will spell it out anyway:
After installing this dotpet, reboot.
Attachments
e1000e-0.4.1.12-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(55.04 KiB) Downloaded 1114 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

magerlab

#56 Post by magerlab »

i tried osd and it works
run from konsole and saw that it needs some images in /usr/local/share/asusod
so i looked into xandros and took that folder into puppy

and now i have it working
the only thing that does not wwork correctly is pictures do not change when using sound control buttons

there's a script(very small) in xandros that controls sound but it does not work in puppy
i'll post these pics here tonight

venger

#57 Post by venger »

Hi all,

I've got puppy 4.1.1 with these asus pets all installed and working. Big thanks to tempestuos for providing these packages!

In my quest for full functionality on my 901, i am still trying to get these working:
(1) backlight defaults to max brightness at startup and return from screensaver. Is there any way to manually to set the backlight level? via a script of some kind? i had a look in the /etc/acpi directory and those scripts deal with toggling LCD, volume and wifi only.

(2) bluetooth - any got this working on their 901?

(3) when it is charging, my 901 temperature is rising up to 60+ degC. even with fan running at 40%. Is this normal for fellow users?

appreciate if you can share thoughts/experiences/fixes..

thanks again!

tempestuous

#58 Post by tempestuous »

For bluetooth you need the BlueZ utilities from here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25009

jakfish

#59 Post by jakfish »

Hi, Venger,

Yes, I have the same problem with the maximum brightness, and I haven't found any workaround yet.

I tried getting BT to run, but eventually found out my ebay-China dongle, while cheap and minature, will only run in XP. Do make sure that your BT adapter is Linux-ready--some brands, apparently, are not.

I have the 900, which may run a little cooler sans the hard drive, but I'm not certain. Since I have the extended battery, I run battery only, but when I have charged while using Puppy, there was a bump in temperature, but not 60C w/ fan. You could try CPU scaling; there's a thread here that is great, and I've used it successfully w/ the 900.

Jake

venger

#60 Post by venger »

@jake, thanks for sharing..

BTW, have you been able to setup laptop scripts? eg, shutdown on closing lid or lower power or idle for more than 30 mins...

i searched the forums but did not find any relevant threads...

tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

venger wrote:In my quest for full functionality on my 901, i am still trying to get these working:
(1) backlight defaults to max brightness
Apparently the "xbacklight" utility from http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/app/
provides backlight control. Do this -

xbacklight  -set x
where x is the percentage value that you want the backlight set to.
Attachments
xbacklight-1.1.pet
(9.39 KiB) Downloaded 3051 times

jakfish

#62 Post by jakfish »

>> BTW, have you been able to setup laptop scripts? eg, shutdown on closing lid or lower power or idle for more than 30 mins... <<

Venger, I have not played with shutdown upon lid-closing, or defaulting to lower CPU speed after a given time (the latter sounds especially intriguing) and as you say, I haven't found any threads in murga-linux that explore such things.

Tempestuous: many thanks for the backlight pet. I just downloaded it, will install and report back.

Jake

jakfish

#63 Post by jakfish »

I've just installed and played with the backlight pet. It works like a charm (no need to reboot, so you can experiment w/o changing your puppy_save file).

It installs w/o problem, and it simply sets a maximum brightness of your choosing, thus stopping the return of the usual 100% brightness after screen blank.

You can continue to manually adjust DOWN the brightness but can not go past the maximum brightness set by "xbacklight -set x" So if you set it at 50% brightness (eg "xbacklight -set 50"), that's your max until reboot or a change of command (reboot returns screen to 100% brightness).

I have not yet put the command "xbacklight -set x" in boot, since I'm not yet certain what level of default brightness is optimum. I'm guessing at 50%

Tempestuous/Dougal: you two have outdone yourselves. The eee pets available here, coupled with the magnificient 4.1.1, have perfected the eee/puppy relationship. With sound, true fn keys, fan control, and now brightness commands, I can not think of any eee area still wanting.

If only there were a pet to stop the battery-drain-while-off :)

Very grateful, I am,
Jake

tempestuous

#64 Post by tempestuous »

jakfish wrote:You can continue to manually adjust DOWN the brightness but can not go past the maximum brightness set by "xbacklight -set x"
Maybe backlight is best adjusted using "dec" (decrease) and "inc" (increase). For example to increase the backlight by 10% try this

xbacklight -inc 10

venger

#65 Post by venger »

@jake,tempestuos..
awesome! thanks for the tip on backlight.. ehehe.. yes, this threaad is starting to collect all the goodies for a netbook/puppy match :D

BTW, i found an old "wake and resume" thread. In there, there's a suspend script that works on the 901!.. tho, like in ubuntu, the suspend feature only works 50% of the time.. so a bit dicey..
And on resume, the fn keys stop working.. anyway, if i figure out how to fix the script, will post it here.

ciao..