What's the command to unconnect an ethernet card? - solved

Using applications, configuring, problems
shroomy_bee

What's the command to unconnect an ethernet card? - solved

#1 Post by shroomy_bee »

Alls I can find is 'ifdown ethX' - which does nothing, and isn't even recognised.

At first I thought this was a quirky Pup omission, but then found it didn't work and wasn't recognised in Backtrack 2 either. Yet it's all over every linux command reference that shows up in searches.
Is it an older 2.4.x.x command, and if so - does anyone know what the new one is? cause I can't find it anywhere.
Last edited by shroomy_bee on Mon 06 Oct 2008, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Nym1

#2 Post by Nym1 »

Hello,

The following works for me:

"ifconfig ethX down"

Bruce B

Re: What's the command to unconnect an ethernet card?

#3 Post by Bruce B »

shroomy_bee wrote:Alls I can find is 'ifdown ethX' - which does nothing, and isn't even recognised.

At first I thought this was a quirky Pup omission, but then found it didn't work and wasn't recognised in Backtrack 2 either. Yet it's all over every linux command reference that shows up in searches.
Is it an older 2.4.x.x command, and if so - does anyone know what the new one is? cause I can't find it anywhere.
They exist, if they exist in Puppy as busybox symlinks, at least in 4.00, that's how they exist.

You can type the following commands and see what you get:

busybox ifconfig
busybox ifdown
busybox ifup

If the commands show support, to make symlinks . . .

cd /sbin
ln -s ../bin/busybox ifup
ln -s ../bin/busybox ifdown
ln -s ../bin/busybox ifconfig
(probably already exists)

As for performance and options, they are cut down busybox utilities.

shroomy_bee

#4 Post by shroomy_bee »

Cheers guys.

For some reason all the (online) searches show up the same non-working commands. ifconfig is what I was looking for.

ifdown does show up with the busybox though, just not in 'man' ; the search results I was getting were using 'ifdown' and 'ifup' as though they meant the same thing as 'ifconfig'.

& of course, because I clicked on those stupid links not realising they were wrong, now they will be further bumped up in search hits - which is probably how they got displayed to begin with.

Thankfully, I now have access to a linux command resource online, so hopefully that pointless searching won't happen again.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

The command utilities are great, if you had the utilities. We don't we have them. What we have are BusyBox extensions, which are cut down versions of the real thing. Some times they don't function, in a best case scenario there is no man page for them, and they are still cut down versions of the real utilities.

shroomy_bee

#6 Post by shroomy_bee »

Yeah, I've noticed that a few times. The pppd signals list for the modem are available in usual linux 'man' pages also, but they don't show up in the online version that Pup uses.