playflash (mediaplayer instead slow player in your browser)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
greengeek

#31 Post by greengeek »

Thanks guys - I look for help in a 5 year dead thread and in 10 minutes I've got help. Fantastic.

Ok, I have installed Namaroka, changed various scripts as required and renamed it as Fireflash in/opt/fireflash. I start it using:

Code: Select all

/opt/fireflash/fireflash
and it runs well. However, it obviously grabbed my existing profile (bookmarks etc) and also the pre-existing mozilla plugins.

Then I tried running it via run-as-spot

run-as-spot /opt/fireflash/fireflash
and this makes it ignore my profile but it is still finding my pre-existing version of Flash plugin. Do you think it would ignore that original version if I simply added the Flash 9 version into the /usr/lib/fireflash/plugins directory or do I need to first make some other change to force Namaroka to ignore the mozilla plugins (and maybe the profile too if you think run-as-spot is not the correct way)?
mikeb wrote:--no-remote will run a separate instance
I gave this a go and it starts/runs ok but I'm unsure what effect I should be seeing...
and you can specify a profile too
Any tips on how to do this? Do I need to build (borrow/steal) a profile temporarily from somewhere else or is it good enough to specify the intended location of the profile and let it build its own? (--profile /opt/fireflash/.profile??)

I'm doing this on a Slacko derivative that has no persistence so I don't have to worry about killing any of my pre-existing profile etc as it is only in ram anyway - but I just want to know the 'official' way to get this right so that if I make a pet of the modified Firefox i dont want it to kill anyone elses profile if they try it elsewhere.

OscarTalks

#32 Post by OscarTalks »

Specify the profile location by adding:-
-profile /path/to/firefox3/profiledir
after the exec command.

You can also add a different HOME for it because some data files (mostly hidden stuff) are also created and stored there (other than the stuff in the profile).

eg:-

#!/bin/sh
HOME=/mnt/home/firefox3/firefox3home
/mnt/home/firefox3/firefox/firefox -profile /mnt/home/firefox3/firefox3profile "$@"
Oscar in England

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

Old topics never die...well half the posts on here are for the same stuff anyway :D

You are sort of answering your own questions :)

go for it.

It may be the shared mozilla plugin still overrides so you may have to move that to the other browser as well...suck it and see.

The no remote means if you are already running one firefox then you can run a fresh instance without interference... I use it to run firefox with a separate profile over ssh without disturbing the source machines user of firefox....ie links don't open up in her browser for example and no messages saying already running. It may not be needed for your intended use.

mike

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Hmmm, I think I am setting this up correctly but no matter what libflashplayer.so version I use I never see a Flashxxxx appear in /tmp. I think the Namaroka Firefox i am using must be using newer libs than the older firefoxes that i used to use which did let me see the flashxxxx in /tmp

I will have to come back to his when i have confirmed which combos of libflashplayer and firefox work together to give this function (maybe it's not even possible on Slacko - I think I used to use Lucid and also one of the Puppy 4's to achieve this).

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Ah one factor....I always have cache set to 0MB as I don't use dial up...this may have an effect on where the flash video gets downloaded to...ie cache in bits or /tmp.

10.0.15 flash works for me...10.3 does not...not sure when the cut off occured.

Mike

OscarTalks

#36 Post by OscarTalks »

What was the reason for wanting to use an older browser for this? They do have certain advantages sometimes but I find that Firefox 3 does not always render websites properly nowadays.

Also I am finding that the browser (older or newer) does not cope well with having 2 libflashplayer.so files. I was hoping the add-ons manager might allow you to disable one and enable the other but the setting seems to jump across to the other one.

If the main objective is to be able to grab the Flashxxx video files from /tmp I have it working here using the latest SeaMonkey which I run manually installed under /mnt/home with the profile and home data there also so everything (except launcher script and .desktop file etc) is outside my savefile.

I downloaded the flashplayer-10.0.42.34 from the pet-packages-common repo and placed the libflashplayer.so file in a directory. then I set up 2 simple scripts (which I named flashplayer-old and flashplayer-restore) to switch the libflashplayer.so file in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins between this older flashplayer and my default one. In fact I normally use the last ever 10.3.183.90 as my default one. The browsers never seem to complain about this one being outdated for some strange reason, but unlike the 10.0 the 10.3 does not place the Flashxxxx file in /tmp

Running the 10.0.42.34 the browser does report this as outdated in the add-ons manager and will not let me "Always" load the FlashPlayer. I can only do it as "Ask Every Time" but it is all working. Obviously you have to copy the Flashxxx video file out of /tmp before closing the browser tab or window otherwise it goes away.
Oscar in England

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

The older browser might be less annoying when it comes to plugin blocking perhaps... I use the older flash in newer seamonkey and do the usual to disable all that blocking crap anyway.

mike

greengeek

#38 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:If the main objective is to be able to grab the Flashxxx video files from /tmp I have it working here using the latest SeaMonkey which I run manually installed under /mnt/home with the profile and home data there also so everything (except launcher script and .desktop file etc) is outside my savefile.
Yes, that is exactly my aim. I wanted to retain the existing browser/flashplayer combo for most purposes (especially as i have it already running a good youtube downloader plugin), but also add a browser/flashplayer combo that was capable of storing the Flashxxxx in /tmp so I could grab flash from non-YT sites.

I had really only thought about using Firefox and Flash 9 as I thought that was what Mike once said he was still using, so I figured it would be an easy graft-in. However, there is really no reason why I couldnt copy what you have done with Seamonkey if that makes the process easier. The only thing is I do not have a /mnt/home directory so I will have to think about the best way to do this. I do not run a savefile (and use a personalised sfs instead). I'm not sure yet whether I would most prefer to add this into my main sfs (probably will) or else my personal sfs (as not all users would want this in the main puppy sfs). I should try both methods.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

By th eway many non you tube sites I have found give you the mp4 download if flash is disabled.... especially JW player ones.

Mike

was flash 10.0.15 I have tended to use for the /tmp trick

greengeek

#40 Post by greengeek »

OK, based on the idea that recent Seamonkey still allows the older libflashplayer to save to /tmp I did some further experimentation and discovered something which explains much of my previous confusion:

- If I rename the original libflashplayer.so as libflashplayerOLD.so and replace it with the older version of libflashplayer.so my browser still grabs the original flashplayer, rather than the one I want it to use.

- However, if I rename the original libflashplayer.so as libflashplayer.soOLD and replace it with the older version of libflashplayer.so everything works as i wanted it to.

So my mistake has been to think that changing the name of the original libflashplayer was sufficient to hide it. This is not the case - I have to move it out of the directory entirely, or else mask the suffix.

Traps for young players as they say...

This opens the way for me to do as you were suggesting Oscar and use a script to choose which version of flashplayer I want to put in the plugins directory. I have knocked up a basic one and it works perfectly with the browser that is currently inbuilt in Slacko so I don't need to change that.

i will post back with a pet.

thanks for the help!

greengeek

#41 Post by greengeek »

Here is a basic pet for Slacko 5.6 users (might work for other pups but not tested yet) but at this stage only recommended for "liveCD" use without savefile.

It adds an entry to the internet menu ("Fireflash /tmpsaver") that closes the current Firefox (if open) then swaps the flashplayer.so and reopens firefox. You can search the internet for the flash video you want and it will play in the browser but also appear in /tmp ready for manual saving.

***NOTE: this pet moves the original flashplayer.so to /opt and replaces it with an older version but in it's current form the pet does not restore it back when the browser is closed. This is fine if you are just using it temporarily to capture flash videos but if you then want to go back to original state you will need to manually restore flashplayer.so from /opt (or reboot if using liveCD boot instead of savefile)

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bubk2 ... gg-0.4.pet

I will have a tinker and try to make a pet that restores the original flashplayer automatically.

Thanks for the help all!

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

Flash is so gross I have it as a sfs now and just load the one i want.

Yes naming..I name the player as per version so I know which is which...only the .so makes a difference.

By the way have you seen the hacked flashplayers that spoof their version..stops some websites moaning

I have 10.0.15 spoofed as 10.3.15 for example.

Mike

greengeek

#43 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:By the way have you seen the hacked flashplayers that spoof their version..stops some websites moaning
I have 10.0.15 spoofed as 10.3.15 for example.
I do have a couple of version 10's (not sure exact versions) and one v9 that spoofs as a v10, but I am keen to collect as many versions as I can find and try them, as each one seems to have different issues.

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

You could open a market stall selling flash players.

Get an oracle account as a test pilot and you could do the same for Java :D

mike

greengeek

#45 Post by greengeek »

Well actually I was hoping you might give me a link to your favourite flashy. I'm now an official collector ...
:)
Java? Can't stand it.
:evil:
Attachments
collector.jpg
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 11 May 2015, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

Well I have flash from version 6 onwards...but not here...will upload a bundle for you when I get access. Also have a pile of standalone players too.

Java 1.6 is ok...just NEVER enable the web plugin.
There is some great software around for it...one favourite is a circuit simulator. And then some great 3d games and a space simulator too....
Used as a standalone program its fine.

mike

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

Do I qualify for a badge... have a similar set for windows too

If dropbox makes it look like you need to sign in just ignore it/close.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5uvwovlqmy0d ... hj-Ia?dl=0
mike

greengeek

#48 Post by greengeek »

Many thanks! Quite a collection.

What is the difference between the flashplayer and the libflashplayer?
mikeb wrote:Do I qualify for a badge.
Yep definitely - what would you like? "Worlds best Flasher" perhaps? I will keep my eyes open for a suitable graphic :-)
If dropbox makes it look like you need to sign in just ignore it/close.
There is a link underneath the signup box that says "Nope - continue to download". That seems to be the quickest way.
cheers!

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

flashplayer is the standalone player (click and play) and lib is the plugin.

Looking forward to being a flasher.... especially now the weather has warmed up...

mike