NVIDIA drivers for k2.6.25.16 (puppy 4.1)

For drivers and kernel modules.
MU

#54 Post by MU »

not only xorgwizard recreates xorg.conf, but also Puppys startupscript "xwin".

There are 2 xorg.conf:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.YourCard_YourMonitor

YourCard_YourMonitor is a unique name on each machine, so look up the exact name with:
ls /etc/X11

If one is different from the other, xwin becomes "destructive".
This mechanism is part of the hardwaredetection, so the installers I make for graficscards, will copy xorg.conf over to xorg.conf_YourCard_YourMonitor, once a change was made.

So when you ran the nvidia installer, you must perform that step by hand, like:

ls /etc/X11
cp -ax /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.YourCard_YourMonitor

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Nekroze

#55 Post by Nekroze »

thanks for the responses but the problem is:

once i have run xorgwizard and then nvidia-xconfig then the only way i can get back into a running X is doing xorgwizard there is no other way i have tried startx even xwin and also with adding icewm on the end of those two.

i cannot get xorg to open once i have run nvidia-xconfig without running xorgwizard.

so that puts those plans kind of out...

Nekroze

Pizzasgood

#56 Post by Pizzasgood »

Then after running nvidia-xconfig, you will need to modify your xorg.conf file by hand because Xorg isn't liking something that nvidia-config did. You can use the mp commandline text editor. It's configured for the normal ctrl-s for save and ctrl-q for quit, none of the funny vi / emacs stuff.

You should use cp to make a copy of xorg.conf immediately after running nvidia-config, so that you can attach that version of the file for us to look at. Also, after making the copy try running startx, and then make a copy of the Xorg.0.log file for us too.

You can use mp or less to read the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file from the commandline after a failed attempt to start X. Probably the most interesting part will be at the end, where it gave up. That might give you enough of a hint to figure out how to fix xorg.conf on your own.

For the record, startx is just a symlink to xwin, so they are completely synonymous. And you shouldn't need to try adding the WM option to it. Just to save you some time in testing.

You may want to try simply taking the xorg.conf file that xorgwizard generates and changing the "driver" field of the card section from "vesa" to "nvidia", then restart X and see what happens. I haven't used an nvidia card in Linux for several years, but I don't remember it doing anything really special. In the case of my ATI drivers it mostly just replaces the stuff I already have with much uglier looking names, but nearly identical content.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#57 Post by Lobster »

up to now I have been using the
NVIDIA-177.82-k2.6.25.16.pet
but sadly it does not work with 4.3
(possibly the new kernel)

Any hope of a recompilation or some solution?
the card is the in built GeForce7050PV/Geforce7025

thanks guys
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

joel

Need latest nvidia drivers for k-2.6.21.7

#58 Post by joel »

Hey I need some help. On my friends hp, the only kernel we can use is 2.6.21.7, other wise it hangs for ten minutes at 'booting kernel'. Therefore we are having trouble setting up his nvidia card. He has a gforce go 7200 so we would need the 190 drivers, the trouble is all the packages are compiled for newer kernels (ones we cant use). is it possible for anyone to compile the 190 and 185 drivers for 2.6.21.7? It would really help a lot as we are stuck in limbo and cannot get his video working right.

Please help

Pizzasgood

#59 Post by Pizzasgood »

I just got a new nVidia card this week and installed the drivers directly from Nvidia's website. It was pretty easy. I just had to have the devx_xxx.sfs file and the relevant kernel source sfs file installed. Then I downloaded the driver file (long-ugly-name.sh) to /root, exited X, and ran "sh long-ugly-name.sh". I answered the questions it asked, and presto, it worked. (Though it mutilated my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file - but I anticipated that so I backed it up and then compared them to apply changes to my original file. Basically the only important thing it did was change the driver being used from "vesa" to "nvidia".)

If that's more than you can handle, let me know which version of Puppy this is for and I'll see if I can get it done. (But my schedule is pretty wacky so it might not be done promptly.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

joel

#60 Post by joel »

that seems easy enough. Ill report back after I try it (with success I hope).

Thanks
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

gray

k2.6.21.7

#61 Post by gray »

joel,

I have uploaded an nvidia 190.53 pet for the 2.6.21.7 kernel to the NOP download site. Try that.