NVIDIA drivers for k2.6.25.16 (puppy 4.1)

For drivers and kernel modules.
sml

#31 Post by sml »

Haha .. I was going to say exactly the same thing!

You're a legend Gray!

afecelis

#32 Post by afecelis »

more 3d accelerated stuff; the Puppy compiling and running Irrlicht! Gotta love it! ;)

thegreeneyes

Nvidia drivers for k2.6.25.15 (Puppy 4.1)

#33 Post by thegreeneyes »

Hi, great Forum!!

I am newbie with Linux, and I am trying to install the driver for GeForce 7100 Graphics card. The chipset came onboard on XFXforce motherboard 630i.

I am running Intrepid Ibix from hard disk since last weekend. I downloaded the 177 driver Alvaro mentions, and apparently installation is OK. I exit to prompt and run nvidia-xconfig, and later I made a cat of the config file and I saw there are some lines referring to nvidia. Later I ran xwin and came back to my desktop.

I clicked on Menu->System->Nvidia X server settings

and a graphic interface pops up (NVIDIA X Server Settings), and simultaneously another screen pops up saying:

ou do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

I repeated the procedure twice and obtained the same results. I rebooted completely in between. Is this the normal behaviour, or this driver is now working fine for my chipset?

Another question I ask you to allow me to post is : how do I connect the HDMI output ?, I mean, shouldn't there be some way to have both screens simultaneously online?, I tried on Ubuntu, and there is a package which allows to control both screens in such a way. But I'd rather use Puppy which I find more userfriendly (although I am not very experienced).

Another one... (the last) is there a way to install the Ubuntu packages in Puppy?, perhaps that could work... I don't have any idea.

Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions.

Vic

Fishy

#34 Post by Fishy »

Will these pets work with the 2.6.27 kernel that MU put together? :?:

MU

#35 Post by MU »

don't think so.
But in Muppy008.4c4 that should be available tomorrow, I could compile the drivers, so they will be included.
I used the original nvidia installer to compile them.
But I don't think the one I compiled for Muppy will work in Puppy (different compiler).
So for Puppy, you had to compile them on your own.
I no longer have access to a computer with modern nvidia card, so I cannot compile it for you, as the installer refuses to compile, if it finds no matching nvidia card.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Fishy

#36 Post by Fishy »

Thanks for the quick reply MU, gratefully appreciated. :)

sketchman

#37 Post by sketchman »

Fishy, did you ever get your card working with any of the driver .pets? If not, I think I know the problem, as I have the exact same thing happen.

I have an 8600 GTS. I think it's the card's fault. I tried 2 different driver .pets for 4.1 and even went back to Puppy 2.17.1 and tried the ones that gray made for it, which I know worked before. Nothing works now but the standard xorg setup.

I just tested the 177.82xx.pet and it worked fine in another PC with a 6100. Got 1774.xxx FPS out of it in glxgears. So it's something to do with your PC, not the drivers. At least that's what I've concluded with my setup.

Hope that helps.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

MU

#38 Post by MU »

works fine, thanks!
See:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 705#257705

I noted, that
driver "vesa" #card0driver
still is in xorg.conf, it is before
driver "nvidia".
Maybe the script that modifies xorg.conf should slightly be tweaked concerning this.

The card displayed 1600x1200 instead of 1680x1050.
This looked ugly, as the monitor can handle only 1680x1050.
I could solve this with a modeline I found via google:

In
Section "Monitor"
I added:
Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087

Now all is fine.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#39 Post by MU »

I created small sourcepackages of the KERNEL modules.
So the PETs can be used also with other kernels, if someone compiles the matching kernelmodules.
Then only a very small kernelmodule pet is required in addition.
See:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 106#258106

Mark

Botanic

#40 Post by Botanic »

what if the NVIDIA installer script freezes when trying to download what he needs from the internet ? :)
is that because i'm on a WLAN? (didn't have this problem with ethernet).
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

MU

#41 Post by MU »

I think it just looks for precompiled kernelmodules.
As those do not math Puppy anyway, you can skip that step.
If you still get problems, try to go offline first.
Mark

Botanic

#42 Post by Botanic »

I skip and he proposes to compile stuff himself. I say ok, but i get the following error message:
Error: unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. [...] If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
I'm running in full install, i merged devx_412.sfs in my system. I think the kernel source is included in devx, isn't it ?
With Puppy 2.16, there wasn't the error message, Nvidia compiled what he needed and everything was fine.
But if i remember well there was a /src folder in 2.16... i can't find it here with 4.12

Botanic

#43 Post by Botanic »

Indeed that's the problem: i don't have the kernel sources !!
And i can't compile alsa drivers for the same reason

Why are they not included in devx?? :x

gray

Latest

#44 Post by gray »

Added the latest NVIDIA driver - 180.44

(see main post)

Max Headroom

Hey Gray it'd be Great if a Guru like U could transform Comp

#45 Post by Max Headroom »

Hey Gray it'd be Great if a Guru like U could transform Compiz-Fusion into a sfs package that could be run w/ Xfce, eNlightenment or MacDingo :)

Ps. Super 14 Glory 2KX ( that is Next Yea' ) :)

Vyse

#46 Post by Vyse »

I am on a frugal Puppy 4.2. I have a 7600GT....and none of the drivers( I tried all of them....just in case any of them worked) work for me. After installation, when I drop out of X and restart it....it just doesnt start. I have to edit xorg.conf to use the generic driver to get X working again.

And the generic driver detects my resolution as 1600x1200 instead of 1440x900!!

Sigh.....

Vyse

#47 Post by Vyse »

Great...yet another problem.
I removed the driver and tried to install them again....but now it says that they are installed...even though they arent!!

I have no idea why is this happening, Earlier with my 8800GTX everything worked fine. Dunno whats the problem with this 7600GT. Perhaps its the graphic card at fault?

Nekroze

Sweet!

#48 Post by Nekroze »

Alright!

Just posting to confirm that i have my Nvidia GTX295 finally working under puppy with your pets! i am not sure that it is using both of the GPU cores as the GTX295 is a dual core but i have no real way of testing that much performance under Linux do i. it seems odd that the glxgears fps seems to be the around the same for me as for the others that have shown their fps results is it locked or something cause i have seen similar such things showing me fps in the thousands for my card...

not worried though so long as it works thanks a HEAP!!!
Nekroze

PS: i have noticed that when i move windows it still shudders along like it dose under windows when i have not installed the drivers?

PPS: this is a BIG one for me my monitor and my GPU have always run this screen at 1920x1200 res and when i boot puppy and go through the Xorgwizard it says i can choose that resolution however i have always seen something a little wrong with it and it seems that it has been set to 1680xblah something but i say it is not actually the res i chose can you help with this?

PPPS: and adding another problem. just before installing the driver i was able to run blender and now i am not i don't know why but i thought i might add that... im not too fussed on that one at the moment though

Nekroze

#49 Post by Nekroze »

bump for this as i am still and more so having indications that it is not working with my gtx295. every time i open the config thing in the menu it says i am not using the driver even if i follow all instructions i just don't know what to do.

i have been wanting to play Vendetta Online and am having may problems but i believe this is why can some one PLEASE help this is becoming a turning away point for puppy. although i would not completely leave puppy i would for the most part look towards perhaps gentoo for many more of my tasks for my main rig.

but i do not want to leave and if i can get this working under puppy it would just be a testament to puppy's capabilities at also having the ability for raw gaming

Pizzasgood

#50 Post by Pizzasgood »

To check if direct rendering (DRI) is working:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
Yes means it is, no means it is not. If DRI isn't enabled then something is wrong.

Xorg sometimes gets confused between the resolution you tell it and the refresh rates. You might need to look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and adjust the refresh rates manually (you can probably comment them out and let Xorg decide on it's own).

Also, make sure that the file has the correct driver set for your card. Puppy likes to reset the driver if X has trouble starting or anything. I don't remember if xorgwizard also resets that (I imagine so). Generally, it's best to only use xorgwizard to initialize the file, then hand edit it to get it working how you want, then make a backup so that you can fix it if Puppy messes things up.

If xorg.conf is correct, look in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to see if there are any relevant errors or warnings. Please attach a copy of both Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf to your post so we can look through them too. (You probably need to put them in a zip or .tar.gz file for the forum to let you attach them).

Code: Select all

tar czf xorg_files.tar.gz /etc/X11/xorg.conf /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]