T2 questios for Barry

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
cb88

T2 questios for Barry

#1 Post by cb88 »

Ok I have your t2-dingo and the source tar downloaded and installed I was able to sucessfully follow all of your instructions and compile an i686 optimised set of binary packages and an smp kernel

I have now downloaded the entire T2 source minus a few broken link packages and e17 svn which none of which downloaded

now that i have done that i wish to better understand the profile system in T2 so that i can port piglett over to the latest (this may very well be the first step toward communuty centered development since is a task that only you have proformed in the past)

I hope to fully document the process so others can do it too... although it may turn into an FAQ/howto on the wiki beyond whatever i figure out... yeah that would probably be best

so far what i understand about the piglett profile is that it is composed of a package list and a kernel config I think i understand the package list but the kernel confige might could us a little clearing up as far as what options are best etc... also is there anything other than just binaries that T2 is currently generating that i don't know about like the initial ram disk etc? most likely compiling the entire T2 is gonna take at least a week on my box

finally i guess i am going to stick to i486 for this build with smp although i am highly interested in i686 builds since those binaries open a can of woop tail on my dual PII :-)

BTW posting this from links -g atm sorry if the formatting is wierd
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

ttuuxxx

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

hey cb88

When I was playing around with T2, The #T2 at freenode was very helpful, Not a large room, but they actually help :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

that is good to know... too bad im still pretty internet disconnected at home for the time being
The complete new filesystem has been built in build/piglet001-8.0-trunk-piglet-x86-i486/. Also, all successfully compiled packages have been made into .tar.bz2 tarballs, to be found in:
build/piglet001-8.0-trunk-piglet-x86-i486/TOOLCHAIN/pkgs/

You can copy these packages out, and use them in Puppy.
barry that is the part i don't quite understand.... so we have the packages built is it the t2-to-puppy scripts than handle this ... is manual intervention required?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Manual intervention, yes. I uploaded my scripts that process the T2 binary packages -- recently, it was announced on my blog.

Those scripts, which probably need some more work, do create basic Puppy packages and the devx directory.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

cb88

#5 Post by cb88 »

tried to copy the piglett profile to T2 svn but it died compiling bdb

saying that the compiler couldn't produce executables or something like that.... however the generic desktop target seems to be chugging a long just fine