Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Jan 2020, 03:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Need suggestions for installation type
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 05:32    Post subject:  

Thanks everybody again for your suggestions. Very Happy

@Bruce B

I had not so much problems upgrading win9x to newer version. I hate Ms patches expecially when they're automatic. I used to disable them and install only service pack.
If I compare win installation, running puppy from cd it is very easy like drinking water glass. no stress:)

@Lobster

I never tried to save data multisessions, but I wonder saving onto hard disc is safer. My opinion is if I save data everyday onto the same dvd/cd will ruin cd causing data loss. Anyway right now, I'm still running from cd without saving data at the end of session because I'm not installing but I'm testing.
Point 4 you described is a big advantage Smile

@Sage

With upgrade I meant to say upgrade puppylinux version to newer. The total non sense was found http://puppylinux.org/wiki/how-tos/general/frugalvsfullinstall
and I quote what I found there:

"A Full install runs faster in low-RAM computers; but is very complex/impossible to upgrade (you wipe and replace with a new version of Puppy) and cannot be placed on a Windows FAT32 or NTFS hard drive/partition."

I don't know if that wiki guide is made well or not, but I've taken it for good.
I've read around searching on google and here too, but I haven't found a detail answer on my particular case.
It is interesting you accessed to very old Hd. I was wondering if I can access to an old Hd I have that doesn't work in windows (I think it is broken). Maybe Puppylinux could read the unreadable.

[OT] _MegadetH_ stands for nothing you said Razz It's the name of a heavy metal band playing from 80s til nowdays. The capitalization refers to the original logo http://www.megadeth.com/downloads/megadeth_logo_chrome_728.gif First and last letter capitalization is because these type of 80s bands like MetallicA use to write their logo like that[/OT]
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 06:41    Post subject:  

Thanks for your exposition from the music archives. Afraid my Heavy Metal influence stopped with the originator (Hendrix), still rated best guitarist ever, jazz, classic or pop, maybe side-by-side with Jango?
What you report in bold typeface is utterly wrong. However, it is correct that it is not possible to use FAT partitions for FULL installs. Who cares - ext2.
And, yes! You can make a FULL installation to a 540Mb drive (just - at least, that was so with 3.01); might want to play safe with 4.1 and dig out a 1.2Gb. Use a separate 120-200Mb drive as a dedicated swap drive. Save to a USB keyfob. You really don't need a quad core all-singing-dancing box, just a dusty old reject for 99% of PC activities.

No! no! that's not me (dusty old reject)!
_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 07:27    Post subject:  

@Sage

I'm really impressed by how puppylinux is fast running from a cd. I'd like to save onto hd rather then usb, because I'm sure with passing time saved file will become huger than usb capacity.
yes I don't need a quad core, I think a an old pc with a minimal linux distro goes faster than a new pc with vista. anyway vista is a curse for computers.

[ot] I agree Hendrix is best guitarist for its time, because he was innovative. Nowdays I think we've lot of better technic playing (expecially in classic metal) than him. Anyway i agree Hendrix was the guitar innovator [/ot]
_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 06:04    Post subject:  

I came back to my thread to ask you a question:
Now I've a full hd install. I'd like to make some pupsav into hd to test some programs without affecting main full install. How can I do it? Is it possible to choose between several pupsav in Grub without using livecd?
bambuko

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 07:14    Post subject:  

_MegadetH_ wrote:
... The total non sense was found http://puppylinux.org/wiki/how-tos/general/frugalvsfullinstall
and I quote what I found there:

"A Full install runs faster in low-RAM computers; but is very complex/impossible to upgrade (you wipe and replace with a new version of Puppy) and cannot be placed on a Windows FAT32 or NTFS hard drive/partition."

I don't know if that wiki guide is made well or not, but I've taken it for good.

You are not the only one to get distracted by this stuff on wiki Twisted Evil
Have a look at this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31725
it will save Bruce writing it all over again Smile
and is well worth reading in my humble view

Trouble I found, as a beginner, you do not have ability to discern between good and up to date info and confused out of date nonsense ... and there is plenty of both on internet - just because it is written doesn't mean it is any good... Wink

Chris

ps and as for that:
_MegadetH_ wrote:
I came back to my thread to ask you a question:
Now I've a full hd install. I'd like to make some pupsav into hd to test some programs without affecting main full install. How can I do it? Is it possible to choose between several pupsav in Grub without using livecd?

have a look here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34795
it is talking about Puppy+another distro, but it is just as applicable to Puppy+another Puppy
You can create many additional partitions for your individual Puppy experiments

Here is yet another (different) solution to your problem:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35173
ICPUG

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 08:39    Post subject:  

_MegadetH_

Full hard disk install doesn't use a Pupsave file, (even if it might appear to have been copied there).

Pupsave files are used with Live CD and frugal installations. They could be used for testing as you suggest with these type of installations.

With a full install I don't think you can use a pupsave file like you want.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 08:54    Post subject:  

_megadeatH_ and bambuko,

I don't know if I referenced this to you already but this is good basic reading material.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Bligh

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 09:07    Post subject:  

Has anyone tried giving Puppy a dedicated data hdd with no os installed and booting from cd. I would like to try it after I learn more about saving pup files to sub directories, to keep them clearly separated. That way multiple puppies could share a common data drive.
Cheers
alienjeff

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 09:17    Post subject:  

@Bligh

Short answer: yes.

Bligh

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 10:13    Post subject:  

Thanks, I suspected someone had. I have multiple puppies in the same directory, so far, Puppy has kept them sorted out. Are there concerns about multiple pups in the same dir?
Cheers
_MegadetH_

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 11:43    Post subject:  

Thanks for giving information links

@bambuko, links you gave was useful for me. Expecially last one, it is what I was looking for. I hope to make it work. Smile

@Béèm nice information page, I read it and bookmark it for future references. Wink
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: