Are you a regular TEENpup User? Has it been useful?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

Are you a regular TEENpup User? Has it been useful?

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello to anyone using TEENpup a lot or just a little.
As I spend a lot of my time creating and hopefully improving each release of TEENpup, I'm interested in seeing what Users actually use TEENpup for. May be nobody's using TEENpup at all, HA! HA! so any comments I look forward to reading. Also to make it interesting, what do you really HATE! about TEENpup, let it all hang out, I won't be offended, no Operating System is perfect.
Do I use all the Apps in TEENpup 2009 Legacy, No I don't. I just tried to imagine what the average PC User might need for every day use.

So while I work on TEENpup 2010 Mini (Puppy 4.2.1 Based around 300Mb's in size) which is not intended to replace TEENpup 2009 Legacy when it comes out in September, but to hopefully offer some of the Apps users might liked to have used TEENpup 2009 Legacy for but found that their Hardware wasn't compatible.

I look forward to reading your comments and feelings.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

Will it include "X File Explorer" [Xfe]?

At the moment Teenpup 2009 won't work on my hardware, and I'm waiting with anticipation for the release of a Teenpup version that will work.

BHINTZ

#3 Post by BHINTZ »

I have teenpup as a full install on my at home work machine. It has everything I routinely need and is especially valuable because it still has remote desktop so I can access the server at work. I am looking forward to the mini, but would worry about my wireless connection and RDC, both of which seem to have great difficulty or fail to work at all in some of the newer kernels.

bob

Cakeordeath8808

Teenpup use

#4 Post by Cakeordeath8808 »

John,

Thank you for all your hard work on this pupplet. I like having it on a thumb drive to show off how easy Linux can be to a typical windows user and while there are other derivatives and pupplets that are good at this I really appreciate the side icon bar. The whole UI has been very thoughtfully set up for ease of use. It gets them in the program of there choice quickly.

The only real problem I have had are sound driver issues with an older Teenpup 1.0 I believe or 2.14 and that was just a audio driver issue with that version of puppy on some hardware from what I have read. Also I have not been brave enough to start removing programs and processes in any linux yet but I would love to hack away at Teenpup 2009 to get it comfortably running in 128 mb ram (I have a bunch of very old laptop computers from an auction that I am rehabbing and sending out as gifts). Another possibility would be to have similar abilities to Choice pup to be able to customise aspects of the install. At the end of the day if I am looking for that size of footprint I can go to a Macpup, Browserlinux, or Barelypup. I just prefer your UI set up for new users/windows converts better. Is there a pet for that side bar that I would be able to use in a new or existing pet?

Again thanks for all your hard work

PS I think you have a great basis for a net-book remix.

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Difficult call. This is a very attractive project. However, the choice of distros has never been so extensive.
There will be a (small) list of essential contents for most users.
For example, I tend to look for distros with vibrant communities, regular updates and patches, strong performance as a fully installed entity (regardless of developers' intent). I look for an Xfce desktop, Opera browser and Streamtuner, plus functioning BBC iPlayer.
I try to avoid transatlantic offerings due to their stupid attitude towards SW patenting, although there are a few enlightened developers over there who either ignore their own Laws or, thoughtfully, include pop-ups inviting 'foreigners' to click here for critical non-free content you are going to need wherever you live. Eventually the penny will drop and even SuSE will publish their work from their European base?!

Colonel Panic

#6 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've been a fan of Teenpup since March this year, when I downloaded John's then current Teenpup 2008 and was able to watch a rock video in only 128 MB of RAM - amazing.

I've since done the same with Teenpup 2009 and have just made a full (i.e. hard drive) installation of it. It's a very impressive effort, especially bearing in mind it's one person's work (on top of Puppy itself of course). So, well done (again) John and thanks (again) for a good distro.

The only problem I've had so far is that XOrg doesn't work on my machine in either a frugal or a full install, so I have to use the inferior (for me anyway) XVesa.

All the same I really like the appearance, especially the info bar on the right giving details of the time, date, system resources in use etc. For some reason this and the flower wallpaper reminds me of a song, the Young Rascals' "Groovin'."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbSYwlxwotY

Maybe it would be good to have that as Teenpup's startup tune?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

kazzamozz

TeenPup

#7 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi there,
I would be a more frequent user as I think its a great puplet, but have run into a few problems in getting it to play nice.
Running a revamped Dell DHP and 15" Samsung screen. I do have lot's of other systems I can play with it on. My only constraint is time.

At the moment I have it on the live CD as I have a heap of 400 plus puppy series on my son's system and it doesn't like to mix with them.
I found this out the hard way, but it was a good learning curve.

Had a few errors when booting up but perserverance paid off.
It really is a polished puplet.

I'm new to puppy but am determined to get it working smoothly, will now set it up on a USB stick instead or external hard drive.

Decided to keep the series 2 version puppies separate until I learn more about things.

Have totally ditched Windows on all my machines, just the kids have one now for school work. I will destroy that need very shortly.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to your next project.

Hope this is the sort of feedback you are after.

Cheers
Kazzamozz

Colonel Panic

#8 Post by Colonel Panic »

Bad news unfortunately.

I was about to post on this thread when sadly, with just this tab open and the Yahoo! Weather tab (see below) open in the same window, Teenpup locked up and I couldn't get anything more out of it;

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/UKXX1879.html

I've therefore had to switch to a non-Puppy distro in order to post. Sorry, but I have to work with the machine I've got. I have the same or similar problems with most of the Pups I've used prior to 4.2.

I may well download Teenpup Mini though, it sounds good.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

john biles

#9 Post by john biles »

Hello Colonel Panic,
The yahoo page opens fine in testing on TEENpup 2010 Mini.
Not to far away now!

Colonel Panic

#10 Post by Colonel Panic »

John, glad to see Teenpup Mini's coming along well. I don't mean to say that Teenpup 2009 is poor just because I've had trouble browsing with it; it might just be my machine. For example, when I've got Zenwalk installed on it X Windows breaks when I open up a terminal on the desktop, whereas this doesn't happen when I do the same on a machine in my local community centre (the same one on which I was able to watch a Hawkwind rock video in 128 MB of RAM).

gnz11

thanks john

#11 Post by gnz11 »

i first started using teenpup 2008. it was nice in that the vidoe worked right off. this was during the change between 2x.3 and 4 series.

i have used teenpup 2009 and it is a good followup.

the only issue with it for me is that i had to run it live so it wwas close on 512m.
the main thing i appreciate is the work to have everything work right off. with a standard pup you may need to update or add to get it how you want but teenpup is just about all you want even with tp214 or tp 200.

i will be following what happens with mini teen 2010

omskates

#12 Post by omskates »

TeenPup 2009;
If I'm dumb enough to click on the text "logout" in menu rather than the submenu it kills X and have to run Xorg & Xwin subsequently. I'd like to fix that before I install to USB for my sister.

Really a brilliant distro for beginners or anyone alike. Has almost a built in tutor as you navigate around.

Hope 2010 mini has same games or more as well. Thanks

omskates

#13 Post by omskates »

TeenPup 2009;
double post - sorry

har_singh

Teenpup 2009 USB STICK INSTALL DONT WORK

#14 Post by har_singh »

I LOVE TEENPUP.

but i wanted it on usb stick with windows program netbootdisk but its not working.
it tries to find cd and when it didnt find stops and says no media.

could you please solve the dilemma

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

Don't use Windows crap.

Plenty of tutorials.
Pretty similar...but just select for USB install.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29653

////////

Installing macpup opera 061 to your hard drive......easy as pants...

Different Puplet....method is nearly the same

/////////

Try another USB port.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47497

///////

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48350

Chris.

nancy reagan

Using it for 4 days mow

#16 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi John,

Thought it was meant for teenagers .. and having stored it on a rw it would not run on my notebook, bur found out well on cd-r.

At first sight I like it very much, autoconnect, hmm, and streaming video from our Dutch BBC, now automatically opens again as it used to do on ordinary pups before long. Even saving streams is possible without hard work.

However, I just found out that it won't mount my usb drives that are in a pcmcia slot.

ANY IDEA ?

Still some more question.

As I would also like it to give to a Winblower without ext2 (or somethuing linux format) with an old computer.

1. Is it required that one should have a linux partition (for swapping) ?

2. If I start pfix=noram, does it mean that it can be used even on computers with 256Mb (running livecd) ?

3. Is there a possibility to reach my usb scanner, and drives, through a pcmcia-slot ?

(Because I was so pleased you joined at least 3 scanner programs etc., maybe this time)

Anyway thanks for the beautiful dustro.

Nancy

john biles

#17 Post by john biles »

Hello nancy reagan,
While TEENpup's original concept was to beautify Puppy, add lots of codecs so Youtube, facebook etc worked to attract Teenagers to Puppy, this has not been the goals for TEENpup for the last few releases. I have thought of changing the name but users are now use to it. TEENpup is a general release with as much usability as possible.
While creating TEENpup I learn more about Linux and what I learn I put in TEENpup so TEENpup improves as I improve.
I get asked a lot of questions I don't have an answer for as I myself don't know. Luckily other forum members have posted answers and I'm grateful to them.

As for your questions all I can say is this:
You need to make a Linux partition with Gparted if you want to install TEENpup to your friends PC.
It's worth trying to create a new partition by resizing the partition with Windows on it. Gparted should be able to move Windows giving you a new partition for Linux. Defrag Windows first, warn your friend that while there is a good chance everything will go well, it may not work and Windows might not work. If you have the original Windows Install disc, then get your friend to copy all their photos, music etc to CD's etc, try and resize the windows partition and then if this fails, start from scratch, create 3 partitions 1 for windows, 1 from TEENpup (I use ext2) and 500Mb's of swap. you have to reinstall windows first and then Install TEENpup.
Basically while TEENpup boots if it finds you have less ram than it can copy itself to it will just run live from the CD and you can't use your CD drive. Any PC with 256MB's or less of ram will benefit from having some swap. TEENpup will still run but mostly will run slower and if you start surfing the internet, you will find that Seamonkey will run slower and slower as more ram is taken up with cookie and all that stuff.

Your pcmcia-slot issue I have no experience with and maybe you can post for help somewhere else on the forum. what works for Puppy 2.14 should work for TEENpup.

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Glad to see that this thread is still live. Took your m.o. with me on a recent trip to show to folks. It was extremely well received, beyond my best expectations. Definitely worth continuing the good works with polishing, upgrading and patching. Changing the name would be a masterstroke, even if it causes short-term confusion! MU was following a similar track of a comprehensive distro based on Puppy - have you liaised with him? This approach could have much greater penetration than you envisage with good publicity and marketing as it offers substantially all the requirements of the present generation of users, although that will always remain a fast-moving target. As such, scope to concentrate on full installation, probably? This is probably what most punters are looking for, even if they don't yet know it.

john biles

#19 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
I've been thinking about changing the name for a while now as TEENpup's focus has changed. I might do it for TEENpup 2010 Mini which I've got to release soon. Your true about the "Fast Moving Target" as Internet requirements flash, browser ,yahoo messenger standards etc keep changing. I haven't spoken to MU as I like having full control of TEENpup and what goes in to it.

I showed a teenager friend of my niece the games I plan to include in TEENpup 2010 Mini and he laughed at how old they looked. He wasn't being rude, it was just a natural reaction to someone use to Playstation, Xbox etc who have only experienced the latest 3D real to life graphics. To him it was like most 40 year olds would react at looking at the old late 70's games that were around.

This has got me thinking that it may be better to include more useful Apps and reduce the number of games included.

omskates

#20 Post by omskates »

My 11yo daughter and 7yo son play Wii games (and GameCube) but still go crazy about those little games. Hexahop in particular, chess, solitaire. Maybe a pet or sfs TPM2010 game pack as a seperate option? Looking forward to seeing the release!