Make Muppy's "running low" alarm less annoying/more useful

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
otropogo

Make Muppy's "running low" alarm less annoying/more useful

#1 Post by otropogo »

I'm getting tired of turning off the "less than 100MB" alarm, especially since I can't do anything about it until reboot. I'm wondering whether there's a way the user can modify this alarm?

The ideal for me would be the ability to convert it to a resizable, movable blinking icon displaying the amount of memory free, and with a user-configurable threshhold.

I honestly don't think there's any value in Muppy interrupting me every time my available storage dips to 97MB.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

edit the file:
/usr/sbin/calcfreespace-muppy.sh

Line 53:

Code: Select all

allowedmb=100
You can set other values here.
Use it at own risk!!!

The forum shows, that people often ignore when Puppys freememapplet turns red.
Then they fill up their savefile, because a program suddenly needs a lot of space.
E.g. installing a pet can need a lot more space, than the downloaded size.
As a consequence, they can no longer boot their system.

For that reason I used this "annoying" solution in Muppy.
It really should be taken serious :!:

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

otropogo

#3 Post by otropogo »

MU wrote:edit the file:
/usr/sbin/calcfreespace-muppy.sh

Line 53:

Code: Select all

allowedmb=100
Thanks Mark.

MU wrote:The forum shows, that people often ignore when Puppys freememapplet turns red.
Then they fill up their savefile, because a program suddenly needs a lot of space.
E.g. installing a pet can need a lot more space, than the downloaded size.
As a consequence, they can no longer boot their system.
But surely the proper solution is for the storage space required by the pet to be shown. Better yet, for petget to warn the user how much space he needs, and how much he actually has.

I have nothing against alarms. Quite the contrary, I'm a bit of a measurement freak. But alarms that stop you from working get turned off....

Here's my suggestion for a better alarm:

1. resizeable, recolourable (maybe like the huge selection of clock faces available in Muppy), movable

2. display the remaining space digitally and as pie chart

3. option to stay on desktop as long as chosen alarm condition exists

4. blinking option, with user able to set initial rate, and the rate of acceleration as space shortage worsens

5. option to open an interface to change the alarm threshhold

It seems strange that most of these options are available for largely cosmetic desklets, like the clock, but not for something essential.

The current alarm blocks too much of the desktop, takes up too much of the taskbar, has to be repeatedly closed, and it's ugly!

I agree absolutely that users need to be warned. But there's no need to put them in chains or to nag them into compliance...