Thinkpad 600E mwave modem problem (solved)

vtpup

#30 Post by vtpup »

Okay I believe I've solved it for Puppy's automatic bootup installation.

The problem seems to be in the mwavem executable file packaged with Puppy 3.01.

It looks to be the same executable file as mwavem packaged into the DotPup: mwave-2.0-ACP-modem.pup except that it is a "stripped" version.

If you do a properties on each of the two versions, the 3.01 Puppy version is 499088 Bytes long, and the DotPup version is 567305 bytes long. And from the descriptions, both are the same program version except for the stripping.

I found that if I renamed the Puppy 3.01 (stripped) version /usr/bin/mwavem to something else, so it wouldn't load, and then copied the DotPup (not stripped) version to /usr/bin/mwavem, then Puppy starts up automagically with mwavemodem module loaded and running and the tp600e modem fully functional.

I think that was what was intended.

Hope this helps -- possibly with versions of Puppy other than 3.01, as well.

Best Regards
Steve
Last edited by vtpup on Sun 19 Oct 2008, 01:14, edited 2 times in total.

vtpup

#31 Post by vtpup »

BarryK wrote: Look in /etc/init.d
/etc/rc.d/rc.services runs these at startup. (puppy 4.1)
Oh hello Barry, our posts seem to have been written simultaneously.

Yes you do have automatic loading, but the stripped mwavem executable (bundled with Puppy 3.01 -- the version I have) is flawed and fails to run when called by mwaved in your boot loader.

I'm guessing this is true of other versions of Puppy besides 3.01, where the mwave modem program also doesn't work.

The executable version of mwavem available in the DotPup mentioned earlier (not stripped) does work with your mwaved script.