help tweaking wbar?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
smiler82

help tweaking wbar?

#1 Post by smiler82 »

Hello, thanks for a great community! I've been lurking for a while and I'm ready for a post...

I am setting up a Macpup install (very slick!) for an elderly neighbor on an old PIII machine. I've been able to cut down the available options on the wbar launcher but I have a few issues yet.

One is I set my neighbor up with a gmail account, and I'd like the mail icon to open Seamonkey and send her to the gmail page. How do I set a web address as the path?

Second is I'd like the 'file' icon to send her right to 'my-documents' instead of the root folder. For some reason the path /root/my-documents/ doesn't get me there.

To be quite honest, I see Puppy as an excellent way to get the 'Grandma' types into computers and the internet without the ususal Windows fuss...

Any ideas?

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Smiler!

Just for playing around I decided to try this out for myself as if this indeed worked it would prove handy for myself in the future as well. :)

And it worked flawlessly!

For SeaMonkey all you need do, if they use the browser to write their email at GMail, is to open the .wbar file and after the exec command for SeaMonkey you would write the URL to GMail. (Sorry, I don't know the address.)

It would look like what I've done here below only for my Space website:

Code: Select all

c: seamonkey http://www.space.com/
Notice where I wrote that? It was after the "C" and not after the "T". The "c" in there means "command" or "exec" while the "t" means "text to show on mouseover". ;)

Then you'd move down to what you have for ROX and write this:

Code: Select all

c: rox /root/my-documents
Now you'd save your .wbar file, then next just along on the outside rim of your Wbar (wherever it is showing on your monitor) you would do one "right-click". This restarts Wbar with the new settings you've just given it, see? So now when you click on your icons the URLs you've placed in there *should work*.

Like I said, they did for me. And this is rather handy!

I hope this helped?

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

smiler82

#3 Post by smiler82 »

ah I see. I tried this, but I used the path to the program and then the site address.

are there different versions of wbar? I didn't think I could simply add in the program name....

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Smiler! :)

To the best of my knowledge---and I could be wrong---it's mainly version 1.3.3 of Wbar that's used around here in Puppy. It's just that some configure it differently and write in the complete $PATH (pathway) to the binfile ("exe" in Windows terms) while others don't. They may be writing in the $PATH because the programming they're trying to call up lies outside of what's considered the "normal Linux $PATH", but who knows? Yet for mine, mine all rest in "/usr/bin", or have links there, so I don't need anything other than the programme's name to start it up. :)

I hope that helped somewhat?

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*