Puppy Linux Developer's Edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
SirDuncan

#31 Post by SirDuncan »

I've only had a brief chance to work with it, but here's what I've found. First, Pfind must "install" before it can be used. I have no idea what that's about. Second, NetBeans can't actually be used unless you install Java, so to someone that doesn't know what NetBeans is it would appear to be broken if they tried to run it. You should probably have a link to a Java package in the same post the link to the download along with a warning that Java is needed.

Python, GCC, and CodeBlocks seemed to be working without any problems. I'll give it a more thorough test when my next programming project is assigned.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

polymath

#32 Post by polymath »

Java is installed in the directory /java, but that directory is nonstandard so you need to do some modding.

I found the netbeans bug but was unaware of the other bugs. Thanks. I've fixed the problem for netbeans (a defective netbeans.desktop file), and i'm also adding the following aplications, though i'm not sure if everyone wants them. I'm wondering if these packages would be any help.

Packages:
php-5.3.0alpha2
mysql-5.0.67 with mysql-administrator-5.0
git-1.6.0.2

As for the first two i have NEVER used these with linux (only windows), and i suck at compiling crap from source (which i did for these), but i have made them none-the-less. I WILL need help configuring these packages (I currently have a puppy-unleashed system where i have extra files that are added in to the rootfs right before the sfs is built), so i'm wondering if they're worth the pain and effort. They are currently not included.

For you, Duncan, you can change these two files:

Change the contents of netbeans-*.desktop to this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=NetBeans IDE
Exec=/netbeans/bin/nbstart
Icon=/netbeans/nb6.5/netbeans.png
Categories=IDE
Version=1.0
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Terminal=0
Then create a new bash script in /netbeans/bin called nbstart
(no extension) with the following contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/netbeans/bin/netbeans --jdkhome /java --userdir /root/my-documents/netbeans
You should be good.
Last edited by polymath on Wed 24 Sep 2008, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

alcy

#33 Post by alcy »

SirDuncan wrote:First, Pfind must "install" before it can be used. I have no idea what that's about.
I guess that's normal behavior on Dingo, not just this puppy derivative.
I have seen that message pop up a few times.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#34 Post by Lobster »

php-5.3.0alpha2
mysql-5.0.67 with mysql-administrator-5.0
Both these will be very useful in 4.1 which includes the Hiawatha Server.
I really hope you continue with this and perhaps move towards an SFS.

Long term it is very important to encourage programmers :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

polymath

#35 Post by polymath »

SFS for mysql and php:

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-07-to-12 ... nsions.sfs

http://www.badongo.com/file/11482694 --you'll need to do some clicking

please post fixes, i'm not sure how to configure for it to work.

polymath

#36 Post by polymath »

Test homepage for now:

http://develpup.110mb.com

Great free hosting, and lots of space, but a small file upload limit, so it'd only be good for small expansions (i'd need 20 .part files to fill up the current state of develpup).

Has anyone tested the .sfs of mysql/php? I can't even attempt to try and configure it, it was hard enough with windows, which has a GUI for EVERYTHING.

polymath

#37 Post by polymath »

S**T!

I lost my entire puppy-unleashed partition! I'll need to start from scratch ... I guess this'll force me to move over to the 4.1 beta unleashed - scratch that, they haven't come out with that yet... oh, how stupid am I! Anyway, i'm wondering, for the new browser, i'll probably ditch firefox 3, it's way too buggy in puppy. I'll either regress to firefox 2, seamonkey, or another web browser, but i don't know which, so i'm taking suggestions.

Anyway...

I still haven't heard about the sfs extension, has anyone tried it yet?

I'll probably go all-out on the next iso, so it'll probably be a few weeks before i finish tweaking the file. Anyway, i've learned... a whole lot. I'll probably post a .tar.gz of my unleashed system and post it on the 'net for anyone who wants to help, and as a backup for me, stupid...

All hope is not lost. I'll work at it.

dack

#38 Post by dack »

I think code::blocks have a bug,the window can not dock.when you debug program,that's a trouble.if you open a watches window and a call stack window, you only see one at same time and if you want see another,you must close it and reopen.
code::blocks in windows can dock at main widow,and can see all windows when they are floating.

could you fix it?