Multi-User Puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
legendofthor

Multi-User Puppy

#1 Post by legendofthor »

G'day,
yes this topic has been done to death - but I need people's ideas.
I'd never thought about going back to 'login as another user' like spot but something has cropped up to change my mind.

I have just started a LUG in my my home town - now this LUG, from the off, is going to be very community minded - one of it's primary missions is to:
1. Recondition old computers that even Lifeline just chucks in the bin (everything under 700MHz) and give to charities.
2. On these computer have a customised locally flavoured version of Linux

Now with 15 years of working for charity organisations; I know what sort of treatment they will get - the charity will hand over the use of old computers to their clients. IF I HAD A DOLLAR FOR THE NUMBER OF TIMES I HAD TO RE-INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM.....

So to complete this mission we need an Operating System that works well on old computers (Puppy) and a restricted use of said OS - this way we get community exposure through "doing something" not just blabbing.

So it comes down to restricted use - having an XDM login that allows the user to login as Spot - as you can see I'm not advocating multi-user - spot is enough!

Puppy has spot; yet it is not a "user-transparent" or "Ready to be implemented" technology. - Paul Pilzer's Economic Alchemy.

What I would like to see as part of the core Puppy system is a way to implement Spot for people who need non-root or restricted access. For example: Cedega and Icecast refuse to work as root or as login spot if X is root.
Cheers
Martin

Please don't post links as I have scanned the Puppy Forums for the past few days and have 20+ related posts. I can post them if you wish.
Toowoomba Linux Users Group [url]http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux[/url]

Pizzasgood

Re: Multi-User Puppy

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

legendofthor wrote:Please don't post links as I have scanned the Puppy Forums for the past few days and have 20+ related posts. I can post them if you wish.
Okay. Don't worry, I won't post THIS link, to a true working ready-to-be-downloaded MULTIUSER PUPPY.

No, I'll just refrain from posting it and be silent. Yup. You ain't getting nothing out of me!

(However, that link I didn't post doesn't address XDM. Sorry. If you can't sort it out yourself, let me know.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

legendofthor

#3 Post by legendofthor »

Oops! thx for the link haha!
However, I have tested many types of Puppy and found 4.2 to be slow, nearly too slow. We are aiming for 2 series - I am V interested to see how you achieved your results.
Cheers
Martin
PS: I put in the no links as there are many posts with many links regarding this topic. I don't want this to become "Oh! just another anti-root, or pro-root" rant. Stay focussed people there was no innuendo intended!
Toowoomba Linux Users Group [url]http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux[/url]