Puppy can't mount sda1-SOLVED!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
RuInthemoment

Puppy can't mount sda1-SOLVED!

#1 Post by RuInthemoment »

I installed ubuntu but didn't set up partitions. My computer guy configured everything (but also didn't set up partions due to time constrains) A month later my computer started freezing, taking several minute to start up and also taking several minutes to open pages using Mozilla. All updates were current but it didn't help. I noticed a newer version was available and install it myself (i thought it would be just like updating, big mistake) thereby losing all the extra information my computer guy had put in to. So needless to say I have to back up my data and give him my computer to him to fix what I did. I'd like to fix as much as possible myself to save money so here's my dilemma.

I was using an external hardware which got disconnectdurst the exact moment you could click F2 and I got a black screen with error messages, code required etc. My computer guy gave me puppy to go in and try and access my files but puppy can't mount sda1.

I really messed this up and need help recovering my files but please respond in laymens terms if you have the patients to respond
Last edited by RuInthemoment on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

DM was on fire!

#2 Post by DM was on fire! »

What's the message, if any, that Puppy is giving you when you try to mount sda1? Usually it gives you a warning (such as the one that says Puppy will mount your system in read-only if Windows is in hibernate) when you click on the drive icon.

If Puppy is not giving you a message and is mounting it, but there is nothing in sda1, it could be very possible something is very wrong with your hard drive.

RuInthemoment

Error message

#3 Post by RuInthemoment »

When I click on the mount icon the Pmount Puppy mounted mounted window pops up. I have 1 choice which is sda1 ext4 289.4G. I click the mount button beside it and a little red box appears in about 45sec stating ERROR: unable to mount sda1. I'm getting a bad feeling about this. I did a little research and maybe puppy 5.1 will work. I currently have puppy 4.3.1

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Running Puppy Linux
Run the program Gparted. In menu>system
This is a partition manager that hopefully can see your drive.
Right mouse click on drive sda1.
select check.
Select apply at top of window.
This will check and correct any file structure errors.
This could be your problem.
Attachments
gparted.png
gparted
(45.68 KiB) Downloaded 1487 times

RuInthemoment

Hoarded approach

#5 Post by RuInthemoment »

Ok I'm at the point of hitting apply and the warning to back up data appeared. Have you experienced loss of data by doing this?

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

I've never had any trouble result from doing the above, but....

1. I normally ALWAYS have various backups anyway.
e.g.
A Puppy->Pudd image backup of [the contents of] important partitions.
AND...
An Xfe ["X File Explorer"] copy of the folder/file contents.
AND...
A sequence of snap2 snapshots [takes little time and space for the latest increment].

2. Pudd doesn't need the filesystem fixed prior to backup [so Pudd is the one you need to use], whereas Xfe & snap2 do.

bigpup

Re: Hoarded approach

#7 Post by bigpup »

RuInthemoment wrote:Ok I'm at the point of hitting apply and the warning to back up data appeared. Have you experienced loss of data by doing this?
This is the keep from getting dragged into court protection statement for the program developer. You say it does not access, so what could it do to make things worse? I have never had a problem using this.

RuInthemoment

Low on backup space

#8 Post by RuInthemoment »

Unfortunately I only have access to a 40G external harddrive which says the destination drive is too small. The source /dev/sda is 312571224 kbytes but the destination /dev/sdb is 39070080 kbytes. If I could access just the files I need to copy there isn't that much but operating system information is lumped in there too from a previous backup that I was in the process of separatihenry files from it when this all went down.

Moment of truth. What will come up once I click apply if data isn't lost

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Moment of truth. What will come up once I click apply if data isn't lost
It will do a structural check of the sda1 file system. If it finds anything wrong, it will try to repair it. If it can not be repaired, it should give some info on what it finds.
You could also try this program;
You will have to download it and install into Puppy to use.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28453

RuInthemoment

Operation complete successfully

#10 Post by RuInthemoment »

Ok now there is a green dot on the sda1 when I open it I don't recognize any of the files. How do I do a search for my documents and photo etc.

Hold the phone I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever you are you sooooooo ROCK!!!!!!!

Consider this your random act of kindness for a year. Thank you for saving my sanity.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Yes, you must be smarter then the equipment you operate!
That is what we always say around here, and computers are my friend!
Glade to hear it worked for you.
Not sure what version of Puppy you are using but in menu>filesystem should be some kind of file find program.
Now to really use Puppy read this on ways to install Puppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

If this solved the problem, go to the tittle post and edit to the subject solved.
Others may be helped by this solution.

RuInthemoment

#13 Post by RuInthemoment »

I was given a disk with puppy 4.3.1 on it to use for this purpose. Previously I had vista which I ran into problems so I installed ubuntu 5.1 I think which was configured by a friend but partition were not set up (which he would have had he done the initial download)

That said in a state of frustration I took the liberty of downloading ubuntu 10 thinking it would be a smooth transition. Well you know how that went. In a nutshell I don't do much more on my computer than the average Joe is track personal expenses, social networking, banking and most portantly store photos and videos of my 5yr old son.

I'm intrigued by all that you can do with computers and like in the days of the blinking clock on the VCR I have some confidence to learn how to make things work to theier maximum abilities.

I'll check out the link

Not sure what part of the world you're in but listen for a huge Yipee coming out of the Canadian east coast in about 5mins when I finish backing up my data.

Sylvander

#14 Post by Sylvander »

If you want to see a really nice file explorer in action...

Install Fox-Library & Xfe.

Xfe is one of the best discoveries I ever made. :D

I can still be amazed watching it doing stuff. 8)

It can be used to EASILY and quickly copy [to backup] the folder/file contents of a partition [or whatever].
[Then delete the originals and copy them back (to restore?) and the restored items will be PERFECTLY defragmented!]
And various other such things.
e.g.
You can click this icon or that to display any combination of folder hierarchy pane plus 1 or 2 file panes.
With this filepane or that as the focus [1st the source, then the destination], you use the folder pane to navigate to and choose some folder.
Then...
You highlight folder/file items in one of the filepanes [the source] and right-click and choose/click copy or move, and you are offered the other pane as default destination.
Click OK, and watch the process in action.
SUPERB!

PUPPY IS AN ADVENTURE! :D 8)