installing openoffice.sfs on puppeee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fishvetmj

installing openoffice.sfs on puppeee

#1 Post by fishvetmj »

Hi. I'm a Puppy linux user, and am currently testing puppeee on my eeepc 4G. Love it, except I can't get openoffice.sfs to work properly. I've downloaded openoffice sfs file to /mnt/home, renamed it openoffice_301-eee.sfs, and created links from the desktop to open the writer, calc and impress applications, which works fine when I manually mount openoffice.sfs each time I boot in. However, when I try to get puppeee to mount openoffice automatically on startup using the Bootmanager configure bootup feature in the system menu, the icons on the desktop disappear on startup, and clicking on the openoffice.sfs file brings up the message: "sorry /mnt/home/openoffice_301-eee.sfs is already mounted and in use by puppy". There seems to be no way to open any of the openoffice applications when this happens? Help please???? It works fine on my full sized laptop! Fishvetmj

technosaurus

#2 Post by technosaurus »

in order to fix your links is find where the executables get mounted to after the sfs module is mounted - probably /usr/bin

most likely you just need to remove the mount location part

to avoid having to sort through all of the other programs though you can manually mount it and see the familiar linux file structure - this basically becomes an overlay (merged) with the rest of the filesystem

for example /initrd/mnt/sfsfile/usr/bin/exec ----- would be /usr/bin/exec

sorry if this explanation is clear as mud - I remastered mine after installing the sfs and don't have any to test at the moment

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Because I seldom use OOffice, I have no need to have it mounted by the bootmanager, so instead I've saved it as oo.sfs, in a directory /mnt/home/sfs. When I want to use swriter, I have script called swriter, which I've symlinked to /usr/bin, which just has:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
mount -o loop /mnt/home/sfs/oo.sfs /mnt/home/sfs/oo
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP="gnome"
/mnt/home/sfs/oo/program/swriter
umount /mnt/home/sfs/oo
This mounts the .sfs on /mnt/home/sfs/oo, runs the real swriter, then closes it down, & unmounts oo.sfs, when finished. You would need to modify the second last line, so that it actually points to the location of swriter in your own mounted .sfs.

Creating an appropriate /usr/share/applications/swriter.desktop file for the swriter script, and adding an icon, is easy. Just open the .desktop file for leafpad, in a text editor, to get an idea of how to do this.

Same procedure can be modified for simpress, sdraw, scalc etc.