What's the command to install pet package in terminal?

Booting, installing, newbie
NoNameAmI

What's the command to install pet package in terminal?

#1 Post by NoNameAmI »

I've been searching and searching without any result (no info found anywhere). I've asked a number of people in the IRC channel, nobody ever responded (guess they didn't know as they continued to respond to others questions).

So, can someone tell me the commands to install and remove pet packages in a terminal? I need to know because I am making a script for my own uses and need to install some pet packages. I want to know how to remove them also in case I need to know that also.

Thank you to anyone who can answer this for me.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Search no more!

See Here

You rename the .pet to .tar.gz, extract and install from there.

Not sure how you would uninstall.

EDIT:
Just found this!
open a terminal and type:
geany /usr/sbin/petget

Read the top of the script for clues.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

NoNameAmI

#3 Post by NoNameAmI »

The following doesn't work:

petget packagename.pet
petget + packagename.pet
petget +packagename.pet

Errors received each time (trying to install alltray):
/usr/sbin/petget: line 1287: 28499 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Processing, please wait..."
/usr/sbin/petget: line 1395: 28533 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "PETget package manager
Processing, please wait..."
The package never installs.
Last edited by NoNameAmI on Wed 03 Sep 2008, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

NoNameAmI

#4 Post by NoNameAmI »

Anyone?

NoNameAmI

#5 Post by NoNameAmI »

It's hard to believe that the installing of a pet is so easy that nobody knows how to install it on the console.

Devs? Maybe a dev can clear this up? If there isn't a way to install a pet from a console without GUI then there needs to be a way. If there is a way, I would highly appreciate knowing.

Thank you.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

NoNameAmI wrote:It's hard to believe that the installing of a pet is so easy that nobody knows how to install it on the console.
Of course people know, there is no reason to make this assertion.

I recently wrote a post on how to do it. Then I deleted it. You can't read it, because I deleted it, sorry.

You can however read a post by me, that is already linked to in this topic. If you will read it carefully, then come back with questions that are not already answered in what I've already written, I'd be more inclined to help you.

NoNameAmI

#7 Post by NoNameAmI »

Of course people know, there is no reason to make this assertion.

I recently wrote a post on how to do it. Then I deleted it. You can't read it, because I deleted it, sorry.

You can however read a post by me, that is already linked to in this topic. If you will read it carefully, then come back with questions that are not already answered in what I've already written, I'd be more inclined to help you.
If you are speaking of the post here... that does not answer my question. My question basically was "...can someone tell me the commands to install and remove pet packages in a terminal?" That shows a way to install a package but it is not what I was asking. I was asking how to install a pet package properly and basically get registered with the package manager. I don't want to circumvent the package manager.

On a distro like Ubuntu, the command would be dpkg -i packagename.deb

As of last time I used Zenwalk linux, their command was installpkg packagename.tgz

So what would be the command to use in Puppy? I'm pretty sure there is a command or script or something to do this. If there isn't, then this issue needs to be addressed.

Thank you.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

My impression was that you want to write a script. Here is the key paragraph I've been working from in an attempt to understand. How would you interpret it?
So, can someone tell me the commands to install and remove pet packages in a terminal? I need to know because I am making a script for my own uses and need to install some pet packages. I want to know how to remove them also in case I need to know that also.
While it wasn't specified, I thought you wanted the script to be text based, meaning no dependency on X. Is this correct?

NoNameAmI

#9 Post by NoNameAmI »

While it wasn't specified, I thought you wanted the script to be text based, meaning no dependency on X. Is this correct?
The script I want to make may or may not be console only based. I haven't decided. The main purpose of the script however is to take a set of pet packages and install each one after another. I want each pet package to be installed basically as if it were "clicked on". It needs to register with the package manager so that in the future it can be removed if needed.

The reason I say I haven't decided on needing X or not... I'm looking into options for a gui based script as I find it an interesting concept. However, I would still need to know the proper command to install pet packages so as not to circumvent the package manager.

Yes the way you specified will work, but it doesn't seem like it would register with the package manager so it can be removed from the package manager gui.

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

A lot of packaging systems have console based installs. With those you could just make a simple script using a loop to install many packages with one enter key press. These packaging systems typically also have GUI interfaces.

I could be wrong, but with Puppy I don't think there is a pure console based installer, let alone one that registers the install. That's why your willingness to have X is a factor.

I would recommend taking what is already written and modify it to do what you want. In this case for personal use, it might be easier to just write a complete install script. The only part I see that requires thought is registering the packages.

Figuring that most packages won't get uninstalled, the uninstall script can be written later. In the meantime use the existing GUI for that purpose.

My main concern is package consistency. This might be a problem more with the .pup packages, because they could be packaged a variety of ways, yet still have the same extension.

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

NoNameAmI,

rather than re-inventing the wheel, maybe have a look at this thread