Vote: Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Promote Puppy !

Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Yes, I exclusively use Puppy Linux
32%
Yes, I exclusively use Puppy and other Linux(es)
20%
No, I mainly use Linux but keep Windows around
34%
No, I use Linux but also use Windows a lot
14%

Total votes: 91

benali72

Vote: Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

#1 Post by benali72 »

Please vote on whether you use: Puppy only, Puppy plus other Linux distro(s), mainly Linux with some Windows, or both Linux and Windows.

If you keep Windows around to run a specific application or for a particular reason, please explain.

ozsouth

Only Puppy now

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Since my last win7 hdd failed, I only put Puppy (Tahr6.0 & Xslacko3.1) on my replacement hdd. Previously dual-booted.

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

I use exclusively puppy linux but sometimes I do experiments with other distros. I rarely boot windows 7: once in a year perhaps.

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

I'd love to go Linux full-time, but I'm a musician by trade, and there are a number of applications (equipment interface/patch editors/librarians and DAW) that I regularly use and rely on that require Windows. These are "mission critical" applications for me, so I really have no interest in trying to sort through bugs or - worse - data loss/corruption, in attempting to get these applications working in Wine or the like. I revert to Linux for fun, and most everything else. :) Probably split my time about evenly between Windows (XP or 7) and Linux (Puppy and Mint 17.1, ATM). Right tools for the job!

Bob

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

" but I'm a musician by trade "

Never tried any versions of Puppy Studio etc?

Plenty of freebies.

Chris.

LeithR

#6 Post by LeithR »

I have used Linux exclusively since retiring 4 years ago. Before that I used M$W for business and Linux for fun. So much happier with Linux!

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

cthisbear wrote:Never tried any versions of Puppy Studio etc?
Oh, sure - Puppy Studio, Ubuntu Studio, Battleshooter's audio apps for Carolina Puppy - even scouring the forum for audio DAW apps for setting up my Precise Puppy for all things audio - all good stuff! But it's the specific equipment interface software that I need to use, and it's not available for Linux, unfortunately. And I'm gettin' too old/memory-corrupt to entirely re-learn a new Linux-based DAW, anyhow. :lol:

Bob

LazY Puppy

#8 Post by LazY Puppy »

I have access to four (4) Desktop Computers where two of them are my own Computers and another one is the Computer of my Girlfriend.

On my own computers and on my Girlfriend's computer there is Puppy Linux exclusively installed (USB HDs & USB Flash Drives) and used.

The 4th Computer still has WinXP installed and this is only used for 16 track audio recording (simultaneously), which can't be done in Linux!

Also I'd tried some different Linux distributions but none of them gave me the fun of Puppy Linux.

Won't miss it anymore!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Sailor Enceladus

#9 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Puppy almost exclusively, but I also have FreeDos. Since the bottom two options only said Winblows™ I voted the top option.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Mostly Puppy these days but that's only because I also have Windows 10 pre-installed on the machine (which I dislike because of all the popups and updates). XP Pro would have been my preferred choice if I still had it.

Trobin

#11 Post by Trobin »

Puppy Linux and windows vista. In al the years I have played with Puppy I have never succeeded in getting wireless to work. Not that stringing a cable across the floor is that much of a problem when I'm home alone. But with a 92 year old mother I'll keep windows around.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

festus

#12 Post by festus »

My entire family Uses ONLY Puppy Linux:

lxpup-15.11.4-s-pae, lxpuptahr-15.12.1-pae and X-slacko-4.0

All are frugal installs and very good Pups.

If it wasn't for Linux, particularly Puppy, I would not use a computer.

Thank you, to the developers of the Puppy spins.

festus :)

Keisha

#13 Post by Keisha »

Fedora-23 (in its Korora-23-xfce4 guise) as the daily driver.

For quicker administration, where switching between root and non-root would be a hassle, usually TahrPup.

I haven't used Windows since xp sp3. But then, all I do is browsing, letters, the occasional spreadsheet, and email.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

starhawk

#14 Post by starhawk »

I use Puppy essentially exclusively. I have a Windows box for graphics stuff, but I haven't used it since before last Christmas. I've also been contemplating (for a couple months now) a closer examination of Linux Mint... but I never seem to get around to installing it, lol.

So I checked the box for "I use Puppy exclusively" since that's what I'm doing right now.

benali72

Puppy + other distros = Love!

#15 Post by benali72 »

I install Puppy on ALL systems to control the boot menu and for admin tasks. For the cost of only a gig on disk you get a fine admin system. I pick up and give computers to charity and use Puppy for all testing and config work.

For my personal daily stuff, I use Linux Mint (version 17 with xfce).

I keep one box capable of dual-booting into Win 7 in case I ever need it for compatibility purposes... but that's never happened yet! :lol:

So I voted for Option 2 (Puppy plus other distros).

I must add -- I don't use Puppy on a daily basis, but wow, I am so thankful to have it for computer configuration & administration. Thank you Barry and all Puppians!

Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

Bit difficult to not use Windows at the office.

Also doing hardware and software support for other people requires many different machine configurations and unfortunately Puppy doesn't feature high on the list.

I always try to leave a copy of Puppy on machines that I support - often "hidden" amongst my support files that the client is expected to leave alone.
If I think thy may possibly fiddle I leave a less hidden version for them to "find". That has led to a couple of "I've heard about this friendly version of Linux........"

And of course there is always the "What OS are you using to recover my files?"
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

peterw

Favourite is Puppy

#17 Post by peterw »

Hi

Just adding my reasons for voting as I have. I use various versions of Puppy and they are my favourite systems. However, there are other boxes running Mythbuntu which have proved very reliable My wife uses a Chromebook which does all she wants and she does not get into difficulty with it which is a result. I generally dual boot my machines with various distros.

Now the confession. I have an old laptop that has Vista on it. There are some occasions when you need Windows. For instance when you want to restore a "broken" SDHC card and since they have built in DRM the contents of which are not public you sometimes need a Windows or Mac system. Also, I have been "playing" with Android phones and whilst you can go a long way with Linux there are some procedures that are set out exclusively for a Windows system and rather than risk bricking the phone I have taken the cowards way out and used my copy of Vista.

peterw

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

When I get fed up with Puppy (it happens every once and while), I use PCLinuxOS.
I have no WhineDose on my active machine.

Surprised but happy to see Linuxes hovering at around 50 % in the poll.
We've come a long way! Let's keep this up!

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

I'm clean now! 8)

So, strictly Linux for me, some Debian, but usually Puppy. :D

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

puppyluvr

#20 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I can't say Puppy exclusively, because I use Debiandog.
And Quirky.. And Mintpup..
But other than that...
8 years...
My only use for Windoze is to be familiar with all the versions, if I need to help someone.
So I have all versions bootable, but rarely booted, and NEVER connected to the net.
My sig says it all...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...