D-link G122 A1 - almost there..

Bikerbob

#16 Post by Bikerbob »

Tempestuous - I think in the Dmesg it even suggested I use irqpoll.. though at the time I had no idea what that was.

So should I try these in the order you have them listed.. or if Dmesg suggested irqpoll go with that first?

James

It would be better practice to use a different boot parameter which affects resource handling without totally disabling ACPI, such as -
pci=biosirq
acpi=noirq
acpi=strict
pci=nosort
irqpoll
routeirq

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

Sure, try irqpoll first. Like many setup issues in Linux these things seem to require 10% science and 90% experimentation.
I would try this first

Code: Select all

puppy irqpoll
then try this (at forum member slvrldy17's suggestion)

puppy irqpoll routeirq
then this

puppy pci=biosirq

Bikerbob

#18 Post by Bikerbob »

OK, well I have not been successful getting this to work on the Abit board desktop. NF7-S.

Nothing I have tried so far has been able to get this working.

SO I moved to the laptop.

Once I copied the firmware to the directory, the interface worked.. and was added on startup.

Now with the laptop I am in the same spot as many with a wifi. I can get it up. The first time I try and configure it I can see networks... but I cannot connect, I am using WEP and an ASCII key also after the first try I cannot see the networks anymore. Trying to input the network information with a gui program does not work either. I have not tried command line yet.. not sure how.

iwconfig shows..

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"INLAKE"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:46:BD:DD:BC
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

My Dmesg is attached.

Thanks

James
Attachments
dmesg.txt.gz
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

During the setup phase you should try manual configuration commands.
See "How to configure wifi from the commandline"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469
It's a good idea to disable ALL encryption at the router during initial testing.
If your wifi connection is successful, then re-enable encryption and try again.

If connection fails, you could try the newer version of firmware from
http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/p54
Yours is under "USB 1st generation" click on the "wireless testing" link.

Bikerbob

#20 Post by Bikerbob »

Re: my mb on the desktop.

This is weird. I have always considered this, and read many reviews that say this is a top notch board.

BUt...

I am having troubles like I have never experienced anywhere when its comes to IO on this and Linux..

Hate to say it.. but XP boots and runs all usb items flawless.

ON this machine I am trying to use.. a wireless keyboard and mouse. I can plug via ps2 ports for both (keyboard using a usb to ps2) or keyboard in usb.

a memory card reader stick - I am using this for storage of the puppy save etc.. so I can take a CD and the stick and use it anywhere. (OR thats the plan)

and the DWL-G122 dongle - which was also to go with me.. just in case I needed wifi where ever I was - you get the idea.

When I boot 4.0.6 with the CD no save file.. I get to the desktop through all the keyboard and Xorg questions NP.

The Dongle does not load because 4.0.6 does not have the firmware built in..

I then copy the firmware over from the mem stick and shut down with a save file on the mem stick.

When I re-boot I get only to the point of initizaling the devices and it hangs on the keyboard and mouse.

THe ONLY thing I did was install the firmware.. so I must assume it installs the dongle first.. then gets to the keyboard.

I have tried engaging the mouse (wiggling) when booting.. and it will sometimes get past with a disabling IRQ msg. NO Xwindows and no command prompt, but I am still in puppy.

WHY is this board having so many IO issues.. only with Puppy and this Dongle.. it would seem.

If I do this all.. with no dongle at all.. it works fine.

James