New Puplet - Boxpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Puppy Dog

#31 Post by Puppy Dog »

Smart apps,Puppy 4,Opera,flash--a Bases Loaded Grand Slam Home Run !

Hot Dog ---- with mustard and relish.

Thanks Gray :D
"Best In Show"

geneven

Boxpup

#32 Post by geneven »

This is an enjoyable Puppy variant, and it might win a permanent spot on the usb drive I reserve for Puppy, assuming I can get it to work properly with my BCM43xx wireless. Thanks!

Henry

Boxpup/Nop

#33 Post by Henry »

Hello, Gray,

As usual, you've been quietly productive! Nice job, and I'm glad to see you kept the user friendly Thunar file manager. Is Boxpup simply an alternative to Nop with XFCE or intended as its successor?

I have used Nop from its earliest to its latest version 400-NOP-r1. No complaints! And you've helped amazingly along the way. Thanks!

I have of course tried the latest Boxpup with pfix=ram, but have been unable to actually compare with Nop, since I cannot "upgrade" from my .2fs of Nop. I get an empty screen with a cursor and no way out. Yes, I've avoided mixing up the different 400.sfs hiles.

(Nor can I upgrade to Barry's latest from the .2fs of Nop. "No pinboard, etc.")

Now here's my question - I assume/ hope that there will be a new Nop (as before) shortly after the Barry's next v.4 release (whenever). Well, you probably can't answer that, but I thought I'd ask it anyway :-)

Barry's new baby is expected to have improvements, not least better stability and fewer whiteouts, using aufs. So I hope there will be a corresponding new Nop, or at least something as good that I can upgrade my present hard won configuration to.

Kind regards,
Henry

gray

puppysave upgrade

#34 Post by gray »

Henry, glad you like Boxpup. It is not meant to replace NOP, just a vehicle for having a puppy with the latest Abiword and Gnumeric and all their plugins. I have found the new Abiword very useable.

I am not surprised you cant upgrade a unionfs savefile. Boxpup uses Aufs, as does the new puppy 4.1. I have found that upgrading a union fs savefile to an Aufs puppy doesnt work.

I am indeed planning a NOP version of 4.1 and have already worked out how to use the new pup_event system to do desktop drive icons in xfce.

magerlab

#35 Post by magerlab »

boxpup is really my favorite puplet
work fine on my EEE pc ( i only use it without tint because it does not autohide)
but there are hotkeys in openbox!
Alt+TAb and Win+D do the job

and it's a choice for my desktop also

also if you plan a next NOP release, include opera shared with qt like in boxpup
it looks much better!

T_Hobbit

#36 Post by T_Hobbit »

How can I change the definitions of conky?
Where is the conky definition file (.conky_rc?)?

magerlab

#37 Post by magerlab »

look at the .xinitrc there are some lines to start apps at boot

conky -c /etc/conky/tin_rc_right &
conky -c /etc/conky/conkyrc &

T_Hobbit

#38 Post by T_Hobbit »

Done. Thanks!

wosifat

#39 Post by wosifat »

I saw somewhere on the boards where someone had taken boxpup and had made a puplet with graphic arts programs in it. I downloaded the file and tried to make a disc with Burniso2cd, and it said that the disc was good, but when I tried to reboot the computer to try out the puplet the computer just kept booting into Windows (haven't figured out how to repartition a HD with Windows still on it to install Puppy.) Upon going into to the file manager, the disc was empty.
Anyone know the name of that puplet?

sintot

#40 Post by sintot »

I have one little problem: With The Gimp that it's included, I can't install scripts (script-fu), but they work if I install the 4.2.6 pet package that's in the forum.

Thanks

Eastern Counties

#41 Post by Eastern Counties »

Does anybody know how to import an address book from Sylpheed-Claws to Opera - only thing in the way with Boxpup at the moment.
Thanks
John

sintot

#42 Post by sintot »

Hi:

I've also had a problem with Xine-ui: the subtitles for avi files were not working. Also, the OSD wasn't showing anything at all (for example, the dvb channels). When I launched it with xine --verbose, I saw some problems about the fonts. What I've done to have it working is: download the source of xine-lib, and copy the fonts under misc/fonts in /usr/share/xine/libxine1/fonts. After it, everything is working (I think this is a problem in the xine-ui package for every puppy, not only Boxpup).

Bye

oz123

removing Opera

#43 Post by oz123 »

Hi,
This is a really great pup. But I would like to ask how to remove opera and replace with Firefox?

I tried with PUP-BE-GONE, however it doesn't list opera in installed software..

wosifat

#44 Post by wosifat »

I don't like Opera much either, but I'm trying to get used to it. Browser recommendations anyone?
And two other questions:
- How do you get a Puppy shutdown button on the wbar? There's one in Macpup, but not in boxpup and I don't know how to put it on.
- Speaking of Macpup, anyone know how to get the buttons on the top left side of the window all Maclike? That was cool.

sertse

#45 Post by sertse »

Obvious question; but will there be a boxpup based on 4.1? :)

Re: Firefox.

Members have made FF3 pets, search the forums (I might edit with the link later.....).

However: I think tuxxxxx's firepup or firefox 2008 is worth including? They are quite light/low usage and caters those of us who can't live without FF...

peterzeke

Installed to harddrive, but Boxpup won't boot?

#46 Post by peterzeke »

Looking for help....

I've played with the Boxpup live-cd enough to decided to install it on my laptop harddrive. The installation goes smoothly, I choose to reboot, but instead of getting an initial puppy linux boot screen (grub menu?) I end up being at a command line that has "grub>".

How come it's not booting?

I haven't had this problem with the official puppy releases, but I've since encountered this issue with some of the puplets.

Thank you in advance,
Pete

eliza_a

pidgin not working

#47 Post by eliza_a »

Boxpup is beautiful and easy to use, I like it a lot - but I'm having one problem.

I downloaded and installed ttuuxxx's pidgin pet, which I've used on 3 or 4 pups already.

It seg faults on boxpup.

Has anyone seen this?

Does anyone have a work around?

Thanks in advance

Colonel Panic

#48 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. Just curious to know what the desktop calendar app is? I assume the clock is Xonclock but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Definitely a smart looking puplet anyway.

magerlab

#49 Post by magerlab »

calendar is conky
conky -c /etc/conky/rc_cal & this is a line from .xinirtc
i really love this puplet and use it most of all other puppies

may be there be a version based on puppy 4.1, hope

@gray:iihow do you think of pcmanFM as a replace for thunar and maybe lxappearance as gtk-settings tool

i also have some problems with pidgn( and ayytm) but only when have an icq account

it gives a strange message that pidgn dumped a core file
when i remove icq account it works fine
also it works fine if i manually remove this file
/root/.purple/blist
but it not the good way
so i use quitm for icq(with qt4 pet)
if you need it i'll post links from russian puppy site

Colonel Panic

#50 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, but I've had trouble getting conky to work in Dingo (maybe that should be another thread). I'll certainly use that option to create a calendar in my other distro though, it's a great idea.

Conky really impresses me as a program, the only thing it seems to lack is a PPP indicator which tells me whether or not my internet connection is functioning (I use gkrellm for that, or there are a couple of dockapps for the same purpose).