New Puplet - Boxpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
magerlab

#16 Post by magerlab »

may be it woul be better to use openbox autostart.sh to place apps on boot than xinirc?

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

Another winner, gray! This is the way Puppy should look. Opera - most people's favourite, releases the mammoth burden imposed by Barry's preference! Never could understand why he sticks with GXine when everyone knows it's bent, but Xine works! However, Gimp is a luxury, too far that mops up much of your savings on browser packages; make it a .pet option, with Fotox as standard. That would match with Abiword, the slim option for OOooooo.....
I can see scope to make this an ultra fast derivative to rival MeanPup.
Next would be sub-notebook ports.

sertse

#18 Post by sertse »

Long time lurker and irc chatter, but first time poster.

This is a really great puppy! Using it as my main USB OS. Only issue is there is no save to usb button here, but its minor since puppy does it periodically anyway.

sintot: I don't quite understand how to get stalonetray? I download the binary and then? Sorry if it sounds dumb.

Agreed on the point about Wbar, Wish there to pop up the Wbar when you hover over it, instead it it being hidden etc...

magerlab

#19 Post by magerlab »

I really like the look and the speed of Boxpup!
i think we also need to pick up some info here on tint config and stalonetray
and tips on setting up the fonts in opera

astrogreek

#20 Post by astrogreek »

Hi Gray,
I like Boxpup, it looks really nice! I have a few problems and suggestions.
1. If I change the global font size (and restart), Opera will start mostly outside the screen, with only a small corner of the program visible and no way to move it. The only way I found around this problem is to shutdown with Opera still open; at the next startup Opera will then be in a normal position.
2. Although I like the minimalistic approach, I don't like that the bar at the top (Tint iconbar?) has a fixed size, cannot be moved (or can it?), and essentially steals a lot of the available vertical screen area.
3. Wbar at the bottom takes some more vertical screen area. I have a widescreen laptop screen, and with the bars both at the top and bottom there is not much space left vertically. Is there a way to add or remove apps from this bar? Can it be set to autohide? (I found somewhere an option to autohide, but it did not work).

What I would prefer is some way to have only one bar, preferably at the bottom, where one can add and remove shortcuts to apps and folders (like quicklaunch in Windows), that also shows open windows. Also, I miss a volume button.

edit:
edit2:never mind!
Last edited by astrogreek on Fri 29 Aug 2008, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

sintot

#21 Post by sintot »

Sertse: Download the binary and put it somewhere in the path (por example, /usr/bin) then, edit .xinitrc and the config file.

Magerlab: I've tried to use autostart.sh, and it's not working

Astrogreek: Absvolume can be used with stalonetray or docker, and wbar can be configured to be where you want (but it doesn't autohide :-( )

magerlab

#22 Post by magerlab »

to use stalone tray do not forget to check "allow to run as a program" in properties - permissions of the file

i set wbar and tint upside down

is is possible to autohide tint?

i use stalonetray with -w -p options
Attachments
pupscreen-29Aug,181811.jpeg
boxpup with stalonetray( not yet localized into russian:)
(144.76 KiB) Downloaded 1099 times

astrogreek

#23 Post by astrogreek »

sintot wrote:Sertse: Download the binary and put it somewhere in the path (por example, /usr/bin) then, edit .xinitrc and the config file.
I too have problems, could you please explain in much greater detail? I managed to install it, I have a stalonetray application, which if I run it gives a small bar with an opera icon on it in the lower left corner). I can't find the config file stalonetrayrc, it doesn't exist.

edit:wait, you mean we create this file ourselves? I did that, now it works. But how does this thing actually work? Can I add shortcuts to apps and stuff to this tray?

sertse

#24 Post by sertse »

I found a way to "pseudo" autohide the wbar.

In openbox configuration manager, you can set margins for your windows. What I did was set a 1 pixel margin on the bottom (As I have my wbar on the bottom). 1 pixel is hardly noticeable imo...

The result is that if you right click the bottom of the screen where the bar should be, the bar will refresh itself and bring it to the top. Clicking on a window or whatever again puts the wbar below again.

Edit: This assumes the -above-desk option is already set for wbar in xinitrc

magerlab

#25 Post by magerlab »

i think lxpanel woul be a better chocie
just installed to try lxpanel from zenwalk repos
it works but i have some errors

may be some one can compile lxpanel( the latest) for puppy ?
Attachments
pupscreen-30Aug,200049.jpeg
(137.81 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times

Marv

#26 Post by Marv »

Hi Gray,
Boxpup is a real gem.

Both tint and wbar really quite simple to configure.

As usual bcm43xx works eratically but ndiswrapper perfectly.

I fought with the ratty fonts in the opera main toolbar for a while.

Installed bitstream vera sans fonts. Very nice look in openbox and opera EXCEPT main toolbar and dropdown menus. Just copy the ttf files to /usr/share/fonts/default/ttf, run mkfontscale then mkfontdir from a terminal opened from that directory.

Passed XFLD fontname for normal font to opera in command line. Still ratty.

Installed qt-3.3.8 (3.0 pet) and replaced static opera with shared 9.52 using the tar.gz from opera. BINGO! All fonts sweet in opera.

The static 9.52 uses an older qt according to the opera forums that for some reason doesn't anti-alias the 'normal' font.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

T_Hobbit

#27 Post by T_Hobbit »

Best looking Puppy I ever see. My #1 now!

Thanks

davids45

#28 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Having a play with a frugal BoxPup.
Interesting.
I have two programs I use frequently via Wine and put icons on the desk top in 'normal' Pups.

I tried adding one of these wine-runners to .wb - got the icon & text but could not run it. What command/text would be needed?

I then tried adding text to the menu xml file to try to get one to run but had no luck there either. I hadn't tried this before with previous Pups because I could always add an icon to the desktop so didn't need a pop-up menu item.

Is either of these approaches workable in setting up quick running of a wine-program?

Thanks,
David S.

gray

Revision 1

#29 Post by gray »

Hi y'all

I have taken some of the suggestions on board and produced a revision 1 of boxpup - get it at www.puupylinux.ca as full iso or patch the original with the xdelta patch.

I added the qt-3.3.8 libs and changed opera to the dynamic link version.
Then added qfaxreader for viewing multipage tiff files.
Also added stalonetray and absvolume, blinky, freememapplet and glipper.
I included lxpanel, but I am not happy with it. Like its LXDE stablemate PCmanFM it looks good and is full of promise but is annoyingly unstable and crashes often.
Tint is now at the bottom of the screen and you can switch between tint and lxpanel using the desktop menu item "Choose Panel".

enjoy ...

magerlab

#30 Post by magerlab »

sounds great , Gray!
i really enjoy this pupplet.
May be need to get used with thunar...
Rox is much simplier for me
unfortunately it seems that lxpanel works fine in puppy 3 but for Dingo glibc needs to be recompiled ( see the thread on lxpanel in additional software topic)

the only thing i miss is aoto-hiding of panels to fit the small screen of eee pc

Puppy Dog

#31 Post by Puppy Dog »

Smart apps,Puppy 4,Opera,flash--a Bases Loaded Grand Slam Home Run !

Hot Dog ---- with mustard and relish.

Thanks Gray :D
"Best In Show"

geneven

Boxpup

#32 Post by geneven »

This is an enjoyable Puppy variant, and it might win a permanent spot on the usb drive I reserve for Puppy, assuming I can get it to work properly with my BCM43xx wireless. Thanks!

Henry

Boxpup/Nop

#33 Post by Henry »

Hello, Gray,

As usual, you've been quietly productive! Nice job, and I'm glad to see you kept the user friendly Thunar file manager. Is Boxpup simply an alternative to Nop with XFCE or intended as its successor?

I have used Nop from its earliest to its latest version 400-NOP-r1. No complaints! And you've helped amazingly along the way. Thanks!

I have of course tried the latest Boxpup with pfix=ram, but have been unable to actually compare with Nop, since I cannot "upgrade" from my .2fs of Nop. I get an empty screen with a cursor and no way out. Yes, I've avoided mixing up the different 400.sfs hiles.

(Nor can I upgrade to Barry's latest from the .2fs of Nop. "No pinboard, etc.")

Now here's my question - I assume/ hope that there will be a new Nop (as before) shortly after the Barry's next v.4 release (whenever). Well, you probably can't answer that, but I thought I'd ask it anyway :-)

Barry's new baby is expected to have improvements, not least better stability and fewer whiteouts, using aufs. So I hope there will be a corresponding new Nop, or at least something as good that I can upgrade my present hard won configuration to.

Kind regards,
Henry

gray

puppysave upgrade

#34 Post by gray »

Henry, glad you like Boxpup. It is not meant to replace NOP, just a vehicle for having a puppy with the latest Abiword and Gnumeric and all their plugins. I have found the new Abiword very useable.

I am not surprised you cant upgrade a unionfs savefile. Boxpup uses Aufs, as does the new puppy 4.1. I have found that upgrading a union fs savefile to an Aufs puppy doesnt work.

I am indeed planning a NOP version of 4.1 and have already worked out how to use the new pup_event system to do desktop drive icons in xfce.

magerlab

#35 Post by magerlab »

boxpup is really my favorite puplet
work fine on my EEE pc ( i only use it without tint because it does not autohide)
but there are hotkeys in openbox!
Alt+TAb and Win+D do the job

and it's a choice for my desktop also

also if you plan a next NOP release, include opera shared with qt like in boxpup
it looks much better!