Toshiba Satellite 1730CDT no sound

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
doublej

Toshiba Satellite 1730CDT no sound

#1 Post by doublej »

Fairly new to Puppy but have 'played around' with computers for the last 30 years.

Alsaconfig says it finds the sound card, Cirrus Logic CS4281, and configures it OK but I still get no sound (I have tried both loudspeakers and earphones). Also neither AlsaMixer nor sGmixer run - they just return nothing when run.

What to now - any thoughts please?

Cheers

John, Melbourne

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Hi John,

same model toshiba I used to have when I first tried puppy. Which puppy version are you running, and how are you running it...frugal/CD/full?

If you enter lsmod is there any mention of cs4281? If not try running modprobe cs4281. If you're sound works after running this, you can add this command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so that it will be run on booting.

Or you could try running alsaconf -a.

vmos

re Toshiba Satellite 1730CDT no sound

#3 Post by vmos »

Hello! I'm more of a kubuntu chap myself, but damn, I'm impressed by puppy.

Anyways, I dug out my out toshiba 1700-300 after I killed my music laptop and I'm experiencing the same issue.

lsmod brings up a whole load of crap (stop me if I'm getting to technical here) it does mention SND_CS4281 and it's used by 1
also, SND is used by SND_CS4281 (what is lsmod looking at here?)

I tried modprobe cs4281 but that gave me a FATAL: module cs4281 not found.

alsaconf -a went through without complaining, seemed to run fine

I'm using the latest version of puppy, puppy dingo 4 I think and I did the full hard drive install

any ideas?

/edit, I've gone into alsamixer and unmuted everything and turned all the volumes up. The only thing that makes a difference is the external amplifier, when it's on I hear silence, when it's muted I hear slight interference in the headphones

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32328

Check out this post and other links in it.

Good luck.....Chris.