TiMidity++-2.13.0, with alsaseq support!

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
vovchik

#16 Post by vovchik »

Dear Sigmund,

I know this is a kludge, but you could try to symlink libtk.so and libtcl.so to any old lib that timidity does not use and see what happens, so long as you do not call the tk interface. If you call timidity with -ig, it might actually only load the gtk business and not really check whether the tcl and tk libs are the real ones. As you don't have the tk and tcl libs installed, you might want to give this little "cheat' experiment a try. I would be interested in the result.

With kind regards,
vovchik

zigbert

#17 Post by zigbert »

Bad news.
I made a symlink and got a new error.
Good try :)

Code: Select all

# timidity -ig
timidity: /usr/lib/libtk.so: no version information available (required by timidity)
timidity: relocation error: timidity: symbol SLtt_Use_Ansi_Colors, version SLANG2 not defined in file libslang.so.2 with link time reference

Sigmund

vovchik

#18 Post by vovchik »

Dear Sigmund,

Thanks for trying. Since slang is another one of those interface options, as is motif, I think creating more of those symlinks for slang and the other missing libs would do the trick, since the tk business only produced a missing version warning. I know the solution is very "dicey", but I think it will work.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. "ldd `which timidity` | grep found" will show which libs timidity is looking for. I think you know that, but others might not.

zigbert

#19 Post by zigbert »

vovchik
I made fake symlinks for all my missing dependencies before posting my previous post. :?

Sigmund

charlie6

#20 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Sigmund,
zigbert wrote:vovchik
I made fake symlinks for all my missing dependencies before posting my previous post. :?
Sigmund

I got the same missing libtk.so libtcl.so error; have fixed them (acc. to vovchik explaination) picking
libtk.8.5.so.o and libtcl.8.5.so.o
in a previous install of timidity.2.10.pet (in /usr/lib/), copying them to the 2.13 version installation, symlinking them to libtk.so and libtcl.so.
I got another lib missing sounds like libarts... got it onstalled looking in deian packages contents and undeb it under / .

On another test I tried to install timidity2.13-sc.tar.gz downloaded from slackware, in puppy4.13, just install the missing lib (see above) - seems to got it installed but when launching
# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &
for interfacing wiyj NtEd.1.5.10
it seems looking for a timidity.cfg file and not being compatible with Alsa1.0.16, maybe am I wrong ? (I"m just a newbie..)
see here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 61&t=36124

Hope this helps

To vovchik
Hi vovchik,
many thanks for your kind reply - sorry! I did have time as yet to try the GUI you proposed, but I hope to get it...! I'll let you know.

Cheers
Charlie

charlie6

#21 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
installed on Puppy413 (yes version four one three)
TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet
alsa-plugins-1.0.18-i486-1as.tgz
I get the following error:

# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &
[1] 15366
# ALSA lib pcm.c:2104:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
Can't open pcm device 'default'.
Couldn't open ALSA pcm device (`s')

[1]+  Exit 2                  timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100
I do not understand as
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
is well present.

perhaps the .2-tk in TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet indicates it is a different version.....?

I'll try the one given at top of the post

Cheers
Charlie[/u]

charlie6

#22 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
perhaps the .2-tk in TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet indicates it is a different version.....?

I'll try the one given at top of the post
I uninstalled TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet, restarted the PC, and installed TiMidity++2.13.0.pet above.
Got this error while typing

# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100  
Couldn't open output device
# 
note : " -Os1l " is -capital O one lowercase L

this command line for setting midi interface for using in NtEd
see more here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2dae621b66
Looking at Alsa in Menu/Multimedia/Alsa mixer
Alsa is no longer working
I got the message

could'nt open ...
I believe some alsa files are somewhat corrupted or missing ...perhaps due to successive install and uninstall.

I wonder now whether re-installing Puppy413... or reinstalling Alsa but I do not know where to find an alsa.pet..

many thanks for eventual advices

Cheers
Charlie

linuxsansdisquedur

#23 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

hey ! that TiMidity++-2.13.0 has a gui: THE best one timidity -in :D
a little slow when boot with a very long playlist but what powerfull hotkeys to use !
Last edited by linuxsansdisquedur on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
le max avec le min

Makoto

#24 Post by Makoto »

I'm running Puppy 4.2.1 over an old Win98 tower (frugal install), and I have TiMIDIty++ installed there with a full patch set. Is it possible to simply install the above .pet and just point it to the existing patch set? (I know, I can also just copy the patch set to my pup-save file, but where's the fun in that? :D)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

The way I have this package configured, there is a symlink named /usr/share/timidity/current that points at the current patch set. Then there is a /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg file that is set to include the /usr/share/timidity/current/timidity.cfg file. So as long as your patch set has a timidity.cfg file inside, you should be able to just point the "current" link at it. Otherwise, you could edit the /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg file by hand to match whatever your setup is.

You would probably need to configure Puppy to mount the other pup_save.2fs file on bootup so that you can access the patch set. Adding something like this to /etc/rc.local would do the trick:

mkdir -p /mnt/other_pup_save
mount -o loop <PATH_TO_pup_save.2fs> /mnt/other_pup_save
That would mount <PATH_TO_pup_save.2fs> on /mnt/other_pup_save.

Or you could move the patches out of the other save file onto the drive itself and have both files point at it there.

Or do you mean you want to access those patches from a separate computer? In that case, you would need to set up a network share of some sort. A couple years ago I tried to get NFS to work, but I didn't really know what I was doing. But I did manage to get sshfs to work, which lets you mount a drive over a normal SSH connection, without installing anything special on the remote end. And I remember having Samba working at one point.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Makoto

#26 Post by Makoto »

No, it's on the same tower, on the base HD (where I also have the frugal install files stored). I thought it'd be silly to have the whole ~50MB (if I remember correctly) set stored twice on the same hard drive, though. :D
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

linuxsansdisquedur

#27 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

just rename /usr/share/timidity => /usr/share/timidityold (in case of emergency)
and make a symlink with your timidity directory on your dd where your installed timidity.cfg is => "/usr/share/timidity"
test it, if it run ok just delete timidityold !
for me minishom is just fine ...and only 4455 k !
perhaps better way deleting your old install :D
le max avec le min

musher0

#28 Post by musher0 »

Just discovered this. Wonderful!

Thanks, pizzasgood!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Makoto

#29 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... maybe someone who knows gtkdialog (I sure don't... :oops: ) could put together a simple GUI for this - just a window that calls timidity, shows the name of the loaded MIDI, and has a "Stop" button to kill the timidity process. :)

Heck, I don't know if gtkdialog windows have drag-and-drop, either... so I wouldn't know whether such a setup could allow for dragging a MIDI onto the window (in which case it'd probably kill the active timidity process, and call timidity again with the new song).

Other than that, though, the timidity pet still works great for me on 4.3.1, where I've been using it for a while. I just have to remember to keep a pprocess window open. :P Thanks again, Pizzasgood. :)

linuxsansdisquedur

#30 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

with that pet, just right click a midifile set run action and enter the command

rxvt  -geometry 768x640 -e timidity -int "$1"
(you can use or not or change the geometry 768x640 to use the size you want).
so each click of a midifile open ncurse interface than can be stop with key "q" ans so more :wink:
if you use other pet than have other interface you can use timidity -ig "$1" for instance for have a gui
le max avec le min

Makoto

#31 Post by Makoto »

Yes - I did see your post about it, here. :D I was just wondering if there could perhaps be a simple GUI created for this version that doesn't necessarily rely on the terminal (or a shell script)... or me keeping pprocess open. :P

Just curious - does the version of TiMIDIty++ listed in PPM use a GUI similar to this one? (Yes, it's a Win32 version... I spent a lot of time using it from years past, so I'm over-used to it, I guess.)

That was from when ++ was merely a fork and not, apparently, a mainstream version. Hmm... wonder if the Linux version has any problems playing .rcp files... I'll have to find one of the few .rcps I have and test.

musher0

#32 Post by musher0 »

makoto?

These two scripts should help you play your midi files without fuss. It doesn't really have an interface, but almost, and more importantly, it does the job! You can even put the icon on your desktop for easy launching! (See pic.)

As a bonus, you can re-use the < timiprep.sh > script simply to have a transparent console on your desktop! :)

Here's the doc file. Please read it first. See towards the end the part on how this script can kill timidity as well as play midi files with it. (Which was part of your problem, I believe.)

If you have any questions, just get back to me?
###################################
# To all:
# This is not high-level programming, I know, I know! It's just
# a couple of simple common-sense scripts to help people
# play their midi files with < timidity >.
# Just imagine this as being "McGyver's Jukebox" ! :lol:
# To the actual users:
#
# First launch this script (it's called < timiprep.sh >).
#
# It will open a transparent terminal for you in
# the < /root/my-documents/my-music/midi > directory.
#
# Note:
# The pet file should have created it upon installation, but
# if you don't have such a sub-directory, please create
# it now: the two scripts need it to work properly.
#
# These scripts assume that you have your midi files
# there, or at least their symlinks. So please do copy
# or symlink your midi files to
# < /root/my-documents/my-music/midi >,
# if you haven't already.
#
###################
# Now for the operation of this script.
#
# This < timiprep.sh > script is your launchpad for
# the < timidity.sh > script.
#
# From here, you can use the < ls > command to see the
# music pieces that you want to play, and which you may
# -- or not -- have classified by genre in various directories.
# (It doesn't really matter if you have sub-dirs in here or not.
# You can select your files simply with wildcards.)
#
# To see the midi files of pop music you have in your
# /root/my-documents/my-music/midi/pop directory,
# you'd type
#
# ls pop
#
#or, if you like classical music,
#
# ls Bach
#
# or whatever.
#
# If you want to play all your pop pieces, type
#
# timidity.sh pop/
#
# A second transparent console entitled "TiiMIDIty++2.13"
# will open and all the midi files you have in your "pop"
# directory will play one after the other.
#
# Now, for the sake of example, let's say that, this time,
# you'd like to hear only the pieces by Carly Simon that
# you have in that directory.
#
# You'd type:
#
# timidity.sh pop/Carly*
#
# and those songs will start playing.
#
# If you've changed your mind and don't like the selection,
# and you want to choose some other music, simply type:
#
# timidity.sh
#
# with no arguments. The music will stop and you'll be able
# to make another choice. The script is made in such a
# way as to kill the program if it has no arguments.
#
# If the cursor in the < timiprep > console seems to have
# disappeared, simply hit the < Return > key.
#
# The < timidity.sh > console closes automatically when
# < timidity > has finished playing your selection.
#
# I hope you'll find these little "timidity" scripts useful!
#
# Happy Holidays!
#
# musher0, mid-Dec. 2010
PS. If you'd prefer playing your midi files with Ultrasound, I've made a dosbox package you can download by going to these threads: You'll need the dosbox pet or sfs too, of course, as well as the ultrasound one.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 393#474393
and
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 64&t=62730

Enjoy!
Attachments
timiprep-0.1.pet
(48.46 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
timiprep.jpg
(114.19 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

Did you try the one vovchik posted? That one should have gui support if you launch it with the -ig option.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 984#307984

Personally, I don't like running Timidity separately to listen to midis. I like having one media player handle both midi and normal audio. Most Linux media players don't directly support midi though - they just let you choose a midi port to route the midi file through. So what you can do is have Puppy launch Timidity in the background as a server during bootup so that it creates virtual midi ports on your computer. Then you can configure the media player to route midi files into the virtual port. That way the normal media player can still control playback position and can have playlists that include both midi files and normal audio files, and it will automatically send the midi data into Timidity for the actual playing.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

linuxsansdisquedur

#34 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

timidity from repo has a gui :lol:
just create a link on your desktop (or in menu) with

#!/bin/sh
timidity -igt
to run it without any shell ever :wink:

timidity from this post after linking midifile timidity as said never more needs any teminal
just rox to click files ! :wink:
@pizzagood right your timidity.pet can be launch in server mode 8) (and that why i use it)
but for midi lovers nothing better than playing midifiles with a dedicated player that allow changing many thing and ncursegui show all subtility of them include lyrics (type in a terminal timidity -h and see) 8)
and as puppy is ncurse gui is elegant simple light and powerfull

le max avec le min

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

linuxsansdisquedur wrote:timidity from repo has a gui :lol:
just create a link on your desktop (or in menu) with

#!/bin/sh
timidity -igt
to run it without any shell ever :wink:
(...)
Repo? What repo? Please tell us where!

With this pet package of timidity, I get
# timidity -igt
Interface `g' is not compiled in.
Try timidity -h for help
In any case, with my "McGyver-ish" 2-scripts solution, the midi info does show.
Besides, no offense intended, but who uses timidity to look at an interface? You use it to listen to some music, no?
IMHO, the interface is not that important. A good patch set, such as the "eaw" patches pizzasgood provided, is much more important -- as well as properly coded midi files, of course!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~