Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 04:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
TiMidity++-2.13.0, with alsaseq support!
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
vovchik

PostPosted: Fri 22 May 2009, 13:09    Post_subject:  

Dear Sigmund,

I know this is a kludge, but you could try to symlink libtk.so and libtcl.so to any old lib that timidity does not use and see what happens, so long as you do not call the tk interface. If you call timidity with -ig, it might actually only load the gtk business and not really check whether the tcl and tk libs are the real ones. As you don't have the tk and tcl libs installed, you might want to give this little "cheat' experiment a try. I would be interested in the result.

With kind regards,
vovchik
zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 23 May 2009, 18:41    Post_subject:  

Bad news.
I made a symlink and got a new error.
Good try Smile

Code:

# timidity -ig
timidity: /usr/lib/libtk.so: no version information available (required by timidity)
timidity: relocation error: timidity: symbol SLtt_Use_Ansi_Colors, version SLANG2 not defined in file libslang.so.2 with link time reference

Sigmund

vovchik

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 06:58    Post_subject:  

Dear Sigmund,

Thanks for trying. Since slang is another one of those interface options, as is motif, I think creating more of those symlinks for slang and the other missing libs would do the trick, since the tk business only produced a missing version warning. I know the solution is very "dicey", but I think it will work.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. "ldd `which timidity` | grep found" will show which libs timidity is looking for. I think you know that, but others might not.
zigbert

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 07:39    Post_subject:  

vovchik
I made fake symlinks for all my missing dependencies before posting my previous post. Confused

Sigmund

charlie6

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun 2009, 16:34    Post_subject:  

Hi Sigmund,

zigbert wrote:
vovchik
I made fake symlinks for all my missing dependencies before posting my previous post. Confused
Sigmund

I got the same missing libtk.so libtcl.so error; have fixed them (acc. to vovchik explaination) picking
libtk.8.5.so.o and libtcl.8.5.so.o
in a previous install of timidity.2.10.pet (in /usr/lib/), copying them to the 2.13 version installation, symlinking them to libtk.so and libtcl.so.
I got another lib missing sounds like libarts... got it onstalled looking in deian packages contents and undeb it under / .

On another test I tried to install timidity2.13-sc.tar.gz downloaded from slackware, in puppy4.13, just install the missing lib (see above) - seems to got it installed but when launching
# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &
for interfacing wiyj NtEd.1.5.10
it seems looking for a timidity.cfg file and not being compatible with Alsa1.0.16, maybe am I wrong ? (I"m just a newbie..)
see here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=210055961&t=36124

Hope this helps

To vovchik
Hi vovchik,
many thanks for your kind reply - sorry! I did have time as yet to try the GUI you proposed, but I hope to get it...! I'll let you know.

Cheers
Charlie
charlie6

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 00:22    Post_subject:  

Hi,
installed on Puppy413 (yes version four one three)
TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet
alsa-plugins-1.0.18-i486-1as.tgz
I get the following error:
Code:
# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &
[1] 15366
# ALSA lib pcm.c:2104:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
Can't open pcm device 'default'.
Couldn't open ALSA pcm device (`s')

[1]+  Exit 2                  timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

I do not understand as
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
is well present.

perhaps the .2-tk in TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet indicates it is a different version.....?

I'll try the one given at top of the post

Cheers
Charlie[/u]
charlie6

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 00:45    Post_subject:  

Hi,
Quote:
perhaps the .2-tk in TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet indicates it is a different version.....?

I'll try the one given at top of the post

I uninstalled TiMidity++2.13.2-tk.pet, restarted the PC, and installed TiMidity++2.13.0.pet above.
Got this error while typing
Code:

# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 
Couldn't open output device
#

note : " -Os1l " is -capital O one lowercase L

this command line for setting midi interface for using in NtEd
see more here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36124&sid=4ee5ebf7df7d4876b401fb2dae621b66
Looking at Alsa in Menu/Multimedia/Alsa mixer
Alsa is no longer working
I got the message
Code:
could'nt open ...

I believe some alsa files are somewhat corrupted or missing ...perhaps due to successive install and uninstall.

I wonder now whether re-installing Puppy413... or reinstalling Alsa but I do not know where to find an alsa.pet..

many thanks for eventual advices

Cheers
Charlie
linuxsansdisquedur

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 16:26    Post_subject:    

hey ! that TiMidity++-2.13.0 has a gui: THE best one timidity -in Very Happy
a little slow when boot with a very long playlist but what powerfull hotkeys to use !

Edited_time_total
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep 2009, 03:59    Post_subject:  

I'm running Puppy 4.2.1 over an old Win98 tower (frugal install), and I have TiMIDIty++ installed there with a full patch set. Is it possible to simply install the above .pet and just point it to the existing patch set? (I know, I can also just copy the patch set to my pup-save file, but where's the fun in that? Very Happy)
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep 2009, 04:12    Post_subject:  

The way I have this package configured, there is a symlink named /usr/share/timidity/current that points at the current patch set. Then there is a /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg file that is set to include the /usr/share/timidity/current/timidity.cfg file. So as long as your patch set has a timidity.cfg file inside, you should be able to just point the "current" link at it. Otherwise, you could edit the /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg file by hand to match whatever your setup is.

You would probably need to configure Puppy to mount the other pup_save.2fs file on bootup so that you can access the patch set. Adding something like this to /etc/rc.local would do the trick:
Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/other_pup_save
mount -o loop <PATH_TO_pup_save.2fs> /mnt/other_pup_save

That would mount <PATH_TO_pup_save.2fs> on /mnt/other_pup_save.

Or you could move the patches out of the other save file onto the drive itself and have both files point at it there.

Or do you mean you want to access those patches from a separate computer? In that case, you would need to set up a network share of some sort. A couple years ago I tried to get NFS to work, but I didn't really know what I was doing. But I did manage to get sshfs to work, which lets you mount a drive over a normal SSH connection, without installing anything special on the remote end. And I remember having Samba working at one point.

Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep 2009, 04:18    Post_subject:  

No, it's on the same tower, on the base HD (where I also have the frugal install files stored). I thought it'd be silly to have the whole ~50MB (if I remember correctly) set stored twice on the same hard drive, though. Very Happy
linuxsansdisquedur

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2009, 05:29    Post_subject:    

just rename /usr/share/timidity => /usr/share/timidityold (in case of emergency)
and make a symlink with your timidity directory on your dd where your installed timidity.cfg is => "/usr/share/timidity"
test it, if it run ok just delete timidityold !
for me minishom is just fine ...and only 4455 k !
perhaps better way deleting your old install Very Happy

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov 2009, 19:47    Post_subject:  

Just discovered this. Wonderful!

Thanks, pizzasgood!

Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec 2010, 02:45    Post_subject:  

Hmm... maybe someone who knows gtkdialog (I sure don't... Embarassed ) could put together a simple GUI for this - just a window that calls timidity, shows the name of the loaded MIDI, and has a "Stop" button to kill the timidity process. Smile

Heck, I don't know if gtkdialog windows have drag-and-drop, either... so I wouldn't know whether such a setup could allow for dragging a MIDI onto the window (in which case it'd probably kill the active timidity process, and call timidity again with the new song).

Other than that, though, the timidity pet still works great for me on 4.3.1, where I've been using it for a while. I just have to remember to keep a pprocess window open. Razz Thanks again, Pizzasgood. Smile

linuxsansdisquedur

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec 2010, 16:24    Post_subject:    

with that pet, just right click a midifile set run action and enter the command
Code:
rxvt  -geometry 768x640 -e timidity -int "$1"
(you can use or not or change the geometry 768x640 to use the size you want).
so each click of a midifile open ncurse interface than can be stop with key "q" ans so more Wink
if you use other pet than have other interface you can use timidity -ig "$1" for instance for have a gui

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum