How do I remaster a custom Puppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
DataPacRat

How do I remaster a custom Puppy?

#1 Post by DataPacRat »

I know some of the posters here are much more skilled than I am at configuring Linux files and so forth. As much as I want to learn those skills, I also want to have a customized ISO I can burn to disc - and I'm not too proud to ask for help. Or to Paypal a few bucks to your favorite charity for added incentive.

My goal: A puplet customized for reading various archived data, most likely burned onto the same disc as the puplet. Data to include text, hypertext, PDFs, ebooks (eg, epubs), CBR files, music, movies. Automatically open the main documents directory, program associations set up to run the appropriate programs. A wallpaper, logo, and theme for a consistent look. Reasonably small size, to save room for archives.

If anybody here wants to help me get this set up, then let me know, here or through email (my username at gmail dot com), and we can hammer out the details.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Do you want to remaster because you intend to install your custom Puppy in other computers, or will you be running it only from the live CD?

DataPacRat

#3 Post by DataPacRat »

Flash wrote:Do you want to remaster because you intend to install your custom Puppy in other computers, or will you be running it only from the live CD?
The latter - I don't plan on assuming the computers these run on will have any permanent storage.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Okay then, if you can assume the computers will have CD or DVD drives and are permitted to boot from them, you should at least consider running Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD. Multisession is the equivalent of remastering, if you don't intend to install Puppy.

DataPacRat

#5 Post by DataPacRat »

Flash wrote:Okay then, if you can assume the computers will have CD or DVD drives and are permitted to boot from them, you should at least consider running Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD. Multisession is the equivalent of remastering, if you don't intend to install Puppy.
My plan is to put the various archived data onto "M-Disc" DVDs and Blu-Rays; and for the data to be the same in 50 years as when it's written. If using a muti-session disc is vital for a Puplet, then that would have to be a different disc than the data is stored on.

I could /almost/ get away with just using the standard Slacko 5.4 ISO; but it lacks a couple of reader programs, at the very least. So, since what I want needs an EPub and CBR reader added anyway, it seems worth the effort to smooth over any other rough edges. ... If I can figure out all the details, or find someone who can help figure them out with me.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

You can store the archived data on the same multisession disk as Puppy (DVD or Blu-Ray, multisession Puppy works on either one), but separately from Puppy. That is, after Puppy boots from the multisession disk, you then mount the same disk and use whatever program you've installed in Puppy to read the data from the disk. I've been running Puppy from multisession DVD and Blu-Ray disks for around 6 years. I'm telling you, it works like magic. Each disk can have its own Puppy on it, with the same or different programs installed.

DataPacRat

#7 Post by DataPacRat »

Flash wrote:You can store the archived data on the same multisession disk as Puppy (DVD or Blu-Ray, multisession Puppy works on either one), but separately from Puppy. That is, after Puppy boots from the multisession disk, you then mount the same disk and use whatever program you've installed in Puppy to read the data from the disk. I've been running Puppy from multisession DVD and Blu-Ray disks for around 6 years. I'm telling you, it works like magic. Each disk can have its own Puppy on it, with the same or different programs installed.
Okay, I seem to have lost track of a detail. The only times I've ever heard of multisession discs was to be able to add additional data after the initial burn; so I assumed that when you mentioned putting Puppy on a multisession disc, it would be so that data could keep being saved - like updating a savefile with new preferences, etc. But now I gather that that's not what you meant at all... Would that be something like burning the Puplet ISO in one session, and then the disc's main contents in another session, and then that's it? If so - I have absolutely no objection to such a thing.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

R-S-H

#8 Post by R-S-H »

My goal: A puplet customized for reading various archived data, most likely burned onto the same disc as the puplet. Data to include text, hypertext, PDFs, ebooks (eg, epubs), CBR files, music, movies. Automatically open the main documents directory, program associations set up to run the appropriate programs. A wallpaper, logo, and theme for a consistent look. Reasonably small size, to save room for archives.
My plan is to put the various archived data onto "M-Disc" DVDs and Blu-Rays; and for the data to be the same in 50 years as when it's written. If using a muti-session disc is vital for a Puplet, then that would have to be a different disc than the data is stored on.

I could /almost/ get away with just using the standard Slacko 5.4 ISO; but it lacks a couple of reader programs, at the very least. So, since what I want needs an EPub and CBR reader added anyway, it seems worth the effort to smooth over any other rough edges. ... If I can figure out all the details, or find someone who can help figure them out with me.
Why not using USB Flash instead of CD/DVD?

Once you did buy a CD, later you'll throw away PLASTC!

Why not using SFS Files instead of remastering?

To create and updating an SFS File for Data and/or Programs is much easier than remastering - especially if one is remastering the Puppy without the LazY Puppy Remaster-Suite!

RSH

DataPacRat

#9 Post by DataPacRat »

R-S-H wrote:Why not using USB Flash instead of CD/DVD?

Once you did buy a CD, later you'll throw away PLASTC!
Longevity. The archival discs I plan on using should remain stable, and readable, for at least fifty years, and possibly many times that length of time. I would barely trust a USB drive to maintain its data for a year, let along a decade, let alone multiple decades.

Why not using SFS Files instead of remastering?

To create and updating an SFS File for Data and/or Programs is much easier than remastering - especially if one is remastering the Puppy without the LazY Puppy Remaster-Suite!
To give an example of what I have in mind - I'm going to end up with a bunch of data for the year 1967 - pictures, text, movies, and more. I'd like to put all of that together on a single disk. I'm also going to have a bunch of data for the year 1968, which I want to put on its own disc. Etc, etc. That's almost fifty discs, just for the data sorted by year. I'd like to throw a Puplet onto those discs, so that the programs that can read and display those movies, etc, remain with the movies, etc.

Once the discs are burned - they'll probably never be updated, only read from. Whatever is a reasonably simple way to put both the Puplet and the data onto the dozens of discs, I'm willing to try out.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

gameboyab

#10 Post by gameboyab »

In 50 years, there may not be something as archaic as an optical drive.
It is astounding how fast a technology becomes obsolete. :roll:
Not running as root is the cause of my inferiority complex.

DataPacRat

#11 Post by DataPacRat »

gameboyab wrote:In 50 years, there may not be something as archaic as an optical drive.
It is astounding how fast a technology becomes obsolete. :roll:
It's still possible to read punch cards today - or analog audio from wire spools. It just takes a bit of willingness to put in the effort.

If some longer-lasting media arrives, then at the very least, I'll have everything all nicely sorted out to be transferred. And in the meantime, it'll all be safely stored and tucked away. (Yes, including having multiple copies in different locations, if all goes well.)

One way or another, I'm giving this a shot. Whether I stick a copy of some version of Puppy Linux on these discs, and which version that might be, is the point that's still being hashed out.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

R-S-H

#12 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Some help to remaster the puppy could be: LazY Puppy LazY Remaster Suite. I know it works in Lucid and Three Headed Dog and there has been a Forum Member that confirmed it's working in a precise derivative - I think it was Online Puppy (Precise 542).

Hope that will help somehow...

RSH

dancytron

#13 Post by dancytron »

Have you tried to use the regular remaster program that comes with Puppy? Seems like it would meet your needs.

When you run it, before the last steps when it makes the iso, it gives you a chance to copy any additional files to the puppylivecd directory (which then gets made into an iso file).

Or, you could have it just create the puppylivecd directory and skip making the iso file. Then add the files you want and convert it into an iso manually.

Seems the best strategy might be to give it a try and then if it doesn't work for you come back with more specific questions.

DataPacRat

#14 Post by DataPacRat »

Somebody renamed the thread for me. I've already managed to take the puppylivecd directory and turn it into an ISO; what I haven't managed is to stuff the right software and configuration files into that directory to do what I want. Eg - I've searched through the forum's archives, but haven't managed to get a single CBR reader I've found mention of to work at all. I don't know if there's an ebook reader more compact than Calibre handy, and I haven't managed to get Calibre's reader to activate when an ePub file is clicked on. I haven't even started looking for where Slacko keeps its startup screen, start-menu icon, etc, to try rebranding the eventual Puplet as, say, 'PupReader 0.1'.

The big stuff is easy to figure out or find an answer for; it's all the little fiddly bits that are stymieing my efforts.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

dancytron

#15 Post by dancytron »

FBReader works great on puppy for reading epub files. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23440

I didn't even know what a CBR reader was until I looked it up, but if you search "cbr ubuntu" there are some that look like they'd run in Lucid puppy.

R-S-H

#16 Post by R-S-H »

and I haven't managed to get Calibre's reader to activate when an ePub file is clicked on
If you want to open a program by clicking its file one has to edit/set the mime types. Do a right-click on the file and choose entry 'Set Run Action...' or something similar (I'm in a German desktop). A GUI comes up, just drag the program (executable) into that GUI or enter a command.

As far as I know you have to copy /root/Choices/MIME-types to /tmp//root/Choices/MIME-types at remastering - you can also put a 'cp' command into the remasterpup2 script to keep this automatically at next remasters. That's how the LazY Puppy LazY Remaster Suite is acting (lots of similar options can be set in a GUI before remastering).

Command:

cp -af /root/Choices/MIME-types /tmp/root/Choices/

Find the section work on /root in remasterpup2 and put it in!

Also there is a CBR-Pager on the forum.
Last edited by R-S-H on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

DataPacRat

#17 Post by DataPacRat »

dancytron wrote:FBReader works great on puppy for reading epub files. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23440
Thank you for the recommendation; I'll add it to my list of things to try out.
dancytron wrote:I didn't even know what a CBR reader was until I looked it up, but if you search "cbr ubuntu" there are some that look like they'd run in Lucid puppy.
I've made the search, tried the programs I've found; and will describe the most recent outcome below.

R-S-H wrote:
and I haven't managed to get Calibre's reader to activate when an ePub file is clicked on
If you want to open a program by clicking its file one has to edit/set the mime types. Do a right-click on the file and choose entry 'Set Run Action...' or something similar (I'm in a German desktop). A GUI comes up, just drag the program (executable) into that GUI or enter a command.

As far as I know you have to copy /root/Choices/MIME-types to /tmp//root/Choices/MIME-types at remastering - you can also put a 'cp' command into the remasterpup2 script to keep this automatically at next remasters. That's how the LazY Puppy LazY Remaster Suite is acting (lots of similar options can be set in a GUI before remastering).

Command:

cp -af /root/Choices/MIME-types /tmp//root/Choices/

Find the section work on /root in remasterpup2 and put it in!
Thank you for the detailed instructions - I've saved them to try figuring out.
Also there is a CBR-Pager on the forum.
Clicked on forum's link to download .pet. Clicked on .pet, which ran Puppy's pet manager. New item appeared in menu, under Documents. Clocked on new icon... nothing happened. Checked process manager - nothing CBR-related is running. Tried running while process manager is visible - not even a flicker of a new process starting and stopping.

Similar difficulties have plagued me trying to get any other CBR reader to work. If anything gets installed at all, it just doesn't run.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

R-S-H

#18 Post by R-S-H »

What happens if you type cbrpager into a terminal program?

Please, post the terminal output here.

What Puppy are you using?

DataPacRat

#19 Post by DataPacRat »

R-S-H wrote:What happens if you type cbrpager into a terminal program?

Please, post the terminal output here.

What Puppy are you using?
A pretty bog-standard Slacko 5.4.

Terminal output:

# cbrpager
cbrpager: error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeui-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

R-S-H

#20 Post by R-S-H »

Ok.

Slacko is 01micko development. He surely can give you some help (maybe sending a pm to him), where to find this library (and also the others that might be missed). Typing the programs name into a terminal is almost helpful to find out, what is missing by a application, but the second missing lib will only be presented to you, if the first one is installed and not longer missed.

So, in such cases there will be some work to do for you, that's no fun - except the program runs after thiat.

RSH

EDIT:

Unfortunately there was an writing error in the cp command (double slash) - here is refined: cp -af /root/Choices/MIME-types /tmp/root/Choices/ (edited and replaced)