Wakepup2 Aug 2008 - floppy image for booting from USB

Using applications, configuring, problems
otropogo

#121 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:
otropogo wrote:It took me four reboots before I
had my first opportunity to insert Disk2.
Sounds like a nervous keyboard. ....
Strangely, after the first three boots, I never experienced this pause failure again. Although I'm using the same disks, unaltered...

.. You could copy pup_409.sfs to the hard drive, preferably to a subdirectory like "\pup41rc", and the Kernel WILL find it and boot to it.

Yes. That works. I notice that 4.09 has dropped gpccard. Would have been interesting to see what it had to say about the slot with my scsi adapter, which doesn't show up in Pmount.
But there are a lot of other ways to accomplish the same thing, like making up another dos2pup script, but that is another exercise.
It would sure beat the three-floppy boot method. Would you need a separate script individualized for each Pup, or can a single script give access to multiple frugals?

It may also be worthwhile to see if you can boot a live CD of Puppy 4.1 RC in your SCSI CD drive using this three-disk set. It worked for me OK on a USB CD drive.
Sorry, 4.1 rc-4 doesn't load off my pcmcia_scsi drive either. In fact, there's no indication the scsi adapter is ever recognized by the three-disk procedure.

Crash

#122 Post by Crash »

otropogo wrote:Would have been interesting to see what it had to say about the slot with my scsi adapter, which doesn't show up in Pmount.
That's too bad, because if Puppy can't see the PCMCIA slot once it is booted, chances are it never had Kernel support. The laptop that I had success with used the rather common Intel compatible PCMCIA chipset. Yours may be more obscure, although the Cardsoft driver that works for it is likewise an Intel one.
otropogo wrote:Would you need a separate script individualized for each Pup, or can a single script give access to multiple frugals?
I use a separate script for each install. You could have a program that asks what version you want to load, but I find that the separate one-line scripts are easier to generate quickly. In the case of your installation, you can make a script similar to what you have, but include the subdirectory information:

Code: Select all

"LINLD.COM image=C:\pup41rc\vmlinuz C:\pup41rc\initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd  acpi=on psubdir=pup41rc"
This should boot Puppy 4.1 RC from the DOS prompt. (Assumes you put pup_409.sfs, vmlinuz, and initrd.gz in a "\pup41rc" subdirectory, and that the drive letter is "C:").

Once you've got Puppy 4.1 RC running OK on the hard drive, I'd be interested if it can recognize your CF card in the PCMCIA adapter.

otropogo

#123 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:
otropogo wrote:Would have been interesting to see what it had to say about the slot with my scsi adapter, which doesn't show up in Pmount.
That's too bad, because if Puppy can't see the PCMCIA slot once it is booted, chances are it never had Kernel support. The laptop that I had success with used the rather common Intel compatible PCMCIA chipset. Yours may be more obscure. That might make it much harder to find a solution for.
No. You misundertstood me. Pup409, once loaded and running, can access the supported adapters in the pcmcia slots.

I'm running 409 on the CF-25 right now. It's able to read and write to both my Sandisk CF card in its adapter, and to SD flash cards in my Nexxtech 7 in 1 card reader. I'm connected right now via a pcmcia ethernet adapter.

But since I don't have an aha152x_cs module for Kernel 2.6.25 (only the one for 2.6.18_), my pcmcia scsi adapter and the devices attached to it are not recognized. I haven't tried installing the earlier module, but have been told it wouldn't work unless recompiled.
otropogo wrote:Would you need a separate script individualized for each Pup, or can a single script give access to multiple frugals?
I use a separate script for each install. You could have a program that asks what version you want to load, but I find that the separate one-line scripts are easier to generate quickly. In the case of your installation, you can make a script similar to what you have, but include the subdirectory information:

"LINLD.COM image=C:\pup41rc\vmlinuz C:\pup41rc\initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd  acpi=on psubdir=pup41rc"
This should boot Puppy 4.1 RC from the DOS prompt. (Assumes you put pup_409.sfs, vmlinuz, and initrd.gz in a "\pup41rc" subdirectory, and that the drive letter is "C:").
Thanks, I'll try it. But I'm really more interested in 4.1 retro. 409 is extremely sluggish on the CF-25. Seamonkey was so slow to load, I tried a dozen times to open it, and about three minutes later, a dozen instances appeared on the display all at once.

Crash

#124 Post by Crash »

otropogo wrote:I'm running 409 on the CF-25 right now. It's able to read and write to both my Sandisk CF card in its adapter, and to SD flash cards in my Nexxtech 7 in 1 card reader. I'm connected right now via a pcmcia ethernet adapter.
OK, that's good, although it appears that the hardware support is provided after the Kernel passes control to the main Puppy program, in which case it wouldn't be possible to boot directly from CF. I guess as long as you have a hard drive intact and the ability to read the CF card, it is always possible to get Puppy running on the computer.
otropogo wrote:I'm really more interested in 4.1 retro.
I took a look at the files on the 4.1 RC regular and 4.1 RC retro, and find that the main Puppy file, pup_409.sfs, is the exact same for both versions. So to run retro, you only have to replace vmlinuz and initrd.gz with the retro versions. This saves some time. If you have a save file already present, you will probably want to backup/delete it or rename it to something like "pup_bak.2fs" before trying the retro version. Otherwise, the retro version may get very confused if it is there. I haven't tried the retro version, mainly because the regular version provides hardware support for my SATA DVD writer, and I would probably lose that capability in the retro version.

///

Getting back to the Sept 27 Wakepup2:
otropogo wrote: Quote:
Getting back to Wakepup2, if you take the LATEST Wakepup2 disk, the one dated SEPTEMBER 27, 2008:

Save the original PCMCIA.BAT file on the floppy. Then replace PCMCIA.BAT with the following:

Does this code work with the PCMCIA SCSI CD?

I tried it with the Puppy 4.0 LiveCD only, and it does show the adapter information again, and takes matters up to the:

Quote:
pup_400.sfs not found

message.

And since I don't see any reference to pup_400.sfs in your bat file, I assume that Freedos has actually read the filename from the LiveCD in this instance.
That makes me feel better about the Sept 27 version. I didn't know if I totally messed up something there. If you could restore the pcmcia.bat file that was on the floppy (or make a new Sept 27 version), and run through this option sequence again, maybe it will run. If not, there will be a clue as to what's wrong:

7. PCMCIA, SCSI, and Zip Parallel Devices (Experimental)

1. PCMCIA

3. aspi2dos.sys

2. No, continue

6. aspicd.sys /d:USB-CD 

4. usbcd  (if needed)

1. Normal 

otropogo

#125 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:...
Getting back to the Sept 27 Wakepup2:

If you could restore the pcmcia.bat file that was on the floppy (or make a new Sept 27 version), and run through this option sequence again, maybe it will run. If not, there will be a clue as to what's wrong:

7. PCMCIA, SCSI, and Zip Parallel Devices (Experimental)

1. PCMCIA

3. aspi2dos.sys

2. No, continue

6. aspicd.sys /d:USB-CD 

4. usbcd  (if needed)

1. Normal 
Yes, it works. The host adapter and scsi CDROM are identified, and the process continues to:
.... Pup_400.sfs not found ...
when the 4.0 LiveCD is inserted,

or, if the 409 LiveCD is inserted, and after I select to load from "Z", Wakepup ignores my selection and loads 409 from the hard drive (just as it does with the 3.01 LiveCD).

(choosing 1. ALL at the third menu works too)

NB: I've just realized that I mistakenly used the "quick" method you suggested for booting the CD-ROM on my SCSI server. And this accounts for the failure to recognize the pcmcia adapter on my laptop (the directions were close together in the same post, and I neglected to zoom Seamonkey for easier reading).

I should have double checked my results by the main boot routine, or at least been specific about the menu sequence I used, in which case you'd have seen my error right away.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

Crash

#126 Post by Crash »

No problem. We have developed a very good troubleshooting process, and goof-ups are allowed!
otropogo wrote:(choosing 1. ALL at the third menu works too)
Good. I'm not a fan of using the ALL, because it DOES hang up on some computers I've tried. I bet loading only "3. aspi2dos.sys" works a whole lot faster for you, too.

The theory would be that someone who has a SCSI drive with an unknown adapter can try each of the selections until one is successful, then just use the one that works. The only reason I knew which one worked for you was that rather massive log file that you posted several pages ago. Without it, things fly by the screen too fast to catch what's going on.

Of course all this is academic until we get Kernel support ironed out. But if you can at least copy files from the PCMCIA SCSI CD ROM under Win98 to transfer files, and then dual boot to Puppy, you have enough options available to do quite a bit.

otropogo

#127 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:...
I use a separate script for each install. ..... In the case of your installation, you can make a script similar to what you have, but include the subdirectory information:

This should boot Puppy 4.1 RC from the DOS prompt. (Assumes you put pup_409.sfs, vmlinuz, and initrd.gz in a "\pup41rc" subdirectory, and that the drive letter is "C:")..
I've got the directory set up as you suggest, but the script above returns a syntax error, and displays the same information you get if you enter "linld" without any arguments.

It appears to me that linld won't accept c:\pup41rc\vmlinux as an argument for "image".

So I put my bat file containing your original script in the pup41rc directory and ran it from there, and that way it loads Puppy 409, although it's a bit cumbersome.

I tried adding "cd C:\pup41rc" to the beginning of the original bat file and running it from the root directory, but that didn't work either.

I'm glad to have this option, though, because I get the feeling my floppy drive is not long for this world.

John Doe

#128 Post by John Doe »

otropogo wrote:I've got the directory set up as you suggest, but the script above returns a syntax error, and displays the same information you get if you enter "linld" without any arguments.

It appears to me that linld won't accept c:\pup41rc\vmlinux as an argument for "image".
it was found in the past that linld has a limit on the commandline input. that's why the config file was implemented. it's not a specific argument problem, but rather you are surpassing it's input character limit.

otropogo

#129 Post by otropogo »

John Doe wrote:...

it was found in the past that linld has a limit on the commandline input. ...
Thanks for the heads up.

Crash

#130 Post by Crash »

Oops... It should have read:

LINLD.COM image=C:\pup41rc\vmlinuz initrd=C:\pup41rc\initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd acpi=on psubdir=pup41rc"
(no quote at the start, insert initrd= in front of C:\pup41rc\initrd.gz)

Although it doesn't come out that way in the post, this is one big long line, not two separate lines.
Attachments
b41rc.bat.gz
(132 Bytes) Downloaded 383 times

otropogo

#131 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:..

LINLD.COM image=C:\pup41rc\vmlinuz initrd=C:\pup41rc\initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd acpi=on psubdir=pup41rc"
Ok. That loads 409 from the subdirectory alright, but there's a hitch.

Instead of offering me the choice of 2fs files, it asks me to select the keyboard layout.

When I run your original script from within the pup41rc directory, it does present all the 2fs files available on the system.

Crash

#132 Post by Crash »

otropogo wrote:Instead of offering me the choice of 2fs files, it asks me to select the keyboard layout.
That is by design. Using the "psubdir=" parameter in the bootup script directs Puppy to put the save file in that directory. That essentially "encapsulates" the entire Puppy install, making it operate independently as if there is no other install on the hard drive. It is just as well, because if you had the option and chose one of the other save files, the first thing an upgrade install would do is change the save file to the upgraded version, making it unusable for the earlier install to use. The first time you boot, it sees no save file. The first time you shut down, it will ask you to create a new save file, and it will put it in the subdirectory.

You can create even more directories and put more Puppy installs in them, either the same version or different versions of Puppy. In even a modest size storage, like a 1 GB USB thumb drive, you can easily fit four or five independent versions of Puppy. It's a great tool for evaluating and comparing different setups.

/// Edited Oct 11

Note the latest version of Wakepup2 is dated Sept 27, 2008 and is located at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 327#235327

///

erikson

#133 Post by erikson »

For info (further to earlier exchanges about catch-22 situations in this thread):

How to do a full install on external USB hdd?
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

jonlowe

Another challenge, SCSI again

#134 Post by jonlowe »

This is on an HP Omnibook 600ct with a SCSI CD drive attached to a docking station. It can boot only from a floppy or the HD. No USB ports, and I can't add them since no one ever made a 16bit PCMCIA card with USB ports! Anyway, with wakepup2, it loads aspi2dos.sys ok, finds the CD and loads vmlinuz and initrd.gz ok. Says it is loading the drivers to access drives, and fails to find puppyxxx.sfs. It never trys to hit the CD again after it loads the drivers.

I'm assuming that the problem is that vmlinz and initrd don't contain SCSI controller drivers for non-boot SCSI devices. Is this true?

The laptop does have a couple of 16bit PCMCIA slots, so I will see if I can get it to boot from that with Puppy on a sd card in a PCMCIA card. Anyone got any other ideas? I want to at least try Puppy on this animal. But it would be nice if it would boot completely from the SCSI.

Oh, BTW, I had to add a "Q10" switch to the aspi2dos.sys driver in PCMCIA.BAT, because the built in SCSI uses a non-standard IRQ. I was lucky to find this previously on the web. You might want to mention this in your documentation. I was going round and round previously even with DOS.

I love old hardware!

Jon

thelash

PCMCIA detection at bootup

#135 Post by thelash »

To get around the problem of a noisy hard drive and no boot from usb (which is slow old 1.1 anyway) in my IBM T22 laptop, I've set up boot from hd as usual with grub and the vmlinuz, initrd files then handover to usb stick in my usb 2 card bus on which I have the pup sfs and my pup save file. After much frustration with puppy 4.1 - which was not picking up my pcmcia card at boot and therefore bombed, I discovered that pup 217 recognises the card early enough in the boot process to load pup217.sfs and pupsave.2fs. I'm not very technical at all this, but was wondering what's in 217 that's not in 4.1 that enables me to do this, and could it be built into later puppies?

ubuntu

Using LINLD.COM for Ubuntu

#136 Post by ubuntu »

Hi,
I am trying to use the below config.sys (and Autoexec.bat) and the instructions from the big_pc_man posted a long time ago. However, I am using Ubuntu 10.10, for which I have change the original config.sys to:
LINLD.COM image=%drv%\casper\vmlinuz initrd=%drv%\casper\initrd.lz
(not sure what to use for cl=)

But it does not work. Do you think I can use LINLD.COM for Ubuntu? If yes, do you happen to know how?

Cheers,
cls
echo.
echo Checking any USB drive for marker file USBFLASH...
for %%x in ( C D E F ) do if exist %%x:\%usrinput%usbflash set drv=%%x:\%usrinput%
if "%drv%"=="" goto failed
:load
LINLD.COM image=%drv%vmlinuz initrd=%drv%initrd.gz cl=@linld\puppy.lin
goto end
:failed
type FAILMSG.TXT
:end
[/quote]