Need help with Epia porta-puppy project details

Using applications, configuring, problems
soulglo

Need help with Epia porta-puppy project details

#1 Post by soulglo »

I wish to build my very own puppy laptop, err mini laptop. i have already decided to go nanoatx, i can deal with the limitations. i wish to have my laptops dimensions when closed measure no more than 7.5"x7.5"x4". I am currently consumed by this idea, though i have no money, i fell asleep driving home from cleveland to columbus ohio and drove into a guard rail, totaled my car. well enough about me, how about introducing you to porta-puppy.

-VIA EPIA N Mainboard
-laptop battery and PS (?)
-custom case unless commercial solution is available
-LCD screen is undecided, must have 800x600 resolution and work with onboard video, also i need to engineer a way to run the lcd screen off the laptop battery, which of course i still havent been able to find.
-1/2-3/4 size kb
-mouse, dont need one, though a wireless one wouldnt be difficult to pull off with a usb hub and some extra baggage.

ok so i've only decided on one component, but bear with me, and please offer suggestions, and (constructive) criticism(sp?).
-
Attachments
porta.png
crude, i know, i need help
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

#2 Post by Guest »

You can get a small LCD screen for use in cars and small keypads but I'm not sure if they are alpha-numeric.

aahhaaa

#3 Post by aahhaaa »

I have an Epia M mini-ITX, it is quite happy with Puppy. :D

The N board is exciting, but also seriously expensive. ALso, it give up performance to be that 5"x5" size. However, you can plan a machine at no cost... :shock:

Your crash should give you an idea- find a totaled laptop or two to get parts like the LCD screen, lo-profile HD & DVDR, keyboard, power brick, etc. You can check eBay or with your insurance folks to find cheap units.

On the PS, there is a direct DC/DC card that clips to the mobo; the oversize & loud PS is the biggest aggravation about using these tiny boards. Thse are found on eBay and at sellers like http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2
another link: http://epialinux.org/

but... you really need to define what you want the machine to do. Otherwise you'll just end up with a clumsy case mod. For example, say you want to play/edit DVDs. Why not get an older,larger DVD player and build the N board into that existing case? Or into an old LP turntable or roundtop radio? Remember no matter how small the mobo, it connects to bigger stuff like printers, and ultimately- you. Think it through! :P