I need wireless help (solved - sort of)

flmckinney

I need wireless help (solved - sort of)

#1 Post by flmckinney »

Hello,

I am the newest of noobs (just so you will know).

I have Dingo full installed on my HP6643 (500 mhz processor, 192 mb ram, 40 gb hard drive). It is the only system on the machine and works beautifully. I do have the internet through the NIC. Works great.

I would like to go wireless with it. I have 2 USB wireless adapters (they are at least 2 years old) a Dlink DWL-G122 and a Dynex DS-BUSB and would like to use them (but I am not opposed to buying a new card or adapter). I do have the windows drivers for the ones that I have.

I have read somewhere that ndiswrapper is included in puppy - is that right?
if so how do I use it (keep it as simple as you can)?

Would I be better off just buying a wireless card? If so any suggestions.

Thanks
Last edited by flmckinney on Sun 10 Aug 2008, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Yes ndiswrapper is in Puppy.
I didn't find a driver in the list of Dingo405 modules for your wireless equipment. So your best bet might be ndiswrapper.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

flmckinney

#3 Post by flmckinney »

Thanks Beem,

I did find it and applied it with no success. I went out and bought a Linksys WMPG54G Ver 4.1 off the shelf at Best Buy ($40).

Poped it in my machine and Puppy recognized it and assigned a driver, I configured the profile and as quick as I got my WEP code right (I missed a digit) I was on the web - wireless.

I must say that I am very pleased with Puppy - it's just what I needed for my old machine.

Thanks for your help.