CS4297 Sound Chip

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Unicav

CS4297 Sound Chip

#1 Post by Unicav »

I finally got a full 4.0 install done on my IBM Thinkpad T22 this morning. My initial problem was I had to use EXT2 on the partition. EXT3 the files never completely copied. I'm very impressed with the speed of the system. I haven't seen anything else on this laptop that runs as fast. The file system will take some getting used to but that's no big deal.

Now the problem is I have no sound. The sound wizard finds the CS 42xx device (the chipset is a CS4297A) and the entire setup goes fine but there is no sound. I've looked at alsamixer, looked at the mixer applet, tried several tests but nothing. I've googled quite a bit but there's not much info yet on 4.0 and I've searched through the forums and howto's but haven't found anything yet that work.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Unicav

Fixed - PEBKAC

#2 Post by Unicav »

Turns out the T22 has volume buttons that are part of the amplifier and not just keyboard buttons. I had ignored them entirely thinking they would be dead without loading special modules but when I actually tried pressing them the sound was there.

Slackware 12.1 has changed their kernel around so that the sound on this chipset will not work at all. Nothing but static. But Puppy 4.0 found it, set it up and works like a charm. Thanks to the team for this distro, it's brought new life to this old dog!

gregerk

#3 Post by gregerk »

Thanks for the ultra-simple fix. Who'd a thought the keyboard sound buttons were still active? My Thinkpad A20m now barks like a real puppy. Thanks again.

Greg