Puppy Community Register

News, happenings
canbyte

#46 Post by canbyte »

What about a place for a newbie noob, level 0 or below! Thats me, Canbyte. I have other technical training, can write and being a bit pedantic, can think like a non geek. One problem as i see it is that good info is piecemeal, all over the place, getting access to it can be confusing and time consuming. So far i've spent 2 months on this go-round trying to get puppy working, plus a previous effort similarly unsuccessful. I hope i don't have to give up this time but until i get my oki printer working and either a usb drive or a lan share with a win98 box working, the project can only be considered experimental, subject to disillusionment/ abandonment. I need a system, not a Puppy box.

I've been reading till my eyes bleed - kind respondents' replies, the wiki, fora here and elsewhere, the manual, etc. While Puppy is a great box to use, this is not how i want to live my life. Volunteering to organize the info would be a far more satisfying use of my time. Although there is some benefit going through some pain to understand MY problem, it really doesn't do anything for Puppy. So lets make a deal. Somebody, get my @#$%^& system working, as Ecomoney is doing, I'll work endlessly on presenting / reorganizing info so non geeky newbies can get going or solve problems quickly, much as jhecht described. [I once saw a page that had topics that that the reader could expand as needed to show /print more detail.]

I'll be your border collie rounding up the bits and pieces!

-----------------------------------
Reorganize puppy home page to eliminate clicks.
Expand forum topics to encourage more permanent / developing topics.

So lets boogie.

Cheers.

mohan34u

#47 Post by mohan34u »

Me too, a level 1 puppy user, sometimes, contributor.

Often you can see my post with new .pet package. I love to create packages for puppy. Working in a Tech company, so I'm not able to spend my fulltime on puppy.
Last edited by mohan34u on Fri 01 May 2009, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

T_Hobbit

#48 Post by T_Hobbit »

Level 1 with some knowledge from level 2
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

ezeze5000

#49 Post by ezeze5000 »

Level 1.5 have donated hardware in the earlier development of Puppy.

Have performed a lot of full hard drive puppy installs.
Have had to trouble shoot hardware problems on old PCs to get puppy to run properly.

Keep burned copies of puppy handy for anybody that might want to try out Puppy. Have made a lot of converts!

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Max Headroom

Level 1.5 > Virtually Level 2

#50 Post by Max Headroom »

Level 1.5 > Virtually Level 2
First Puppies 1.05 Chubby, & 1.07, Many since...
First Linux Mandrake 9.0,
Other Linux includes Mandriva, Xandros, Suse, PC Linux OS, kNoppix, Kanotix, Simply Mepis, Sidux, Elive, Dream Linux, etc...
Other OSes Mac 10.2, M$ 3.1 for WorkGroups ( Basic Training Course ), W9X, W2K Pro & $erver, W2K3 $erver, XP, Vi$ta ( Don't go there! )
eNthusiatic, Keen Tester / User / Puppy Promoter
How can U & I Help?

We're Saving th' Planet by Keeping Old Working Hardware Out o' LandFills!

jabu2

#51 Post by jabu2 »

Jabu2

Level 1
user and tester

maybe more useful in areas such as
usability/ergonomics and practicability of productive software
and training users.
Editing of documentation.
30+ years experience
using Win playing with Lin

wkr

#52 Post by wkr »

Level 1
Some level 2 skills, so I can help as tester.
Last edited by wkr on Sun 03 May 2009, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

gposil

#53 Post by gposil »

gposil on Forum

Level 3

Programmed professionally in C/C++, Pascal and Java.

Was TAFE and University lecturer in IT before retiring and for many years a UNIX System Admin.

I've forgotten alot... :lol:
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

I've forgotten alot... :lol:
I remember my maths teacher in year 11 saying..."I've forgotten more than you know son!" :lol: (circa 1982...NSW)

Level 2. Doing some bash, html, xml, trying to learn Genie (no docs aarrgghh, must look at Python), created a few of wiki pages, and they are linked from there related apps, (thanks to zigbert :wink: )

Gotta love the power of Puppy. 8)
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 17 May 2009, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dejan555

#55 Post by dejan555 »

Level 2
I can make pets, sfs's and very simple bash scripts,
and a bit of html+css, I like playing with gimp

forum nickname dejan555
irc freenode nick daysleeper555

Similar enough to remember :D
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

samedog

#56 Post by samedog »

Hi all
.....well i am somewhere between level 2 and 3..xD

i have made some .pups, a few .pets, and one sfs (kde 3.5.9 full suite with qt 3.3.8 , now i'm working on kde4), i know a little bash script, assembler, fortran, basic, html, css, python and now i'm learning, php, and genie/vala, i'm also working on a wine derivate (like cedega, but writen in genie/vala), i have made some small linux distros with T2 and puppy unleashed core also some puppy derivates with kde and other fancy stuffs, i'm good at making things on the gimp (not pro but i can make a wallpaper...xD) and that's all with my "inner geek", in my other side i have introducied puppy to my friends/family, and teached them howto intall/use it, etc, in the university i was able to get the permission to set up 10 puppylinux machines (we have like 120~130 "Linux only" systems in the campus), and i'm always trying to get more people to use puppy here where i live.

I'm a electronics technician (Fernando Santiván technical high school,), and i'm now in second year of physical sciences and astronomy (i'm not sure if is called like that on english, maybe is more like theoretical physics or something) at the Concepción University, Chile

irc nick: samedog (active member, almost 24/7)
forum nick: samedog (not so active member, just sometimes)

cheers
(please help me to improve my english, point anything i have misspelled, or any syntax error, thanks)
<Rupp>ERROR: Communication problem with khotkeys, it probably crashed.
<Rupp>damn
<samedog>EPIC
<Rupp>FAIL
<samedog>hmm... pretty good for a signature..
<Rupp>XD

hondasid

#57 Post by hondasid »

Level 1.6

I know BASIC and some C++ and I am teaching myself how to use the Linux CLI. I have done a few remasters and am working on a few more. i have never made and .pets or anything, but a few icon packs that I posted on the forum. I spend a lot of time helping puppians with problems they may have on the support channel.

Look at my profile and there are many ways to get a hold of me. I'm happy to help in any way.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

bignono1

#58 Post by bignono1 »

Level -2
But: level 10 Puppy fan.

kazzamozz

Puppy Community Register

#59 Post by kazzamozz »

New to Puppy but love it.
Currently build Pcs and refurbish old systems, perfect for puppy.
Previously Started in help desk for CTos, MSDos based systems,
Windows from 3.1 up to Vista (hate them all now) Puppy convert.
Currently set up hardware and software for friends & relatives to keep my hand in the industry. Last lot convinced them to use Puppy!
Have numerous Computers and hardware that I can test all types of puppies on. Some of my current hardware.
Toshiba Pro Satellite, Acer Aspire One, EEE Box, EEE701, Apple Mini, Dell 6000&6100, Medion 8950, Dell GX520 & DHP plus a few more I've built and tinkered with. Lot's of external hardware etc I like to play with.
LCD Screens from 15" 24" 32" & to 62". (I'm a photo & DVD nut love new technology)
Anyway would rate me as

Level 1.5

ttuuxxx

Re: Puppy Community Register

#60 Post by ttuuxxx »

kazzamozz wrote:New to Puppy but love it.
Well welcome to puppy and to the forum :) There are few other users on here that recycle older pc's, hmmm really we should have forum thread "Puppy Recycles". Anyways if you need help with anything feel free to ask, we're pretty helpful around here.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

kazzamozz

Puppy Community Register

#61 Post by kazzamozz »

Thanks ttuuxxx

Not a bad idea re the forum thread: Puppy Recycles.
Since starting with puppy the forum has already taught me heaps, what I thought was scary is now a real challenge, when something doesn't work I scour the forums to find the answer and so far have succeeded.
Getting my Vodafone modem to work was the clincher. Now there's no looking back too Microsoft only forwards to puppy.........

Would be too glad to help where I can in relation to older hardware. I only recently turfed out a heap of old stuff (before I found puppy)
However I still have heaps of different systems and new ones too. Can't seem to help myself re hardware.
I fear after finding puppy by accident this will only make my addiction worse!

My goal now is promoting puppy to all and sundry who will listen
Yell it out loud and clear

POWER TO ALL PUPPIANS WATCH OUT MICROSOFT WE BITE!!
Last edited by kazzamozz on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#62 Post by Aitch »

I have a question

Does anyone know an easy way to categorize the posts here, so that people can may meet up/contact with others offering similar/related help....?

For Example: Colonel Schell is starting to organise updating manuals/info, [a much recognised need] and several have offered help here, but aren't linked to his announcement/ thread....

If you are interested....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47021

Aitch :)

scabz

#63 Post by scabz »

maybe level 2 i can make pets, and sfs files. i have only used linux for around 2 years.I started running web servers on windows and switched to linux, hell i still have a windows server still running cuzz just to lazy to switch to linux.If anyone needs files hosted or mirrored i have alot of space.i have very crude skills in html, and php. i am decent at mysql but used it mostly in my windows days.i have very bad writing skills and am not good at putting my thoughts to words.

I love puppy and have it on 6 of my 7 computers i use, well besides the one windows server.

i do not use irc much but can message me here on the forum.

William (Dthdealer)

#64 Post by William (Dthdealer) »

Level 1

Minimal programming knowledge of C and python
Self-taught HTML
Intermediate at shell scripts

I've never created a .pet nor a puplet but I have used Puppy for 2+ years now and I know how most of the system works.

Forums - William (Dthdealer), Dthdealer (William), Dthdealer

No registered IRC account, my nick is normally Dthdealer.

Saturn

#65 Post by Saturn »

username forum = saturn
puppy linux irc nickname = Xrter ,moderator

i'm barely a level two kinda between one and two to be honest in the fact that I am not totally new to puppy(been using it since 2006) but more to the fact that i know basic housekeeping tasks ,how to install and such and the only programming knowledge i have is a basic understanding of c,c++ and html
BUT!!!
I am a bandwith sponsor serving up a recorded eight gb's of pets a day according to host monster's aw stats program

and I am also trying to help the community out by starting a better, more robust and capable wikki with Iguleder in the hopes it will be on par with other major distro documentation such as debian and arch
we are looking to compose articles that are very through ,extensive, and easy to understand in plain english

more info here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53157

so ya I am level two guy just not too big on programming

that is all

thanks