Puppy's Future

News, happenings
gerry

#31 Post by gerry »

I'm just a user too- but what I think Puppy needs is a period of consolidation, where the developers get out of the "too busy writing new bugs to fix old ones" mentality. Test everything that Puppy should do, and fix it if it doesn't work.

Here's one to get your teeth into: my printer is not supported by Gutenprint, so I import a driver from the manufacturer. Abiword won't print. But some apps do: Ted, Gimp 2.4, and one or two more print with no problem. But Ted is not in the Puppy 4 repo... so I'm stuck on Puppy 301.

Debian works fine, so there's obviously something wrong with the way Abiword is integrated into Puppy- but did any developer test this situation?

Long live Puppy Linux!

Gerry

gerry

#32 Post by gerry »

And another one- why have a Puppy repository, with a few apps packaged as pets? If Puppy could as standard use the Debian or Slackware repos, you wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel for every app.

Gerry

starlyte

progess progress

#33 Post by starlyte »

:o I don't find a lot of talk about 64 bytes & x2 cores which are slowly but surely taking over from 32 as 32 did from 16bytes. I don't have an awful lot of time but i've been looking into it a little bit & soon i hope to look a big bit more.
it IS t-he futre & we mustn't forget it.
by the way, the guy who talked about Puppy for the blind or half blind like me has a super idea.
why not make an SFS?
sorry Barry not dictator anymore, sad news, but tje progress goes on... &on... :roll: Ciao amigos, see you soon...

Ray MK

#34 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

That might be why BK was considering compatibility with Intrepid
recently - it would allow puppy users access to app's in much the same
way that 3.01 does with slackware.

The latest Muppy is an outstanding example of what can be achieved.

So why not?

We will have to see if we can get Barry sufficiently fired up
to want to do it all again for us.

Or at least to give us a starter in the appropriate direction.

We might then be in a position to finish it here as we do with
existing Puppies.

As always - best regards - Ray

cb88

#35 Post by cb88 »

raffy I set up this sourceforge account not diciple... so if anyone wanted access they would need to PM me
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30