Kiosk mode Puppy. Locked down version of puppy. NEED IDEAS!!

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
nutts4life

Kiosk mode Puppy. Locked down version of puppy. NEED IDEAS!!

#1 Post by nutts4life »

OK,

so here's my idea:

I want to lockdown puppy so that a user can only perform certain tasks:
- Start / Run applications
- Save/Open files pn a portable USB stick

That's it!

I've decided on using XFCE as this allows for a kiosk mode, which stops the user changing the taskbar and I just like the WM.
I've also created two swappable menus which allows a setup and user mode.
The user mode ONLY allows the user to run applications, the user mode cannot do any configuration of puppy.

All good so far, i've covered only running applications and not allowing configuration.

So here's the problem:

How can i stop the user seeing anything except a USB device to save his/her files to. At the moment i'm using Thunar as it's a great file manager, but i allows none of the configuration i speak of.
Thunar is the perfect file manager for setup mode, but not for a user in user mode.

In user mode a user can see the 'root' shortcut, plus navigate back into the root filesystem. (as you would expect from a file manager).

What i need is to create an icon on the desktop with a link to a specific usb stick where my files are stored. On double click the usb device is opened, BUT you can't navigate into the root file system.

I can create the icon on the desktop using hotpup, no problems, but:

- I can't tell if it's the 'My files' USB stick unless i mount it first and check the filesystem. (Not such a problem)
- I don't have a file manager that stops the user seeing the root filesystem.

Of course this type of filemanager must be consistent in all apps when 'open' is clicked. On clicking 'open' in all apps, the user must only see the files on his/her usb stick.

Any ideas, concepts would be great!!!!!!

You guys are the best,

n4l

raffy

ntfs, saving

#2 Post by raffy »

If you use a live CD in Win machines, you may want to remove the NTFS writing capability of your Puppy. Look in (unzip) ntfs-3g pet so you will know which file to remove.

Also, removing the save routine from the /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script will negate whatever changes the user does to the system.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nutts4life

#3 Post by nutts4life »

Raffy,

Thanks for the advice. I have already got rid of the NTFS capability. But i will look a little closer at my packages now you have brought it up. Thanks.

I still like the idea of allowing the user the chance to change certain configurations. Although i have described this thread as 'kiosk mode'. I really mean 'basic user mode'.

I want to limit the basic users ability to configure the system and make the system safe from complexities.
Another mode:'setup mode' would allow a techie user to configure puppy properly.

I guess, i'm trying to make it easy to use for a non-techie. But have the configuration available if needed. But i guess this is about weighing up the options. If i can do all the 'setup' mode configuration when i build the OS, i don't need the setup mode!

But I would still like the basic user to be able to change their background or their bookmarks in firefox, for example.

So let's split this discussion:

Keeping a save file, (keeping shutdown.rc)

With a save file,The user MUST never have access to the filesystem.
Basically, if i only have a menu with applications then ther is no way of getting to the terminal or file manager.
My problem is specifically the filesystem. I want to be able to ensure that the user can't navigate to any other area other than his / her usb, if he/sher wants to view the usb. And if they click open in any application, then ONLY the Usb is opened.

The advantages are: You can configure puppy configuration (wallpapers, internet connection et...)
Disadvantages: You have to make use the 'basic mode user' can't access any of the filesystem.

Removing the shutdown.rc

If i were to remove shutdown.rc, how can i allow the user the ability to configure some of the parts of the system/applications, let's take a few example:

Firefox profile - I could place the firefox profile on the usb stick which is writeable.
puppy wallpaper - This could be quite difficult, but i could potentially create a link of /root/.config/xfce to the usb stick. ( I would say this wasn't advised!
Sylpheen mail and configuration - Same applies to firefox profile, i could point this at the usb stick.

Advantages: It doesn't matter on what the user can do or see on the OS, as they can't change anything anyway.
Disadvantages: It heavily limites and adds complexities to any configuration needed by the user / setup user.

In conclusion:

I guess it's a comparison against how much configurability i should give to the user. If i can fix puppy configuration, but make application configuration available, i could remove shutdown.rc and use the usb stick as a read/write. Therefore it doesn't matter if the user can go into the root filesystem as it won't make any difference.

If i want some limited puppy configuration, then it could get complicated.

Any thoughts on these ideas? Any ideas about a file manager just for a usb stick?

Thanks,
n4l

technosaurus

#4 Post by technosaurus »

Why not just remove ntfs (and fat32?) support? You could still write to FAT formatted usb. Maybe remove /dev/hdXX? and disable it in Pmount

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

:)

remove rxvt
change keyboard (there is a menu way of doing this) so that ctrl + alt + backspace does not take you to a prompt
Lateral thinking: At the kiosk entrance offer the usage of hats with propellers on them
Keep an eye on anyone wearing one . . . :lol:

I also believe either Nathan (Grafpup) or Pizzasgood added a password login for Puppy . . .
http://grafpup.org/news/?page_id=243
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D