Extras for Puppy 4.1 alpha5

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
jakfish

#31 Post by jakfish »

Thank you for such clear instructions. Results:

1) with test2: toggle on blue led, but no wifi connect. This happens both with wifi enabled/disabled in BIOS

2) with test3 and wifi enabled in BIOS, once toggled off, Ath0 remains a visible choice in Network Wizard, which allows a user to play with reconnection. But in Test and Configure, ultimately, the error is "unable to connect to network."

When wifi disabled in BIOS, enabling wifi in Alpha 5 does not bring up Ath0 as a choice in Network Wizard. Ethernet is the only selection.

3) amixer set Master toggle still does not allow volume mute

Sorry that the news isn't better yet,
Jake

tempestuous

#32 Post by tempestuous »

I'm stumbling in the dark here. It seems that the wifi device cannot be re-enabled after being switched off with the asus_acpi module. In case anyone's interested, this is the command which switches it off -

Code: Select all

echo 0 > /proc/acpi/asus/wlan
and this should (!?) switch it back on -

echo 1 > /proc/acpi/asus/wlan
So our last resort is to include the "pciehp" and "pci_hotplug" modules. The forum currently won't allow attachments, so download here -
http://minipc.org/ipup/download/asus_ac ... test04.pet
A toggle from off to on now causes the pciehp module to unload/reload, then the device is switched on, then the ath_pci module is loaded. Be patient after turning the wifi on, there could be a delay of up to five seconds.
Should you try this with wifi disabled in bios? I really don't know. Worth a try, I suppose.

jakfish

#33 Post by jakfish »

Rats. With Test4 pet, Alpha 5, and eee 900, I get no wifi after toggling back on. Blue led continues to return, however.

Unlike test3 pet, after toggling back on, I get no ath0 option in Network Wizard. When wifi is disabled in BIOS, I can only get the led to light upon toggling on, but no ath0 option appears in Network Wizard.

There is indeed that hitch you warned about--the led light takes 2-3 seconds to come on, so the script seems to be doing its thing.

At this point, I've consecutively loaded all test pets, rebooted inbetween, and continue to load modprobe led-class after loading modprobe asus_acpi, followed by acpid

Jake

tempestuous

#34 Post by tempestuous »

Well I just found an interesting document on the MADWiFi site about this subject -
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/MiniPCI
You will see that one suggestion is to load the ath_pci module with the "rfkill=0" parameter which instructs the driver to ignore hardware commands to switch off.
The only problem is that all recent ath_pci versions are supposed to observe this behaviour by default, so I can't see that it should make any difference .. but I guess it's worth a try. Test05 now attached.
Attachments
asus_acpi-hotkeys-test05.pet
(867 Bytes) Downloaded 338 times

jakfish

#35 Post by jakfish »

I successfully installed test5 pet, but I'm still not getting wifi connection on toggle on, with or without wifi enabled in BIOS.

One thing different--that 2-3 second delay when toggling on is now gone. The led instantly lights. Do you think the pciehp, etc. are still going through their proper unload/load?

I admire your perserverance and can only offer my own in return--I'll continue testing this as long as you can stand it.

Jake

kuapao

qc-usb for k2.6.25.16?

#36 Post by kuapao »

tempestuous wrote:Puppy already contains several webcam drivers such as ibmcam, konicawc, ultracam, vicam, pwc, and the third-party uvcvideo module added recently by Barry.
Puppy4.1alpha5 also includes the quickcam_messenger module, but this supports only one of the many Logitech QuickCam models; device id 046D 08F0.

Attached is the "qcmessenger" driver which supports these QuickCam models:
046D 08DA
046D 08F6
046D 08F5
046D 08F0

Also attached is the "gspca" webcam driver, which supports a broad range of webcams. Full list here:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
Both driver packages include the "MAKEDEV-V4L.sh" script to create V4L device nodes ... but I'm not sure if this is needed. Barry's new udev/pupevent mechanisms may create the necessary device nodes automatically?
Hi tempestuous, do you have or will you post a PET or SFS file for qc-usb 0.6.6 for kernel 2.6.25.16? I tried compiling it but have been getting errors:

make -C "/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/build" SUBDIRS="/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6" modules V=1 USER_OPT="-DHAVE_UTSRELEASE_H=1"
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.16'
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (            \
        echo;                                                           \
        echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";               \
        echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";      \
        echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";  \
        echo;                                                           \
        /bin/false)
mkdir -p /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/.qc-driver.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.2.2/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude  -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2  -fno-stack-protector -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -march=i486 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign   -DNOKERNEL -DHAVE_UTSRELEASE_H=1  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(qc_driver)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(quickcam)" -c -o /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/.tmp_qc-driver.o /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c
In file included from /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c:47:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/quickcam.h:129:1: warning: "BIT" redefined
In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:15,
                 from include/linux/cache.h:4,
                 from include/linux/time.h:7,
                 from include/linux/videodev2.h:59,
                 from include/linux/videodev.h:16,
                 from /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/quickcam.h:95,
                 from /initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c:47:
include/linux/bitops.h:6:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c: In function 'qc_i2c_init':
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c:824: error: 'struct urb' has no member named 'lock'
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c:825: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c: In function 'qc_isoc_start':
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c:1867: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c: At top level:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.c:3009: error: unknown field 'hardware' specified in initializer
make[2]: *** [/initrd/mnt/dev_save/NEW_DATA/installers20/deletemelater/qc-usb-0.6.6/qc-driver.o] Error 1
I have Puppy 4.11 with devx_411.sfs and kernel-src-2.6.25.15-patched-puppy4.1.sfs loaded.

tempestuous

#37 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 4.1 already has two other modules for QuickCam devices: "quickcam_messenger" and "qcmessenger".
So first let's check that the qc-usb driver is actually necessary. Please plug in your webcam and run this command -

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and report the "Vendor" and "ProdID" values for your webcam.

kuapao

#38 Post by kuapao »

tempestuous wrote:Puppy 4.1 already has two other modules for QuickCam devices: "quickcam_messenger" and "qcmessenger".
So first let's check that the qc-usb driver is actually necessary. Please plug in your webcam and run this command -

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and report the "Vendor" and "ProdID" values for your webcam.

Here you go!
P: Vendor=046d ProdID=0840 Rev= 1.00
S: Product=Camera

tempestuous

#39 Post by tempestuous »

OK, your webcam device 046d 0840 definitely requires the qc-usb driver.
I just compiled it for Puppy 4.1.x here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 590#251590

kuapao

thanks for qc-usb driver for k2.6.25.16!

#40 Post by kuapao »

tempestuous wrote:OK, your webcam device 046d 0840 definitely requires the qc-usb driver.
Thank you! Will install it week after next (am on vacation).

kuapao

Re: thanks for qc-usb driver for k2.6.25.16!

#41 Post by kuapao »

kuapao wrote:
tempestuous wrote:OK, your webcam device 046d 0840 definitely requires the qc-usb driver.
Thank you! Will install it week after next (am on vacation).
Thanks, tempestuous. I installed it today without problems. It detected my webcam just fine. My next task is to search for tips on fixing the pixelated image (as seen from skype's Test function)...