Puppy 4.00 Unleashed

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
aspr1n

Puppy 4.00 Unleashed

#1 Post by aspr1n »

Hi all,

I am building a minimal unleashed Puppy 4.00, and the documentation appears to be as sparse as my build ;-)

What are the minimum packages required either for a standard or barebones. The docs don't say what the difference actually is but:

On a barebones - I get a "Making the filesystem usable.... failed" message because grep isn't found in the busybox distribution package

If I build a standard it fails after login because bash isn't found - changing /etc/profile to SHELL=ASH then produces the same error as for barebones. Which is doubly odd because before that I don't get a "filesystem usable.. failed" message before changing to ASH.

What packages are the minimum requirements for a barebones build? Were can I get a full busybox with GREP without having to compile my own? I assume it must already exist in some package?

Interestingly, with the SHELL=BASH in standard I get a "login on pts/0" message before failure - any ideas what that means as well?

Cheers,

asp

aspr1n

#2 Post by aspr1n »

Got it - being a muppet.

solid

#3 Post by solid »

I hope to learn how to do what you were talking about, create a 'barebones' puppy. Would you outline which packages you used to make that work? It would be very helpful to have this resource in the future.

Thank you,
Solid

aspr1n

#4 Post by aspr1n »

Hi Solid,

This doesn't work really anything like the UL docs suggest, so I wouldn't recommend this unless you have *lots* of time on your hands to figure it out!

It's taken me almost a 4 days to get it booting correctly networked. The key though is definitely building your own rootfsskeleton package for the UL ./createpuppy script to use.

Also, bear in mind, at the very least you will be manually hacking your:

Libraries - there are loads missing, and it is a trial and error process finding them
Kernel modules - as the script doesn't add the correct ones
Network card - as the script doesn't create any networking
Keyboard - as the script doesn't create the correct keymap file in /etc - boot hangs without it

..and that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head!

See this thread in "Cutting Edge": http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31481

BTW - I'd also recommend building in VMWare - you will be doing *lots* of rebooting - and this makes it simpler!

asp