DingoPlus

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
alejobar

how to customize dingo plus?

#61 Post by alejobar »

first of all thanks for Dingo Plus it really runs great and save the trouble to install open office.

I was wondered how can I customize a little bit more my puppy, I want to uninstall abiword and any other office like program just to keep open office, change seamonkey for firefox and maybe change the gxine player too.

How can I uninstall this programs and how can I create new shortcuts (desktop and menu) for the new programs?

Thanks in advance for your help 8)

davesurrey

#62 Post by davesurrey »

@Volsung.
If you go to the eee forums you'll see plenty of folk who have had lots of trouble with SDHC cards, and even SD cards below 2GB capacity. Apparently the eee 701 is not spec'd for SDHC cards (ie above 2GB) although it works with some and not others. The SD card reader may not be the best. :(
Myself, I am using an 8GB Patriot card and have been lucky.

The problem with the Pet Package Manager resizing seems to be specific to that application. I can resize other windows it's just in that applic that it doesn't work. Roll on 4.1

I have to say that I really like Puppy Dingo and feel it would be just right for my Eee. BUT...and it's a big but, I have yet to get it all working. I can get Dingo working well on my desktop. I can get other distros like Mandriva working on the Eee but the combination of Puppy and Eee is proving to be ellusive for me. I am not convinced it's an installer issue but feel its more likely to do with booting and grub. But so far I've asked on both forums and not really got a clear answer as to the stanzas for grub in this case. One day perhaps....one day.
Good luck.
Dave

Volsung

#63 Post by Volsung »

So after getting a card reader and using it to install from my desktop, I have gotten puppy to run from my 8 gig SDHC card. A couple of snags I ran into:

Writing the save file to the SD card seems problematic with freezing... I think I will check out the eee forums for info on the SD card reader as per davesurrey's post. Going to try again with a normal 2 gig SD card (as opposed to SDHC).

Can't get it to use the external monitor. Is it just that the keybinding for the Fn + F5 is not set up? I have not had problems with puppy on other laptops to do this. Can't seem to find any options to enable VGA out manually. More research needed perhaps.

@davesurrey:
What problems have you been having installing it/booting it? I don't see them mentioned here. Are you booting from SD card, flash drive, or did you wipe the internal SSD and try to boot from that?
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]

iains

Dingoplus eeepc900 -

#64 Post by iains »

I've just created a USB key for my eeepc which is normally running Ubuntu (lean - Intrepid) quite happily.

I can boot DP OK but when I try to setup wireless it sees my adaptor (using WEP) when scanning but when I try to configure it it fails. The message attached to icon(foot of screen) says I have
sent/received 9.63Kb/47.06Kb on wifi0
but nothing on ath0

Any ideas ? :
iain

droope

#65 Post by droope »

Hi people,

Can anyone give me a hand in enabling sound? I would really apreciate it. I have already tried the puppy default options for configuring it, but it seems that it doesn't want to work... :(

Cheers!, and thanks
Droope