Wifi notworking G122 RT73 chipset

wedge22

Wifi notworking G122 RT73 chipset

#1 Post by wedge22 »

I am new to Linux and I have been trying my hardest to get wifi working on my Puppy 4.0 install. The network wizard finds the wifi usb device and installs the RT73 driver for it. I run my network with static IP's which i assign to all the networked devices. I also use WPA2 for security. My wifi device appears to work and blinks alot but the pc will not connect to the web or ping anything on the network. Please help me out.

wrathkeg

#2 Post by wrathkeg »

Hi Wedge22,

For what it's worth, I can confirm that the G122 (rev C1, anyway) can work out of the box.

I was having the same problems as you (everything looks to work, but actually doesn't connect) until I set up my router properly. See my post from yesterday: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31629. So you might check your router settings *very* carefully... Also, I am using WEP security and DHCP (haven't tried WPA and static IPs,since DHCP is working fine noe). Have you tried disabling securing on the router, and then trying to connect?

WK

wedge22

#3 Post by wedge22 »

Thanks for the tip, I have a ?Dlink router too so I will look for the option to save and reboot the router after making changes. I already changed to DHCP from static and made the WPA2 key 10 characters in length. I can try WEP but do not want to use it all the time as its not so secure. By disabling securing do you mean just turning off all security?

wrathkeg

#4 Post by wrathkeg »

Yes, you could turn off security just for a few minutes while you see if you can connect. Then, if you can connect (like I could when I tried), you know that it's security that's (probably) the issue. If you still can't connect, you know that the problems lie somewhere else.

Incidentally, have you tried this how to?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469
This is what, in the end, I used. You have to be willing to try out the command line, but that's no big deal, and the instructions are very good. One thing about working from the command line is that it let me see that the laptop wasn't talking to the router. The GUI network wizard doesn't really tell you that kind of thing. This is worth a look too:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29664
WK

wedge22

#5 Post by wedge22 »

I turned off all security and everything worked fine. I just cannot get WPA2 to connect to my router. I have tried all of the options in the links with no luck. I have noticed that when I type route into the console it does not show the correct route but I do not know how to change this.

wrathkeg

#6 Post by wrathkeg »

good that it's working. But I'm afraid that's as much help as I can give you this time. like I said, I am using WEP for security.