The Future of TEENpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

The Future of TEENpup

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
As I watch the developement of Puppy Linux with versions 3 and 4 and the ever increasing number of versions based on Puppy 3 and 4 that are finding new users, I now know where I want TEENpup to head.

TEENpup Like most of the versions based on Puppy have been created by Users who originally started with the standard Puppy iso and wanted more. After they had created a version of Puppy that fitted their needs, they decided to share it with other Puppy users.

So what I'm trying to say is that TEENpup is the creation of someone who just wants to keep improving each release and refining the basic concept. While I have done many experiments with both Puppy 3 and 4 series, I prefer the older 2 series as it suits my hardware better.

With this in mind I have decided to do a "DSL" and keep the same Kernel and Puppy version (2.14) and see how far I can push it.
This is what makes me happy and seeing I do this in my spare time as a hobby this is where TEENpup is now heading. So if this upsets some users who are waiting for a version of TEENpup based on later versions of Puppy, I'm sorry.

While some of you will see this as a negative, for others this could be a real positive. How?

Say you have an old Pentium II or III and can't afford a newer PC but would like a modern looking fast reliable Operating System then future TEENpup's might just fill that need.

I can promise you that the next release of TEENpup will be again an improvement in Look and Feel over TEENpup 2008 as well as coming with improvements in useability.

I've been spending alot of time on some Windows Forums seeing what turns them on so to speak and seeing how some ideas can be added to TEENpup.

I now sadly feel that while it is very important for an Operating System to be reliable and useable, It's equally important for an Linux based O/S to look the part if it is to find new users.

Lastly I'm now get the feeling in the Linux community that an Linux O/S much run the lastest versions of every package available even if that package or packages contain more bugs than the previous version to be acceptable.
For example take KDE 4, Distro's like Fedora, OpenSuse and others have added KDE 4 as their default desktop even though it's not ready for general use, upsetting their user base.

Why? Isn't having a reliable O/S more important then being able to say your Distro comes with the lastest and greatest Linux has to offer.

I know that these Distros have added KDE 4 to help push its developement and It will get better, but at what cost to the end user.

So while TEENpup will continue to be built on an older Puppy base, please don't see this as a reason to look else where for a usable modern O/S.
For me a reliable version of a package is more important than the latest version of that package. If it comes with magic 3D effects but crashes all the time, how useful is it really.

OK I've said my piece, time to get back to refining what will be the next new version of TEENpup that's still based on an old but reliable version of Puppy.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

For me a reliable version of a package is more important than the latest version of that package. If it comes with magic 3D effects but crashes all the time, how useful is it really.
Not very.
Reliability and usability is now my priority.

Fix it till it breaks is not a realistic position.
However it depends if you are tweaking or using . . .

I have found Compiz to be very stable and usable.
WNOP and TIgerPup demonstrate their usage very well . . .
KDE in any version is no where near as simple and pleasant to use as xfce.

Now that JWM is stable and attractive I hear we may be moving to Openbox :shock: .

Good luck with Teenpup. :)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 14 Jul 2008, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

go

#3 Post by raffy »

Go go go JohnB - I share your views.

However, some hardware may be new but old in speed, for example, the Geode (LX 700 in the Wizbook) or the Atom in the new Intel-based UMPCs.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Roger Hunter

#4 Post by Roger Hunter »

Right on John;

2.14 is my favorite version of Puppy so anything based on it is off to a headstart.

But I'd reconsider the name. I think I bypassed teenpup
thinking it would be nothing but games and multimedia.

Roger

Roger Hunter

#5 Post by Roger Hunter »

Ha!

I was right, it is/was for teens. It also was harder to install that most other derivatives. Somehow vmlinuz didn't get installed in the root. Putting it there manually may not be the right thing to do because while it boots now, the icons don't always work.

It also grabbed the wrong pup_save file and ended up part Vuppy but other CDs do that too.

Roger

brymway

#6 Post by brymway »

While I agree with you JohnBiles about most of what you said about the look and feel of OS's, reliability with other plug-n-play type things would do wonders in swaying my family. We have a windows OS computer that my wife want's to keep because I've yet to pop in a distro that I can get one of our three printers working on. None of the many puppy distros I play with will recognize any usb attachment ie camera, printer, ipod, although I must say maybe it's just operator headspace. Maybe I need to spend another weekend trying. (sigh) So, if you stay with the earlier kernel and 2.xx series, will it be compromising on recognizing the new stuff?

I ask because I have a 13 and a 15 year old daughter that use the computer for the same things. Chat, music, online flash games, onboard games. Whenever I put in a new distro and announce to the house that I have a new one in and for everybody to check it out, that's the first things they check. They now know how to navigate thru the majority of Linux style distros (*sniff-I'm so proud!*) and they look for those things. Also, when I put TEEN in for the first time and asked how my wife liked it, she said it was her favorite one so far, she liked the layout of TEEN the best.

Also, all the neat bells and whistles like the synth and stuff keep my kids entertained for a while. So, while I am a complete Puppy Linux convert, I'm still trying to bring my family over from the dark side. But until I get those few glitches ironed out, it probably won't happen. If your target audience is the people I have mentioned, then I hope this helps. TEEN is a solid distro with my family, I just hope it is the one that sways them.

Thanks for all the hard work you put into it.

cb88

#7 Post by cb88 »

xfce.... xfce4 worthless piece of bloatware... (obviously a little sarcasm there)

The full rox desktop is the desktop of the future

my current setup on ubuntu hardy (may as well have been puppy though the setup was non trivial) and yes that is compiz :-) :

btw so far Rox has ran like a rock.... pun intended of course

john you might wanna give the option to use rox as the desktop since it is kind of a freebie in puppy since it is already the file manager just launch it with xwin rox -S

oh and openbox ....pfft OroboROX FTW!!!
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

John,

whatever you decide to do, adhere to the puppy philosophy of doing what you enjoy. Otherwise, if you try & cater to everyone's wishes, it will need to be more like windows, less like windows, more kde-ish, more gnome-ish, bigger, smaller, with this app, without this app etc.

Roger Hunter

#9 Post by Roger Hunter »

Hi John;

Finally have TeenPup correctly installed but still having problems.

Many of the icons don't work until clicked on multiple times.

Once they work, they will continue to work but only by double clicking ala Windoze.

Have you tried Rox Desktop on Teen?

Roger

john biles

#10 Post by john biles »

Hello Roger Hunter,
To change desktop icons to one click to open instead of 2 do the following.
Open ROX and right mouse click and then select "options" now click on "pinboard" and there you will see that the "single click to open" box under "Pinboard Behaviour" is unticked. Tick it and you should be right to go.

As for your ipod, you may what to give this how to a go and let me know if it works.
I didn't write it. someone else on the forum did and got their ipod working with Puppy.
Attachments
ipod connecting how to.tar.gz
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

Roger Hunter

#11 Post by Roger Hunter »

john biles wrote:Hello Roger Hunter,
To change desktop icons to one click to open instead of 2 do the following.
Open ROX and right mouse click and then select "options" now click on "pinboard" and there you will see that the "single click to open" box under "Pinboard Behaviour" is unticked. Tick it and you should be right to go.
Thanks, I'll try that. Does it work on other Puppy distros too?

Later; I tried it and there's no mention of pinboard.

Still later: Never mind, I found it. Excuse my ignorance.
As for your ipod, you may what to give this how to a go and let me know if it works.
I didn't write it. someone else on the forum did and got their ipod working with Puppy.
?? I don't have an iPod.

Roger

john biles

#12 Post by john biles »

Sorry Roger Hunter,
The comment about the ipod was meant for brymway.
Also brymway what printer models do you have?

brymway

#13 Post by brymway »

HP Desktop D2330

Canon PIXMA iP 1700

Epson Stylus C88

john biles

#14 Post by john biles »

Hello brymway,

I had a look around for the Printer Drivers you require and found this.

HP Desktop D2330 - I've attached a file that might work, just drag and drop into /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds/HP and run the cups wizard again and see if you can select the version called "d2300 series". Please let me know if it works this is really important as I did something thats not the norm to create it.

Canon PIXMA iP 1700 - went to canon site and they say Canon PIXMA ip2200 Driver has been known to work with your printer. I tried to download but they require a serial number from your printer.

Epson Stylus C88 - already in TEENpup 2008

If you haven't found it yet in the help-info folder, there's info on using Konqueror as your printer wizard.
Good Luck.
Attachments
hp-deskjet_d2300_series-hpijs.ppd.gz
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

brymway

#15 Post by brymway »

John biles, thank you for those tips. As soon as I get a free block of time I'll sit down and have a go with the file you attached and I will get back to you and let you know the outcome. Thanks again for spending time on that.

brymway

#16 Post by brymway »

Well I tried it but it didn't list the printer after adding printer using the cups printer manager. I did just like you said, used your ppd, stuck it in the folder then ran cups manager and setup the printer. The ppd file WAS in the choice list and I chose it, but when I finished configuring the printer and opened Abiword and tried to print, all it had was the ghostscript and pdf.

But I did figure out that the file that is downloadable from the pet manager does have a driver for my printer and I'm pretty sure it's gonna work when I use Dingo.

But I am willing to try things with my TEEN live cd if you like. Just lemme know. Again thanks for spending the time to help.