USB wireless adapter problem

ravenreturns

USB wireless adapter problem

#1 Post by ravenreturns »

Hey guys,
Interested in using puppy on my Toshiba 3040 CDT laptop due to it being old and wanting to have something less demanding and able to connect through a WLAN.
Had a little go with it last night from a live CD using the official Dingo 4.0 and everything was wonderfully straight forward without a hitch. BUt, when trying to set up the wirless USB adapter i had a problem.

Using the Graphical connections wizard, i tried autoprobing all of the preinstalled drivers to see if anything happened but no luck. I then located the .inf file to use ndiswrapper but this came up with the error "invalid driver," although i do know this is the definite inf file for sure as it states the name of my USB adapter.

The adapter i am trying to use is a linksys WUSB54GSV2. Any suggestions on how to get this to work? Should i continue trying ndiswrapper or is there any other alternative?

Many thanks

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Apparently the WUSB54GS V2 has a Broadcom chipset. There have been Linux drivers available for Broadcom-based PCI/Cardbus devices available for quite a long time, but Broadcom-based USB support has only become available recently since the 2.6.25 kernel was released.
So wait for Puppy4.1, and your driver will be "rndis_wlan".
Or if you want to jump in early, try Puppy4.1alpha4 -
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00219

ravenreturns

#3 Post by ravenreturns »

Thanks a heap mate :D I'll wait for now and test it on a live cd in good time