want to make custom puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hondasid

want to make custom puppy

#1 Post by hondasid »

I have customized puppy to a fairly awesome little system, based on puppy 3.01, running nes, snes, genesis, and n64 emulators, tons of games, frostwire, open office, java, wine, gweled, firefox, gnome libraries (without gnome), and sdl libraries. I have it running on a dell dimension 2400 (have heard this is dell's worst system ever) and an hp xt 998. Both of these units have less than 500mb of RAM and under 1.2 GHZ processor, with kinda crappy graphics. I have had no problems, other than kind of slow with high graphics on the hp.

First, there are a lot of stock programs that I want to remove, simply because I have replaced them with better ones. I have no clue how to do this.

Secondly, I have heard that if you install a dotpet or potpup that isn't registered with petget, it won't install with remaster live cd. Is this true? If it is, how do you get around it. A number of my programs are dotpets that i made using tgz2pet.

Finally, I want to make icewm the default window manager when it is remastered.

I really think this is an awesome system and I almost have to where it will completley replace a windows system. I just need a little help to finish it up.

polymath

#2 Post by polymath »

use puppy unleashed... Just download the .tar.gz file and you're pretty much ready to go.

technosaurus

#3 Post by technosaurus »

i highly doubt you want to throw away all your hard work and start over using unleashed - a quick and dirty method is to get petbegone version 0.4.1 (or whatever the latest release is) it will remove pretty much any pre-installed pet package

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Secondly, I have heard that if you install a dotpet or potpup that isn't registered with petget, it won't install with remaster live cd. Is this true? If it is, how do you get around it. A number of my programs are dotpets that i made using tgz2pet.
Is that how it works? I almost never use the remaster script, so I wasn't aware of this. I don't know if you just heard incorrectly, or if I am just ignorant. Try it and see. Won't hurt anything.

I do know that the remaster script has a tendency to ignore files in an attempt to make an iso that isn't dependent on specific hardware.

If you're right and it skips those files, or if it skips other files that you want, you can force it to use them by manually copying them when the script pauses and tells you the filesystem is in /tmp.

Actually, at that point you could just copy /usr, /etc, and /root into the filesystem it set up, which would ensure that the vast bulk of the stuff you want is included. Make sure you go into it afterward and remove the etc/.XLOADED file, or it'll give you an error the first time you boot it (will still work after a 30 delay, or after pressing enter, whichever comes first). That file is hidden - press the "eye" button to make it visible.

EDIT: What you said sounds like I've heard it before. We used to have two or three different remaster scripts. What you mentioned sounds like the first one, before we got the one we have now. I don't think the current one does that.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]