eeetiger

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bingobetty

nice distro - my experiance of eeetiger

#91 Post by bingobetty »

Gotta say I love this but was having some sound problems. I got the sound working (on an eee701) for the media player but then on reboot no sound whatsoever.

What worked for me (after a few trys).

Firstly set the xfce mixer "wannabe master" to "front,0"

Then in the music player app that gave choppy sound set the sound driver to ALSA.

Now I can say I fooking love it! Booted off an SD card on the train from London and peeps were looking over their shoulders at the compiz effects and stuff!

Top work everyone!

LaneLester

#92 Post by LaneLester »

I guess I'm doomed to not run Puppy on the Eee PC. I failed with Breeezy, Puppeee, and eeeTiger. The interesting thing to me is that the symptoms were completely different in every case.

I tried eeeTiger last, and it seemed the simplest and most foolproof approach... although evidently not proof against this fool.

When I selected the USB stick to boot, the Eee quit with "Missing operating system." I looked at the files on the stick, and I noticed that not all of the ones from the .iso were on there. But adding them didn't make any difference.

Both gparted and fdisk showed the stick as bootable. I had used gparted to create an ext2 partition.

The only thing I did out of the procedure was put a zero-byte pup_400.sfs file in the .iso directory. This was needed, because I was doing this in Dingo. I then deleted it from the USB stick before testing it.

Later: Having tried it on a 512 MB stick, I decided to try a 2 GB. While going through the installer, I was reminded about the possible necessity of trying different boot sector things. I had taken the default on the 512 MB stick, and this time I took the mbr.bin approach. The difference when I tried it was the "Missing OS" message just flashed on the screen, and then it immediately went to the Xandros on the internal flash drive.

Lane

Lane

dinky

#93 Post by dinky »

Hi Lane, your problem might be that you're using Dingo. Haven't extensively tested it, but I think the installer for flash medium is hosed. Try downloading the TigerPup iso (parent of eeetiger) and burning that onto a live cd. Then run the 'universal puppy installer', and follow the same steps to create a bootable usb stick. After that, pull the eeetiger files from the iso, and copy them onto the usb in place of the TigerPup files. This should solve your problems. Don't give up, we'll definitely get it going. The other thing to check are the settings in your bios. You need to change your hard disk boot priority... should recognize the usb as another hard drive. Let me know how you go. TigerPup is here: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup/current

~dinky

aarf

#94 Post by aarf »

LaneLester wrote:I guess I'm doomed to not run Puppy on the Eee PC. I failed with Breeezy, Puppeee, and eeeTiger. The interesting thing to me is that the symptoms were completely different in every case.

I tried eeeTiger last, and it seemed the simplest and most foolproof approach... although evidently not proof against this fool.

When I selected the USB stick to boot, the Eee quit with "Missing operating system." I looked at the files on the stick, and I noticed that not all of the ones from the .iso were on there. But adding them didn't make any difference.

Both gparted and fdisk showed the stick as bootable. I had used gparted to create an ext2 partition.

The only thing I did out of the procedure was put a zero-byte pup_400.sfs file in the .iso directory. This was needed, because I was doing this in Dingo. I then deleted it from the USB stick before testing it.

Later: Having tried it on a 512 MB stick, I decided to try a 2 GB. While going through the installer, I was reminded about the possible necessity of trying different boot sector things. I had taken the default on the 512 MB stick, and this time I took the mbr.bin approach. The difference when I tried it was the "Missing OS" message just flashed on the screen, and then it immediately went to the Xandros on the internal flash drive.

Lane

Lane
more than occasionally EeePC fails to see the plugged usb. Hold down the escape key when booting and confirm that the usb is in the choices . If it exist there selected it, if it is not there reboot and replug the flash drive. Press/hold the escape key on each boot to be sure of booting what you want.

LaneLester

#95 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:Hi Lane, your problem might be that you're using Dingo. Haven't extensively tested it, but I think the installer for flash medium is hosed. Try downloading the TigerPup iso (parent of eeetiger) and burning that onto a live cd. Then run the 'universal puppy installer', and follow the same steps to create a bootable usb stick. After that, pull the eeetiger files from the iso, and copy them onto the usb in place of the TigerPup files.
Thanks for the help, dinky! It worked perfectly, even though I cheated and let the installer put the eee files directly on the usb. The first time I ran the installer, it asked me where the files were located, and I pointed to a directory where I had extracted the .iso. Then I had to exit and use gparted, because the installer couldn't use the ext2 on the usb. I changed it to fat16, and I'm pretty sure when I ran the installer again, it didn't ask me where the files were. Maybe it saved that info from the first run.

With compiz on the eee, it's like having a new video game to play with! I used compiz with Xubuntu a while back, but I didn't stick with it, because I wanted functionality more than eye candy. I might have gotten things the way I wanted them, but the controls were too confusing and I couldn't find any decent help.

And thanks, aarf, for your suggestion. I've never had any trouble with the usb sticks getting recognized. I wish I could say the same thing for the SD card. I have a 4 GB in there, and it seems totally random whether or not it is seen.

Lane

LaneLester

eeeTiger on an SD Card?

#96 Post by LaneLester »

Now that I have eeeTiger working on a USB flash drive, I thought it would be neater to have it on an SD card that doesn't stick out. I have a 1 GB card with a fat16 partition. In the Eee PC I copied the files from the USB to the SD, but it wouldn't boot.

Is there a different approach I should try?

Lane

dinky

#97 Post by dinky »

Hi Lane, a few things to try. Firstly, make sure you set the boot flag on your SD card otherwise it won't work. Running eeetiger, pen gparted with you sd card in (don't mount it), then set the boot flag. After that, copy ALL the filess from your usb unto the SD card, except the pup_save file (unless you want all your settings trasferred across.) This should boot. Otherswise, you can install directly to the sd card from a running instance of eeetiger on the usb stick. After formatting to the file system you want, use the puppy universal installer to put it on the sd card. This might be best anyway, as it will configure the card properly to boot. See how you go. For eeetiger I use the internal card as my main system, the card reader for my extended disk space and my test system, and a usb install for my rescue system. Cheers. Oh, and glad you like eeetiger!!! I don't have time now, but if you are able to drop a note to the developers of Puppy 4.1 that the univeral installer didn't work in Dingo, and you needed to use Puppy 3.01, that would be a huge help! Cheers!

~dinky

MrFairGo

What's the current version?

#98 Post by MrFairGo »

Hi Dinky

Just skimmed through this entire 7-page topic. Sounds like eeeTiger might be the solution to the issue I posted at puppy.org.

I.e. wireless networking doesn't work. I have an Eee PC 900, currently booting nicely into Puppy from a 16Gb SD card in the slot. Ethernet works fine, but wireless does not. Neither sound. Ext Monitor works, but "stretched". And I can't get a DVD to play full screen (I have been buying the Eee little "presents" like the 16Gb SD card, an external DVD drive, a smaller BlueTooth dongle that doesn't stick out so far)

Speaking of BlueTooth, booting into XP I can connect and surf via my NextG phone perfectly. Is there a chance I could also do that with eeeTiger? Any tips on that?

I would like to DL and try eeeTiger, hoping it addresses all the above issues. However, I am wondering if this is the latest release, that is therefore most likely to work on my machine...?

http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... etiger.iso

Thanks

Cheers from North Qld

MrFairGo
MrFairGo full retail plus shipping property in North Queensland

aarf

Re: What's the current version?

#99 Post by aarf »

MrFairGo wrote: Speaking of BlueTooth, booting into XP I can connect and surf via my NextG phone perfectly. Is there a chance I could also do that with eeeTiger? Any tips on that?

I would like to DL and try eeeTiger, hoping it addresses all the above issues. However, I am wondering if this is the latest release, that is therefore most likely to work

Thanks

Cheers from North Qld

MrFairGo

The new Gprs connect feature on puppy 4.1beta could do with more testers.
See
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=60
and
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33529

for details.

dinky

#100 Post by dinky »

Hi MrFairGo, here's an answer to your questions:

As far as I know sound is not possible yet on the eeepc900 with eeetiger, due to needing a more recent kernel. If this bothers you, don't use it. You may be able to get sound working on your own, but it's more likely this will become a feature when I rebuild from Puppy 4.1, after it's released.

I haven't found a way to work around the screen image being stretched with an external monitor, let me know if you figure it out. Wireless does work on the 701, so I assume it will also work on the 900. Let me know how you go. WPA encryption isn't that well supported in Puppy (TKIP works), but WEP is fine. Regarding playing media full-screen, should be fine. eeetiger uses Xine-ui, so simply hit F when playing and you will get full screen. Current bluetooth support in Linux is very very basic, so don't hold your breathe. Check out Aarf's link though, he might be onto something.

The link you posted is the most recent release of eeetiger, let me know how you go. I'm working on a rebuild of eeetiger from Puppy 4, but it's going to be awhile. Nothing to test as of yet I'm afraid. Cheers,

~dinky

MrFairGo

questions and comments

#101 Post by MrFairGo »

dinky wrote:As far as I know sound is not possible yet on the eeepc900 with eeetiger, ... it's more likely this will become a feature when I rebuild from Puppy 4.1, after it's released.
Thanks Dinky. I have little time for this, so I am happy to wait.
dinky wrote:I haven't found a way to work around the screen image being stretched with an external monitor, let me know if you figure it out. Wireless does work on the 701, so I assume it will also work on the 900. Let me know how you go.
OK, will do.
dinky wrote:WPA encryption isn't that well supported in Puppy (TKIP works), but WEP is fine.
I live in the bush and there's no house anywhere near close enough to piggy-back onto my wireless or try to snoop my network, so I have never bothered to set up encryption. Makes it a little easier. :)
dinky wrote:Current bluetooth support in Linux is very very basic, so don't hold your breathe. Check out Aarf's link though, he might be onto something.
I read it through: looks promising. There is of course a big difference between GPRS and NextG, but from the client point of view there should be no difference. It's pretty easy (using my iMate JasJam running WM6) to connect with XP or Vista. Again. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for your assistance.
MrFairGo full retail plus shipping property in North Queensland

wrybread

#102 Post by wrybread »

Has anyone successfully installed and run this on a thumbdrive? I used unetbootin to install eeeTiger to a thumbdrive, but it won't boot past the boot manager screen.

I've used unetbootin with other Puppy distros, but only based on 4.0.

I'm on an Asus eee 1000H if that matters.

aarf

#103 Post by aarf »

wrybread wrote:Has anyone successfully installed and run this on a thumbdrive? I used unetbootin to install eeeTiger to a thumbdrive, but it won't boot past the boot manager screen.

I've used unetbootin with other Puppy distros, but only based on 4.0.

I'm on an Asus eee 1000H if that matters.
I am successfully thumbdrive grub booting eeetiger on my eeePc 701 but have failed to eeetiger boot a number of other computers using the same thumbdrive so it may be that something (a module?) is missing in eeeTiger for your model.
However eeeTiger is not a fast boot.

dinky

#104 Post by dinky »

eeetiger was never intended for any computers other than the Asus eeepc, with support hovering around the 700 models. If you can get eeetiger working on more recent eeepc's, well and good. If you have to do anything funky to them, let us know!

eeetiger is based on TigerPup, which is able to boot on a wide range of computers. Puppy 3.01 does not support the eeepc's withut alot of woork, which I put into this. Puppy 4.1 however, does, though support isn't quite out of the box yet. Both eeetiiger and TigerPup are being blended into Project Ripple for the next release, which is getting closer. Will feature updated scripts, newer compiz-fusion packages, an interactive dockbar, desktop widgets, and a whole lot else besides. Oh yes, and support in Puppy 4.1 (current build of ripple) is much better foor ore recent eeepc models. I'll be posting test isos in the next couple weeks before a final release, so watch this space.

Re getting eeetiger (current version) running on a usb, see the first post of this thread, I've posted info there in depth. Good luck.
~dinky

dinky

UPDATED EEETIGER!!!

#105 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, first beta release for Ripple is available. Eeetiger is blending into this project, and no more releases will be made as eeetiger. Ripple takes off where eeetiger leaves off. A list of a few features:

- interactive dock bar
- widget layer, similar to OSX dashboard
- based on puppy 4.1
- smaller size
- supports pfix=ram option
- very cool

The small size is still needing to be implemented, but you get the idea. Currently the beta test is a remastered version of Puppy 4.1, so it's a similar size to eeetiger... 242Mb. This will change when I rebuild from unleashed, it will be around the 130-150ish mark, possibly smaller.

Anyway, please have a play, and get back to me! Currently it's customized for the eeepc 701, other users might have to customise it slightly to get it working. The final release will support all versions.

This thread remains for eeetiger support. To download Ripple, and leave feedback, go here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 026#246026