eeetiger

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
firak

#46 Post by firak »

dinky wrote:Hi Firak, can you list exactly what problems you are having, and what you've tried? Basically, if you are on the eeepc 701, it should work flawlessly. If not, then the problem is likely the iso. Have you tried md5sum? Opera works fine, as does Compiz-Fusion...
THAKS dinky for replay,
let me try agaii with a fresh iso.
what si md5sum ? hat i shuld ususe for?
my problem is that opera does not start.
the italian keybord in the 2 letter xorg set up does not meke eny chage
other mrograms like pully pakkge manager start and kill themself whitout doyng anythink.

let me try anain to download the iso, and try again,i will let you kow.
it is ok to download from:
iso: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... etiger.iso 257 Mb ?

I dont kow hou to use big torrent-
firak

dinky

#47 Post by dinky »

Yeah, that's the correct site. md5sum is a command you run in the terminal on a file to get a nice long number that hopefully matches the number of the original file... you'll see a md5sum number for most downloads with linux. Cheers.

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

have made some successful eeetiger bootings from usb flashdrive with grub menu.lst

Code: Select all

title eeetiger bootable USB
root (hd0,0)
kernel /eeetiger/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 vga=785 hdc=noprobe PMEDIA=usbflash layerfs=aufs 
initrd /eeetiger/initrd.gz
after a quick offline look I must say it is very visually impressive even after using fusion on knoppix. also preferable the eeetiger file manager over puppy straight. eeetiger has a battery charge monitor which i noticably miss in pupeee.

some notes:

eeetiger fails at booting when my pupeee created pup_save.2fs is selected or autoloaded, it drops out to requiring to type xwin but still fails to boot after typing xwin and also fails with a optional suffix to xwin that it also offers. but eeetiger will load its own created pup-save.2fs. pupeee also loads eeetiger created pup-save.2fs puppee also loads eetiger.sfs.

eeetiger.sfs will load from directory /eeetiger/eeetiger.sfs but then when booting pupeee from grub instead of eeetiger, pupeee will also load the /eeetiger/eeetiger.sfs instead of its own /pupeee/pupeee.sfs. possibly alphabetical heiarchy of searchng for a .sfs to load.
thought maybe with different pup_saves for each of pupeee and eeetiger it would be possible to use tigerpup menu>puppy setup>boot manager to "puppy boot confguration' to solve this but "puppy boot confguration' requires .sfs files in /mnt/home. still a solution is there somewhere but needs someone with more knowledge than me to look at it.
other not wanted/incorrect .sfs are also loaded in preference off an additional usb flash drive when booting eeetiger.

the flash screen of bootup hides the selection menu of listed pup_saves if there is more than one to choose from but selection can be made by guessing 0,1 or 2, ect.

heavy encrypted pup_save fails to load on ext2 file system but this is a problem with puppy301 not with eeetiger in particular. (needed to have ext2 file system on my usb and not fat because knoppixDVD.iso at over 4gig wont go on fat file system.)

overall still some very impressive things have been done on eeetiger.

dinky

#49 Post by dinky »

Hi Aarf, glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback. Mystery about the sfs files, please let me know if you find out why this happens. Must be something to do with puppy 3.01.

For your install I'd suggest disabling the splash screen, so you don' thave to guess about save files. In grub menu.lst, add the pfix=nosplash paramater. Not as pretty, but much easier. I have a hunch it also boots up faster, but have yet to time it. Cheers!

~dinky

firak

almost solved

#50 Post by firak »

firak wrote:
dinky wrote:Hi Firak, can you list exactly what problems you are having, and what you've tried? Basically, if you are on the eeepc 701, it should work flawlessly. If not, then the problem is likely the iso. Have you tried md5sum? Opera works fine, as does Compiz-Fusion...
THAKS dinky for replay,
let me try agaii with a fresh iso.
what si md5sum ? hat i shuld ususe for?
my problem is that opera does not start.
the italian keybord in the 2 letter xorg set up does not meke eny chage
other mrograms like pully pakkge manager start and kill themself whitout doyng anythink.

let me try anain to download the iso, and try again,i will let you kow.
it is ok to download from:
iso: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... etiger.iso 257 Mb ?

I dont kow hou to use big torrent-
firak
I think i mess up the usb and also the CD was not tottaly balnk, I did not konw that what i did is not correct.
I stored in subfoldres, in the same usb, different pups, and keep in the main directory of usb the pup that I test.
I undrestend now that tis procedure is not correct, becuse pupppy sometimes load sfs files form the subdirectories, from en other version of puppy, so i wil tray again from blankCD or clan usb.

Yust to let people know, do not mix in the same device, different puppes, also in subfoders, they can mess up the startup! dont' do like me!

dinky

#51 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, just to let everyone know I'm having a hard tiem maintaining this project. While I'll keep working on it, my time is extremely limited right now. Please see the main post here in the TigerPup forum:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=150

For eeetiger to keep going, I'm going to need some help. In addition to what's needed for TigerPup, here's a short list specific to eeetiger:

- compiling avant windows navigator specific to Puppy, and testing it in eeetiger on the eeepc. I'm thinking about making this the default, and for eeetiger getting rid of wbar.
- making and testing a rebuild of eeetiger with a smaller base system sfs, (150 Mb?), and the other programs in an 'extras' sfs to be installed alongside the main system... basically, while I want the functionality eeetiger currently has, it's too big for 512 Mb and no swap file. Putting most of the programs in an extra sfs will save RAM space. I'm hoping this will help eeetiger be more stable, and speed it up. I need helping making and testing this. Currently all the 'extra' packages I made for eeetiger are in the Package manager (you can see them whenyou open it). I need someone to make an sfs file with all of them added together.
- Instructions for how to get the microphone working. I did it the other day using audacity, and playing around with settings in alsamixer (type alsamixer in terminal), but can't figure it out again. It does work...
- suspend command working, and/or hibernate

Let me know if anyone is able to help with the above, or anything from TigerPup. Cheers.
~dinky

tupis

Thank You

#52 Post by tupis »

THANK YOU DINKY :D :D

Now I can show off my eepc 701 4G !!!
This is very cool... makes mac friends envy too. 8)

Problems:
1. I upgraded opera to 9.51 using static package.. But turns out to be verrryyy slooow.. it looks like hang.

2. I installed skype pep.. but has no webcam support yet.
I dunno which package to download at its website for latest one.

3. I need CHM reader...

Overall eeetiger is FANTASTIC!!

Thank you sooo much for making this available.

Cheers!!

MU

#53 Post by MU »

1. I upgraded opera to 9.51 using static package.. But turns out to be verrryyy slooow.. it looks like hang.

seems to be a bug.
Have the same issue in Muppy0084beta1, Operas CPU usage is very high in compiz.
Especially if you edit forms, e.g. if you write a forum-message.

2. I installed skype pep.. but has no webcam support yet.
I dunno which package to download at its website for latest one.

Depends on your cam.
Wich model?
Please search for Muppywebcam here:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

3. I need CHM reader...

try these:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4631
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=190779

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

tupis

#54 Post by tupis »

@MU

Thanks for your hints :D

My webcam is the default built in one.
I think i will only need to download latest skype to have video conversation.

And the CHM.. it's great resource.. Thanks

dinky

#55 Post by dinky »

Hi tupis, glad to hear you like it. Thanks MU for the chm links, that's really helpful.

Tupis, please test out skype, and report back. The scripts I'm using in eeetiger are based on dw86's scripts, which apparently work. I've not tested the webcam though, so this would be really helpful. Also, please play around with alsamixer per instructions above to see if you can get the microphone working. Basically, type aslamixer in the terminal, and away you go. Let me know what you find.

Re opera 9.51, there are bugs. I've found 9.51 slightly better than 9.50, but there are definite bugs over previous releases. I'm still planning on updating to this for the next release of eeetiger, but am hoping more releases to fix problems will be coming out. Anyway, I've never tried updating via the pet packages for opera, and don't recommend it.

Firslty, uninstall any Opera Pet packages you're using. Then go to http://www.opera.com/download/linux/
and choose "Other/Static deb" from the drop down list. Tick the box which says 'download this package in TAR.GZ format'. Put this anywhere, then extract it. Open the extracted folder, then right click and choose 'open terminal here'. Once terminal is open, type

Code: Select all

./install.sh
and hit enter. This will runn the upgrade script for Opera. Just select yes to everything, it is asking you if you want to write these files over the old ones. All your bookmarks, settings, etc, will be kept. Let us know how you go!
~dinky

dinky

#56 Post by dinky »

Tupis, just re-read your post, looks like you updated from the static package...lol. I'm a bit dense, and am working at the moment... or trying too...

It looks like a bug then. You could always try saving your opera config files, then deleting all your opera folders, and trying the script again... drastic, I know, but might work. Otherwise, try a pet package after wiping all your old opera files. That might work too. I'm less excited with opera now, too many bugs in recent releases. Good luck
~dinky

MU

#57 Post by MU »

I had no look at eeetiger yet, so just some general hints.
Cameras need Kernelmodules, like gspca or pwc.
I don't know which one the eeepc needs.
This might be found in the eeepc thread.

Muppywebcam includes pwc and gspca, the most common.
But there are also some others around.

So if you find out, which is needed:
add it to /lib/modules/...
run:
depmod -a
Add such a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
modprobe gspca
or
modprobe pwc
Then it would be available in skype and other applications.

I think the webcam issue was discussed and solved in the thread for the eeepc puplet, so I suggest you search there for the correct procedure.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

dinky

#58 Post by dinky »

Thanks MU. And please let us know when you find the correct way to run the webcam, so I can add it by default. Cheers!
~dinky

capatt

#59 Post by capatt »

Hello
Does Tiger work on the model 901?
Thanks

capatt

#60 Post by capatt »

Hello
Does Tiger work on the model 901?
Thanks

(sorry for the double post)

tupis

#61 Post by tupis »

@ dinky & mu

I downloaded skype at http://www.puppylinux.ca/bugs/skype-2.0.0.72.pet
But I can't installed it. Puppy said that i ran out of space.. !!??!!

It said i only have 52something (i think it's 524mb or 54mb) left while it needed 584mb or 58mb. <-- Sorry I don't take note of these figures.. i was in hurry testing it.

I don't really understand which space this reffered to.. RAM or Disk Space.
Skype pet itself is 21MB.. so either my ram or disk should still can accomodate that easily.

Just for information:
I installed eeetiger on a 1GB SD card and booted from it while plugged in the built in SD slot.

Anyway, i will try again later and maybe from a static package.
But sorry that i'm occupied this week.. i dunno if i can report back soon.
I'll post back asap.
and also thanks for opera hints.. but maybe i will try later when i got more time.

Cheers!!

smokey01

#62 Post by smokey01 »

tupis wrote:@ dinky & mu

I downloaded skype at http://www.puppylinux.ca/bugs/skype-2.0.0.72.pet
But I can't installed it. Puppy said that i ran out of space.. !!??!!

It said i only have 52something (i think it's 524mb or 54mb) left while it needed 584mb or 58mb. <-- Sorry I don't take note of these figures.. i was in hurry testing it.
tupis it sounds like you may need more personal storage file space.

On the start menu: Utility > Resize personal storage file

Follow the prompts. Remember you can't allocate more space than you have. This is referring to the pup_save file.

tupis

#63 Post by tupis »

@smokey01

I tried your suggestion, but i received the same error message.
The skype-2.0.0.72.pet package has been downloaded to /root/.packages,
however there is not enough room to uncompress and install it.
The free space is 57314 blocks but it is estimated you will
need 86128 blocks temporarily for the expansion and install.

Note: If you are using a pup_save.3fs personal storage file,
it can be made bigger -- see Utilities menu.

This script will now delete the package and exit...
Note: i get exactly the same message before & after i resize.

So.. i guess it must be RAM issue or maybe i should try to install from static package.. later.

Thanks.

tupis

#64 Post by tupis »

Deleted... Double post

Sorry

dinky

#65 Post by dinky »

Hi Tupis, try installing pet package from /root, sometimes that is needed. Thanks for all the testing there, will reply to it a bit later.

Capatt, see the main post, eeetiger is mainly working. You will need to edit one of your files, details are in the main post. The exception is sound, not working yet that I know of. Let me know how you go!
dinky