eeetiger

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#31 Post by dinky »

Hmmm. Interesting. Perhap the 2g is clocked at the hardware level? How does this work with the eeepc 4g 701 then? When I check hardinfo, it says that my processor is 900 Mhz... that would suggest to me that on the 701 at least, the underclocking is done at a software level through Xandros... not with everything, but noticed that eeetiger runs considerably quicker than the default Xandros setup. Also, as Asus are advertising the eeepc 900 at 1.2 Ghz, I would assume they haven't underclocked that model at all...

Any thoughts on this? Also, did you get your wireless working Lobster? It is odd to me you were having so much trouble, as my eeepc wors flawlessly with eeetiger for wireless... what is your current setup, perhaps I can help you fix it.
~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

dinky wrote:Also, did you get your wireless working Lobster? It is odd to me you were having so much trouble, as my eeepc works flawlessly with eeetiger for wireless... what is your current setup, perhaps I can help you fix it.
~dinky
No still not working. It works with Xandros so I use that.
I am using 4G version, WPA2, shared router . . .
The router is a Netgear.
The network is found but 'not available' from the wifi wizard
(think that is the message)
I tried running the wifi wizard several times
but made no difference . . .

:cry:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#33 Post by dinky »

Try deleting any profiles you currently have under the network wizard, then run it again. I'll try with wpa2 when I get a chance. Noticed the other day that if you have profiles which don't work, sometimes goes screwy. Probably worth while restarting the program after you delete profiles. Definitely wors fine with wep.
~dinky

mchasard

#34 Post by mchasard »

i discover this eeetiger version , i like it but i encounterd troubles using it ...
first i use it under a usblive (not instal) and have a pupsave file on this key about 512Mo like its specify ...every time i would like to install other soft or update already soft installed , eeepc block just after launching install...i tried with opera 9.51 and also with firefox 3.1 ...so i don't believe its due to not enough space ...
i know that eeetiger is a new project for eeepc but i hope it will be another version without those troubles ...

thanls in advance ...if somebodies could confirm same troubles ..;

mchasard

#35 Post by mchasard »

i discover this eeetiger version , i like it but i encounterd troubles using it ...
first i use it under a usblive (not instal) and have a pupsave file on this key about 512Mo like its specify ...every time i would like to install other soft or update already soft installed , eeepc block just after launching install...i tried with opera 9.51 and also with firefox 3.1 ...so i don't believe its due to not enough space ...
i know that eeetiger is a new project for eeepc but i hope it will be another version without those troubles ...

thanls in advance ...if somebodies could confirm same troubles ..;

dinky

#36 Post by dinky »

Hi matey, I'm having a hard time understanding your english. Have had no trouble installing software on eeetiger, so it's unlikely this current version. Can you please state clearly what exactly is going on, and the steps you have taken? I'm running both Opera 9.51 and Firefox 3.01 without any problems whatsoever.
~dinky

aarf

#37 Post by aarf »

downloaded eeetiger md5sumed clicked-extracted and copied into /boot/eeetiger on USB
edited grub menu.lst to

Code: Select all

title eeetiger bootable USB

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/eeetiger/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 

initrd /boot/eeetiger/initrd.gz
rebooted and noted that /pupeee/pup_301-eee.sfs loaded and not the required /boot/eeetiger/pup_301-eeetiger.sfs

so how do i configure grub to find the correct .sfs, past usage says copy the .sfs to the / directory but i want to keep all related files in one folder.

mchasard

#38 Post by mchasard »

sorry for my english ...i'm french ....ok so i'm trying again to explain the step till my trouble ...

1) i'm downloading firefox3.1.pet and also opera9.51.pet and save all on a usbkey ...

2) i try to run one of them to install , ( firefox) the extension is recognize and i have an invitation to install or to abort install...so i choose install ...and after 2sec my eeepc freeze and all is blocked .;;note that i can't see any windows that show me the begining of any install ...

3)note also that through puppy software installer i haven't such troubles , i succeed to install xchat ...but my desire is to install updated soft ...like the above ...

hope it's more clear ... so perhaps an answer ....

dinky wrote:Hi matey, I'm having a hard time understanding your english. Have had no trouble installing software on eeetiger, so it's unlikely this current version. Can you please state clearly what exactly is going on, and the steps you have taken? I'm running both Opera 9.51 and Firefox 3.01 without any problems whatsoever.
~dinky

ttuuxxx

#39 Post by ttuuxxx »

mchasard wrote:sorry for my english ...i'm french ....ok so i'm trying again to explain the step till my trouble ...

1) i'm downloading firefox3.1.pet and also opera9.51.pet and save all on a usbkey ...

2) i try to run one of them to install , ( firefox) the extension is recognize and i have an invitation to install or to abort install...so i choose install ...and after 2sec my eeepc freeze and all is blocked .;;note that i can't see any windows that show me the begining of any install ...

3)note also that through puppy software installer i haven't such troubles , i succeed to install xchat ...but my desire is to install updated soft ...like the above ...

hope it's more clear ... so perhaps an answer ....

dinky wrote:Hi matey, I'm having a hard time understanding your english. Have had no trouble installing software on eeetiger, so it's unlikely this current version. Can you please state clearly what exactly is going on, and the steps you have taken? I'm running both Opera 9.51 and Firefox 3.01 without any problems whatsoever.
~dinky
I don't have one of these pc's but I have the same issue with puppy, the best way around it is copy your firefox from your stick to root, Basically drag and drop it, and select copy.
then click to install it. I bet it works from root.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

dinky

#40 Post by dinky »

Hi mchasard, I've run across similar problems before. Tux is right, sometimes puppy appears to stuff up when not installing pet package from root. give that a go.

Firstly though, while there are advantages to installing Firefox from a pet file, it's not necessary. Depending on the package, it can come pre-packaged with flash, which can be a real advantage. i haven't tried installing Firefox from a pet package. Firefox runs perfectly fine from an extracted tar file ANYWHERE on your system. Simply download the linux version, click on it to open xarchive (or right cllick and choose xarchive if anything funky happens), then choose the path to extract to. The default path for most linux installs for firefox is /usr/lib/mozilla, so unless you have a good reason not to, put it there. Then navigate to /usr/lib/mozilla/firefox/firefox and right click on the firefox icon. Choose the option 'send to desktop', and away you go! You should now have an executable link on your desktop of firefox. Enjoy!

Opera is even easier. Don't bother with the pet package, you might stuff up your install. eeetiger comes with opera and flash preinstalled, so all you need to do is updaate opera. It's easy. Go to Opera's download site, and look for the static deb tar package. Download it into any folder, and click to extract it. If you need to choose xarchive. Open up a terminal there. (once folder is open, right click and choose open terminal)

Next, type the executable name, with

./
in front of it. It will be .sh something or other, I forget exactly. Once you've typed part of it, you can click Tab to automatically fill in the rest. Hit enter, and Opera's install script will run. Accept ok or yes to all the questions, it's asking you if you want to update Opera. All your setting will be kept. Let me know how you go.

Your English is far better than my french! Thanks for posting.

@aarf
It's probably an error with your grub script... I've run across something similar before. Can you post your entire grub menu.lst file here? Thanks,
~dinky

aarf

#41 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote: @aarf
It's probably an error with your grub script... I've run across something similar before. Can you post your entire grub menu.lst file here? Thanks,
~dinky

timeout 5

default 3

# Pretty colours

color cyan/blue white/blue

#

title pupeee4.301 on bootable USB

root (hd0,0)

kernel /pupeee4.301/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=usbflash

initrd /pupeee4.301/initrd.gz

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/eeetiger/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 

initrd /boot/eeetiger/initrd.gz

title Knoppix 5.3.1 from sdb1 ISO

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.531/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/sdb1/boot/knoppix.531/*.iso vga=785 noprompt apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=us dma screen=1024x768 hostname=knx531 highres=off loglevel=0 libata.atapi_enabled=1 SELINUX_INIT=NO nmi_watchdog=0 ntfs_rw 

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.531/minirt_531.gz

boot

title Knoppix 5.3.1 from sdc1 ISO with home

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.531/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/sdb1/boot/knoppix.531/*.iso home=/media/sdb1/knoppix.img vga=785 noprompt apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=us dma screen=1024x768 hostname=knx531 highres=off loglevel=0 libata.atapi_enabled=1 SELINUX_INIT=NO nmi_watchdog=0 ntfs_rw 

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.531/minirt_531.gz

boot

dinky

#42 Post by dinky »

Hi aarf, try putting eeetiger's files only one directory down, not two. So try either /boot/ or /eeetiger/, not /boot/eeetiger/

Not entirely ure, but i think Puppy has issues with more than one level down. Try this and see how you go.
~dinky

firak

amazing! but still experimental

#43 Post by firak »

I apresciate a lot the work to get colpix fusino in the eee,
a see iis very nice,
but the is still exerimental for me.
Is non yet working ok for me.
I prapare an usb from eepuppy
I istall on usbthe 4 files extracted ftom the iso.
change the sislinux.cnfig coordign to the istruction.

and it boots, and is very veri nice, amazing!
wirelss works
brouser dilo works
but.......
somthing is not ok.
Opera - is not starting
colpix fusion cmand does not respond
installere does not install
it keybord - is not workin
some porgames do not work ok

does I use a wrong iso?

Is it possible i don't kow kolpix fusion how to star o work.

so till now im curios, but dont' menge to use eetigher,
but i like.

If somebody can help for a correct istalletion, I woul palay with.

(sorry for my english)
Firak
an italian puppy fun
running pupeee301+opera+ooffice on eeepc4g happily

dinky

#44 Post by dinky »

Hi Firak, can you list exactly what problems you are having, and what you've tried? Basically, if you are on the eeepc 701, it should work flawlessly. If not, then the problem is likely the iso. Have you tried md5sum? Opera works fine, as does Compiz-Fusion...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#45 Post by Lobster »

Try deleting any profiles you currently have under the network wizard, then run it again.
Worked! :lol:
using it now . . .
time to plug in my rubber keyboard (may be
suitable for fetish usage - not sure if I want to know - rolls up) then an extrnal TFT monitor and USB mouse
What fun - thanks Dinky.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

firak

#46 Post by firak »

dinky wrote:Hi Firak, can you list exactly what problems you are having, and what you've tried? Basically, if you are on the eeepc 701, it should work flawlessly. If not, then the problem is likely the iso. Have you tried md5sum? Opera works fine, as does Compiz-Fusion...
THAKS dinky for replay,
let me try agaii with a fresh iso.
what si md5sum ? hat i shuld ususe for?
my problem is that opera does not start.
the italian keybord in the 2 letter xorg set up does not meke eny chage
other mrograms like pully pakkge manager start and kill themself whitout doyng anythink.

let me try anain to download the iso, and try again,i will let you kow.
it is ok to download from:
iso: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... etiger.iso 257 Mb ?

I dont kow hou to use big torrent-
firak

dinky

#47 Post by dinky »

Yeah, that's the correct site. md5sum is a command you run in the terminal on a file to get a nice long number that hopefully matches the number of the original file... you'll see a md5sum number for most downloads with linux. Cheers.

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

have made some successful eeetiger bootings from usb flashdrive with grub menu.lst

root (hd0,0)
kernel /eeetiger/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 vga=785 hdc=noprobe PMEDIA=usbflash layerfs=aufs 
initrd /eeetiger/initrd.gz
after a quick offline look I must say it is very visually impressive even after using fusion on knoppix. also preferable the eeetiger file manager over puppy straight. eeetiger has a battery charge monitor which i noticably miss in pupeee.

some notes:

eeetiger fails at booting when my pupeee created pup_save.2fs is selected or autoloaded, it drops out to requiring to type xwin but still fails to boot after typing xwin and also fails with a optional suffix to xwin that it also offers. but eeetiger will load its own created pup-save.2fs. pupeee also loads eeetiger created pup-save.2fs puppee also loads eetiger.sfs.

eeetiger.sfs will load from directory /eeetiger/eeetiger.sfs but then when booting pupeee from grub instead of eeetiger, pupeee will also load the /eeetiger/eeetiger.sfs instead of its own /pupeee/pupeee.sfs. possibly alphabetical heiarchy of searchng for a .sfs to load.
thought maybe with different pup_saves for each of pupeee and eeetiger it would be possible to use tigerpup menu>puppy setup>boot manager to "puppy boot confguration' to solve this but "puppy boot confguration' requires .sfs files in /mnt/home. still a solution is there somewhere but needs someone with more knowledge than me to look at it.
other not wanted/incorrect .sfs are also loaded in preference off an additional usb flash drive when booting eeetiger.

the flash screen of bootup hides the selection menu of listed pup_saves if there is more than one to choose from but selection can be made by guessing 0,1 or 2, ect.

heavy encrypted pup_save fails to load on ext2 file system but this is a problem with puppy301 not with eeetiger in particular. (needed to have ext2 file system on my usb and not fat because knoppixDVD.iso at over 4gig wont go on fat file system.)

overall still some very impressive things have been done on eeetiger.

dinky

#49 Post by dinky »

Hi Aarf, glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback. Mystery about the sfs files, please let me know if you find out why this happens. Must be something to do with puppy 3.01.

For your install I'd suggest disabling the splash screen, so you don' thave to guess about save files. In grub menu.lst, add the pfix=nosplash paramater. Not as pretty, but much easier. I have a hunch it also boots up faster, but have yet to time it. Cheers!

~dinky

firak

almost solved

#50 Post by firak »

firak wrote:
dinky wrote:Hi Firak, can you list exactly what problems you are having, and what you've tried? Basically, if you are on the eeepc 701, it should work flawlessly. If not, then the problem is likely the iso. Have you tried md5sum? Opera works fine, as does Compiz-Fusion...
THAKS dinky for replay,
let me try agaii with a fresh iso.
what si md5sum ? hat i shuld ususe for?
my problem is that opera does not start.
the italian keybord in the 2 letter xorg set up does not meke eny chage
other mrograms like pully pakkge manager start and kill themself whitout doyng anythink.

let me try anain to download the iso, and try again,i will let you kow.
it is ok to download from:
iso: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... etiger.iso 257 Mb ?

I dont kow hou to use big torrent-
firak
I think i mess up the usb and also the CD was not tottaly balnk, I did not konw that what i did is not correct.
I stored in subfoldres, in the same usb, different pups, and keep in the main directory of usb the pup that I test.
I undrestend now that tis procedure is not correct, becuse pupppy sometimes load sfs files form the subdirectories, from en other version of puppy, so i wil tray again from blankCD or clan usb.

Yust to let people know, do not mix in the same device, different puppes, also in subfoders, they can mess up the startup! dont' do like me!